Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: The Lantern
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: April 3, 2012 06:28

drewmaster
A lovely morsel of mind-candy that fits seamlessly into the trippy sonic tapestry of TSMR. I realize this stuff may not be everyone's cup of jasmine-scented tea, but hey, it's only psychedelia, and I like it.

Drew

Nicely stated! A magic carpet ride back into 1967! Not the worst track from TSMR and certainly not the best, but definietly captures the flavor of the era. Never really paid much attention to the lyrics, but reading them here after so many years I like them...so very eerie and mystical.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 3, 2012 07:12

One of the middling tracks on TSMR. Some interesting ideas that never fully congeal into a top-shelf song.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 3, 2012 09:35

Bliss
I read a review of this long ago, where the writer made a case that this was based on a certain book of Tibetan mysticism. He analysed it line by line. At the time, Mick was ordering books from the Indica bookstore on various mystical topics.

Can anyone provide a link to the article?

I read that same book in the mid 80s. Was it Death Of A Stone by Mandy Aftel perhaps?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 3, 2012 10:07

But still its the most experimental album...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 3, 2012 10:33

Silver Dagger
Bliss
I read a review of this long ago, where the writer made a case that this was based on a certain book of Tibetan mysticism. He analysed it line by line. At the time, Mick was ordering books from the Indica bookstore on various mystical topics.

Can anyone provide a link to the article?

I read that same book in the mid 80s. Was it Death Of A Stone by Mandy Aftel perhaps?

It could well be - I own that book but have no access to it, as all my books are in storage for the moment.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 4, 2012 18:39

drewmaster
A lovely morsel of mind-candy that fits seamlessly into the trippy sonic tapestry of TSMR. I realize this stuff may not be everyone's cup of jasmine-scented tea, but hey, it's only psychedelia, and I like it.

Drew

Well said, Drew. The mix is strange, the horns out of key, but the song is inspired and inspiring.

Also agree with those who say replacement of filler with "Dandelion" and "We Love You" would have made TSMR a towering, as opposed to messy, classic. But what the hell, it's Majestic enough as is.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home