Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Paolo Rossi
Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: December 10, 2020 13:49

Rip Pablito
[www.bbc.com]

Re: OT: RIP Paolo Rossi
Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: December 10, 2020 13:55

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 10, 2020 14:13

RIP Pablito sad smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 10, 2020 14:47

I remember his epic performance in the 1982 WC in Spain. He scored three against Brazil in the group stage. And one in the final against Germany. Which Italy won with 3-1.
A great player. I do remember he was involved in match-fixing as well. Prior to the 1982 WC. Unfortunately.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 10, 2020 15:03

Another great player gone. A sad year for football fans. sad smiley

During the World Cup I was in Cattolica/Italy for Holidays
and I remember watching the two games against Argentina
and Brazil. Both won by the Azzurri - and then hell
broke lose in town. What a party!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 10, 2020 16:20

Stoneage
I remember his epic performance in the 1982 WC in Spain. He scored three against Brazil in the group stage. And one in the final against Germany. Which Italy won with 3-1.
A great player. I do remember he was involved in match-fixing as well. Prior to the 1982 WC. Unfortunately.

He also scored 2 against Poland in the semifinals.

True that he was involved in that scandal, but he always claimed not guilty, and I think that in the end he was right.

One of my best memories goes back to 1985. He was at the end of his career and not in tbe best shape after many injuries. Yet, he was able to score two goals to in a 2x2 match against inter. Enough to be remembered for the ages!

C

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 10, 2020 18:53

Stoneage

I remember that day very well.

RIP Paolo Rossi.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: December 10, 2020 20:58

Stoneage

and here comes the Rolling Stones connection...

"Legend has it" that during the afternoon concert in Torino on July 11, 1982, Jagger actually predicted the score 3-1 in the world championship final match Italy-Germany (!).

Maybe there's a record of this statement in bootleg recordings of that concert.

Photo of Jagger live in Torino, July 1982

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 10, 2020 21:38

TIRED
Stoneage

"Legend has it" that during the afternoon concert in Torino on July 11, 1982, Jagger actually predicted the score 3-1 in the world championship final match Italy-Germany (!).

that is no legend, you can hear Mick say: "Italia,,,Germania...tres...uno" before going into Miss You if I remember correctly. I have it in the "Mundialito" bootleg of the first Turin concert in 1982.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 10, 2020 22:14

RIP Signor Rossi

He was the biggest star of one of the best World Cup tournaments in the history.

(1994, 2006 just in front of it).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 10, 2020 23:10

TIRED
Stoneage

He actually wore his shirt that day!

C

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: December 11, 2020 00:21

Stoneage

here in brazil we called him as ''executioner''

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: December 11, 2020 00:26

he would not dispute the world cup eye popping smiley

from wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Rossi)

Match-fixing scandal
While at Perugia, he managed 13 goals in Serie A during the 1979–80 season, also helping the club to the round of 16 of the UEFA Cup. During the season, however, he was involved in the infamous 1980 betting scandal known in Italy as Totonero, and as a result of this Rossi was disqualified for three years, although this was later reduced to a two-year ban. As a result, Rossi missed out on the 1980 European Championship with Italy, where the team once again finished in fourth place, on home soil. Despite the ban, Rossi always claimed to be innocent, and stated that he had been a victim of an injustice.[15][16]

1982 World Cup

Paolo Rossi kisses the 1982 FIFA World Cup trophy.
Despite his ban, Rossi was repurchased by Juventus in 1981, and he returned to the starting line-up just in time for the end of the 1981–82 season to contribute to the club's 1981–82 Serie A title (scoring one goal in three appearances), and to take part in the 1982 FIFA World Cup in Spain.[11] Italian journalists and tifosi initially lamented that he was in very poor shape, however, and this view seemed to be confirmed by Italy's appalling performance in the three group matches, in which he was allegedly described as a "ghost aimlessly wandering over the field".[17]

Italy manager Enzo Bearzot, however, staunchly confirmed Rossi for the decisive round robin in the second round, in which his team was to face Argentina, the reigning World Champions, and Brazil, the favourites to win the title with a team consisting of world-class players such as Sócrates, Zico, and Falcão. After Italy defeated Argentina 2–1, partly thanks to the defensive work of Claudio Gentile and Gaetano Scirea who shut down the young Argentine star Diego Maradona, Rossi scored a hat-trick to defeat Brazil 3–2 to qualify for the semi-finals.[13] In the semi-final match against Poland, Rossi's two goals won the match for Italy once again, granting them a place in the 1982 World Cup final. In the final against West Germany, Rossi scored the first of Italy's three goals, from an indirect set-piece assist from Gentile, helping Italy win the match 3–1, giving his team their third World Cup title. With six goals in total, he won the tournament's maximo goleador award, the Golden Boot, as the top scorer of the tournament, as well as the Golden Ball Award for the best player of the tournament, and he was named as part of the team of the tournament for the second consecutive time.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 11, 2020 00:53

Zico, selecao Brasileira 82, regrets the death of Paolo Rossi.
video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 00:57 by Toru A.

Posted by: marmass ()
Date: December 11, 2020 01:11

I was in Turin and Mick Jagger said Italy would have won 3 - 1 and it's real. I remember it as it was yesterday. There was a bootleg of the concert.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: December 11, 2020 09:01

Goodbye Pablito,
Another my soccer idol dead in this terrible 2020 after Anastasi and Maradona.
Sici

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: December 11, 2020 11:28

So sad to hear. Paolo Rossi was part of two unforgettable days of my life in 1982.
The Stones played two stadiumgigs in a row in Cologne at Müngersdorfer Stadium , July 4. and 5. I was blown away , two great stadium parties with all these fun people from Holland. And right in the middle of these two concerts I saw the lengedary Italy vs Brazil on tv in an Italian restaurant in colognes old town, becoming a fan of Paolo Rossi ! The Italians were freaking out . It was an afternoon game , and right after the lengendary game with partying Italians back to Müngersdorfer Stadium for the next Stones- party . What a blast , never forget this. And always in my memory : Paolo Rossi !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home