Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

R.I.P. Byron Berline - Fiddle Player on “Country Honk”
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: July 11, 2021 23:19

Re: R.I.P. Byron Berline - Fiddle Player on “Country Honk”
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 12, 2021 22:36

Excellent player. The heavenly choir/orchestra awaits your presence. RIP.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 13, 2021 01:38

Country Honk. Damn, that is some good, good stuff.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 13, 2021 01:49

He played on two songs on Bill's Monkey Grip album, including this one which I maintain ranks in the top 10 of tracks made by a Rolling Stone as a solo artist.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 13, 2021 04:59

Oh my, I hate to disagree loog droog, but the song you linked sounds like a parody of country music. The banjo on it sounds like a tape sped up and run amuck. It's right up there with Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling" as a song you never wanna hear again. Of course, all of this is my own humble opinion.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2021 16:41

Have read about his passing on various social media accounts etc.
Nearly every one of them leads with "fiddler player on Country Honk passes" or similar.

Amazing to me as accomplished as he was in the bluegrass world as well as all the other artists/bands that he sat in on sessions with, the Country Honk is regarded as his most famous session.
Says a lot about the Stones in terms of respect for them and what I considered to be more of a hardcore fan favorite than a mainstream one. RIP.

Excerpt from his NY Times obit..

Byron Berline, Master of the Bluegrass Fiddle, Dies at 77
His updated version of an old-timey approach enhanced recordings by everyone from Bill Monroe to the Rolling Stones.

Mr. Parsons recommended Mr. Berline for what would become undoubtedly his most famous session appearance: the freewheeling fiddle part he added to “Country Honk,” the Rolling Stones’ down-home take on their 1969 pop smash “Honky Tonk Women.” Recorded in Los Angeles, the song was included on “Let It Bleed,” the group’s landmark album released that December.

“I went in and listened to the track and started playing to it,” Mr. Berline said of his experience with the Stones in a 1991 interview with The Los Angeles Times.

When he was summoned to the control booth, he recalled, he feared the band was unhappy with his work. Instead, they invited him to recreate his performance on the sidewalk along Sunset Boulevard, where the Elektra studio, where they were recording the track, was located. Hence the car horns and other ambient street sounds captured on the session.

“There was a bulldozer out there moving dirt,” Mr. Berline said. “Mick Jagger went out himself and stopped the guy.”
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: July 15, 2021 06:32

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home