Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones 50 book review.
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 18, 2012 18:00

Honestman
liddas
Honestman
liddas
So far it is the best "official" photo book ever released...

You should have missed some other ones...it's a very good book ( I mean the quality of the printings), but IMO not the best!

I am quite sure I have them all!

For the quality of the material, Bill's book is the best. But the quality of the print was very poor, and I can't stand that that disordered lay out, every page looks like a table with a bunch of photos thrown on it. I mean, a phot book should let you appreciate the work of the photographer!

C

Glad you got'em all, I missed all the Out Of Reach (and of my bank account) Genesis Publications ones.
For the other ones, I didn't mentionned Bill's Book, but some that worth the readin' and the pictures at the time of their release.
The dissapointment I feel with this one , is that there's nothin' at all on Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys, and too many shots I've already seen before.
For the unseen ones I'd expected far much (but it's better than nothing) and last but not least why no words from Mick Taylor & Bill Wyman , it should have been fair !Just my 2cts winking smiley

No, wait! No, I wasn't counting the Genesis publications (that I do not have). I was referring only to the books labelled "rolling stones".

Unfortunately I am missing a lot, I know!

C

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: July 18, 2012 18:07

Picked it up a couple of days ago - I think a little pricey in my local shop at £24.00. If I'd waited, travelled further afield or even bought on-line I could have got it a bit cheaper. But it was just too tempting sitting on the shelf.
Beautifully presented and with great photographs throughout.The band's comments are nice even if there are too few of them. Sort of similar idea to Bill's Rolling With The Stones, although Bill's book is much more interesting, focusing a lot on the music, it's artwork as well as a lot of text containing interesting anecdotes about the bands career.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 2, 2012 19:31

Released in England in July, not in America until October. And then I visit Amazon.ca (Canada) and they have different listings of the book with the different publishing dates.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 2, 2012 21:48

Hello all,
I must admit that I am confused. On the US Amazon, there are a few different Rolling Stones 50 titles........which is the one that is being discussed here?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 2, 2012 21:57

I got it for £15 and it's excellent. Don't think I'd have paid £30. Lots of great pics and some nice comments.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 3, 2012 01:56

Funny thing is I live in Pittsburgh and can't find the book anywhere. You'd think it was the Beatles 50th as well judging by how many magazine covers they are on right now.

I asked someone at Barnes & Noble if they carried it and they didn't even know what it was. Any idea where I can get it without ordering online?

Date: August 3, 2012 18:50

Hound Dog
Funny thing is I live in Pittsburgh and can't find the book anywhere. You'd think it was the Beatles 50th as well judging by how many magazine covers they are on right now.

I asked someone at Barnes & Noble if they carried it and they didn't even know what it was. Any idea where I can get it without ordering online?

It's possibly because they're thinking it's just another greatest hits collection and they've simply lost track and don't care anymore about what they release.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:19

I like the book. Photos jump from 1982 to 1989 because I think the whole concept is about the Stones as a live band.
However, the sequence of the selected photos at the beginning are puzzling me a little bit. For example, you are opening the book abd it's the Stones very young with Brian. Then you go to 1989, Stones with Wood and Wyman. Then it is the four of them. I donot want to start this 'Taylor' this amd 'Taylor' that comments, but something is missing there.
On another level, in the next pages, right at the start, you have a young Mick, an older Keith, a much much younger Charlie and a much older Ronnie. Mick and Charlie black & white, the days of the past, Keith and Ronnie in colour, the Stones of yesterday. On the other hand, it might be just me looking at it this way....

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: August 4, 2012 21:54

A book came out a few years ago called 'Revealed' i think. It had full length promo shots of them from ABB on the cover. Does anyone know any book shops in London that still sell it?
I'm not into ordering online, like to look first.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 5, 2012 15:51

It's ok. The Amazon price I got it for was a bargain. I think that According... A Life on the Road and Rolling with... are better books though. Still, all great photos must be out by now, so they must've had limited material. Worth getting, but don't get your hopes up too high about the contents....

Still, it's the Stones so it's usually good. It's not like it's Van Damme's band...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 5, 2012 17:27

How did you guys get this already ??

My amazon in the US says it wont be released til 10/16/12

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2012 23:49

A book came out a few years ago called 'Revealed' i think. It had full length promo shots of them from ABB on the cover. Does anyone know any book shops in London that still sell it?

It's good but not great .... and you can check out what's inside on Amazon --- [www.amazon.co.uk]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: downhomegirl ()
Date: August 6, 2012 07:15

jaggerman
How did you guys get this already ??

My amazon in the US says it wont be released til 10/16/12

Jaggerman, you can go to amazon.co.uk and order it. I got it from the UK for $38.50 including shipping.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 15:23

I have seen this book in waterstones for £30 but have seen it at HMV for £18 i dont think there is any difference.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 6, 2012 15:51

They made a small splash in The UK with an exhibition of photos at Somerset House and the book was out on 12th July. Currently 17.67 GBP at amazon.co.uk

Shame about Wymans lack of involvement. I recall seeing on TV he had his own photo exhibition somewhere (Netherlands, I think) and included were unseen photos from his private collection, now that would have been a goldmine for new material for this book

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 16:01

Rockman

It's good but not great .... and you can check out what's inside on Amazon --- [www.amazon.co.uk]

Cheers for that.

Date: August 6, 2012 16:57

The balloon's gone flat, but I'm still enjoying the book!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 18, 2012 14:15

Has somebody bought the new (and enhanced) eBook version (out 16-Oct-2012, for Amazon Kindle and Apple iPad)?

Is it worth if you already have the printed version?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 23:15 by Irix.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home