Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Venues in London area in the 60's featuring some Stones content.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 7, 2021 06:16

I found this a very interesting read.

Just come across this website giving a lot of info about bands in Kingston /Richmond /SW London venues in the 60's.

A few names I can remember from friends at school back then.

[garagehangover.com]

Re: Venues in London area in the 60's featuring some Stones content.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 7, 2021 13:41

Thanks! Interesting stuff. One of the coolest music circles ever was that early/mid 60's London club circuit (before the Swingin' London really took off - although nothing wrong with that either...). So much talent popping up.

Brian and Keith seemingly had problems with their guitar string at 'The Cellar'...

- Doxa

Re: Venues in London area in the 60's featuring some Stones content.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 8, 2021 01:44

I was only 10 years old in 1962 and knew The Stones were playing in the Kingston area from the Surrey Comet newspaper,and also older friends that heard about it, as well as they saw them at Richmond.
The Stones only performed at Kingston at The Cellar Club September 12th 1963,and Kingston Granada February 13th 1964,where they were a support band for Everly Brothers if I remember, but I wanted to go to the gig but Mum and Dad said no as school the next day I think.
Anyway, I know exactly where the original Cellar Club was opposite the main post office, and just a Cellar of an ordinary house.
Where The Stones played, was down by The River Thames behind the Odeon Cinema, but sadly never got to see any gigs there.
I wasn't even a teenager back then, but had also heard of a great guitar player, playing outside The Crown Pub, in the Market Place now and then, and many years later found out it was Eric Clapton, who was living in the area back then.
Also Jimmy Page only lived nearby in Epsom, and he also done busking and playing in local bands at The Cellar Club.

I really wish I was around to watch this Stones gig back then, and I just wonder if it was Stu who got the bollocking, from Brian and Keith about the guitar strings, or someone else?

I had a great childhood in my hometown, and our dear 95 year old Mum now, took a few of us youngsters to see Tamla Motown show, and Dusty Springfield at Kingston Granada, early to mid 60's as well. God Bless You Mum. smileys with beer

Peter Bann
NOVEMBER 17, 2015 AT 9:54 AM
I saw the Rolling Stones at the Cellar Club. I had only heard that they were supposed to be very good from a work colleague (Bentalls) who saw them in Richmond. They arrived in an old Bedford Dormobile and looked very strange. They did not wear a uniform – pretty much compulsary for bands until then and their long hair and bad complexions made them seem to belong to a different society and culture from middle class Kingston.
When they started I could hardly distinguish the sounds because of the high sound volume in the low roofed club. I managed to tune in by about the third number which was one of my favourite Chuck Berry songs : Jaguar and the Thunderbird. I remember that throughout the performance Keith and Bryan continually broke their strings and cursed at the poor guy who didn’t restring the guitars quickly enough for them.
I wanted to see more of them after that but they moved on away from clubs and toured cinemas with the Everly Brothers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home