Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy Birthday Jack Bruce
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 14, 2021 22:42

May 14, 1943. Great singer, great musician, Charlie Watts former room mate.. Songs For a Tailor is well worth a listen. Gone but forgotten...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Happy Birthday Jack Bruce
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2021 03:07

Mick Taylor terrible career move hooking up with Bruce.It’s amazing that their band broke up before the Stones’ 1975 Tour was finished

Date: May 16, 2021 15:28

RIP Jack †

Date: May 16, 2021 15:35

Taylor1
Mick Taylor terrible career move hooking up with Bruce.It’s amazing that their band broke up before the Stones’ 1975 Tour was finished

I have seen this band in 1975 on the pinkpop festival in Holland. There's no bootleg, but I do remember they sounded great.

Date: May 16, 2021 18:55

Not forgetting he played upright bass in Rocket 88 with Ian Stewart so theres plenty of Stones connections. Never cared much for his jazz fusion solo stuff..heres he is with Stu and Charlie among others, audio not great...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 16, 2021 19:27

One great bass player, up there with Miroslav Vitus (probably spelled wrong), Jack Cassidy, Phil Lesh, Errol Carter and a few other outstanding players who could solo for extended periods without boring the audience. Great singer too, very low key but at the same time evocative. He was the key member of Cream if you ask me.

jb

Date: May 16, 2021 19:30

I like Bill Wyman better

Date: May 17, 2021 02:11

Taylor1
I like Bill Wyman better

You may well, but a) it is not Bill Wyman's birthday, and b) when it comes to depth of skill and talent, there is no comparison, and Bill is not coming out on the favorable end of that equation.

But of course there is always room for personal opinion.

jb

Date: May 17, 2021 03:22

Late in his career- he obviously still had "it".

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2021 03:53

jbwelda
Taylor1
I like Bill Wyman better

You may well, but a) it is not Bill Wyman's birthday, and b) when it comes to depth of skill and talent, there is no comparison, and Bill is not coming out on the favorable end of that equation.

jb
Thats your opinion.I respect it because you are right technique wisehe was better.ButBill as part of the Stones was magical.Bruce would not have been

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-17 03:54 by Taylor1.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 17, 2021 14:05

Happy Birthday to the late great bassist virtuoso !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: May 17, 2021 21:14

Taylor1
jbwelda
Taylor1
I like Bill Wyman better

jb
Thats your opinion.I respect it because you are right technique wisehe was better.ButBill as part of the Stones was magical.Bruce would not have been

I don't hear that Jack Bruce was technically better that much compared to Bill. Jack had more harmonic development though; Because of his classical and jazzy background.

Date: May 17, 2021 21:47

Apples to oranges comparison IMHO. Bill is the consumate ensemble player,never overplays, perfect lock with Charlie. To me the band isnt quite the same without him. Jack Bruce on the other hand was a prodigy musician- cello, piano, bass- at home with classical jazz rock or blues and a hell of a singer. Much broader musical scope than Bill Wyman (but Jack Bruce wouldnt be right for the Stones, obviously)

Date: May 18, 2021 00:26

roryfaninva
Apples to oranges comparison IMHO. Bill is the consumate ensemble player,never overplays, perfect lock with Charlie. To me the band isnt quite the same without him. Jack Bruce on the other hand was a prodigy musician- cello, piano, bass- at home with classical jazz rock or blues and a hell of a singer. Much broader musical scope than Bill Wyman (but Jack Bruce wouldnt be right for the Stones, obviously)

And, of course, its not Bill Wyman's birthday and probably wasn't back on the day this post was relevant, either.

Jack Bruce would be a good bit better bass player for the Stones than who is currently serving in the spot. Even with the handicap of being deceased. And he could do the vocals of four of the other people on stage and save some expense and bother with all that.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home