Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Tom Waits on Letterman Last Night
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2012 02:47

Stoneage
whitem8
Stoneage
I don't buy Tom Waits "schtick" anymore. Or maybe it isn't a schtick - he's actually retarded. Looking like a 30s hobo, sounding like a jaw breaker. What hobo would talk about acronyms anyway?

Far from being retarded, he is an American icon. A brilliant musician, writer, and at times a great actor. He has written some incredible music and is one of the most unique performers ever to grace a stage. You might not "get" him, but he isn't a hobo, and Wait's is a true talent with passion and wit.

Sure Whitem8, I know that. I used to like him in the late 80s. He had a couple of hits, mostly covers though. I do think he has become somewhat of a cartoon figure. There's my critism. I think he's over the top. Kind of like Michael Jackson with his glove and Bob Dylan with his social fobia or Van the Man with his black three piece suits (even when it's 30 C).

Too bad for you. As for Waits, he's just gotten better and better.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 12, 2012 02:49

I agree 71tele, he is incredible. Bad As Me is one of my favorites, ranks up there with Rain Dogs and Swordfish Trombone, and Bone Machine. Amazing. His voice is a revelation on a few of the songs. Amazing.

Date: July 12, 2012 02:50

whitem8
I agree 71tele, he is incredible. Bad As Me is one of my favorites, ranks up there with Rain Dogs and Swordfish Trombone, and Bone Machine. Amazing. His voice is a revelation on a few of the songs. Amazing.

Those are my favorites too, along with Mule Variations and Real Gone.

Date: July 12, 2012 02:52

I love Mule, Real Gone was a bit of a let down for me, but then he slams his fans with a three disc set! Love Bastards!

Date: July 12, 2012 02:55

whitem8
I love Mule, Real Gone was a bit of a let down for me, but then he slams his fans with a three disc set! Love Bastards!

I think he went overboard with Metropolitan Glide and a few other "mouth percussion" ones on RG, but I just love Make It Rain, Hoist That Rag, Sins Of The Father, and Day After Tomorrow - up there with the best work he's done. The most recent one didn't stay on heavy rotation with me nearly as long as the last few, but it's still quite good.

Date: July 12, 2012 02:58

Oh you are forgetting Trampled Rose! One of my favorite of his new songs, and from RG. Yeah, you hit it exactly right, the mouth percussion stuff wore on me. But all the other songs you mentioned are classics. Make it Rain on Letterman!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home