Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bravo No.28 - 1969 - "To Hell with The Rolling Stones"
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2012 13:30

Mathijs
Is this real? 'YOU YOUKA' came out in '71, didn't it? How can Brian talk about an album that wasn't released yet? And Brian stating he recorded it in Algeria is weird, and that he wants to be rich -by all accounts he was a multi millionair already.

I don't know what, but there's something a bit phony about this article.

Mathijs

Tis real alright, but as with a lot of other magazine articles they tend to mess up some facts. The record may have been a test pressing or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 14:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 2, 2012 14:10

Looks to me like Brian is pissed about the songs and the Anita thing probably didn't help either.

He says, make big bucks like Mick and Keith (the songwriters) and he says he's going to do it by writing his own world music.

Same sort of song envy happened with John Fogerty and Creedence.

Tom Fogerty was the head figure of the band early on and then John rose up and basically took over and the others were pissed off.

Same thing with Brian and Mick/Keith.

It's pretty common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 14:48 by howled.

Date: March 2, 2012 15:23

with sssoul

His Majesty
Yeah, tis just slighlty less tactful version of the press release statement eh!?

except for the title! which i reckon Brian must have said, even if they didn't put it in the article
what's that in German, baby? [ahem sorry - obscure Stones quote there!
but i am curious what the original title of the article was]

As you can now see it's the actual headline/title of the article. grinning smiley

I wonder how it would have gone down in UK press at the time!? hot smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:05

His Majesty
Mathijs
Is this real? 'YOU YOUKA' came out in '71, didn't it? How can Brian talk about an album that wasn't released yet? And Brian stating he recorded it in Algeria is weird, and that he wants to be rich -by all accounts he was a multi millionair already.

Mathijs

Tis real alright, but as with a lot of other magazine articles they tend to mess up some facts. The record may have been a test pressing or something.

Date: March 2, 2012 16:09

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Exactly! He had heard the music whether on tape or early pressing.
And Brian didn't die rich by no means. In fact he owned a lot of money, - ca. 3 Million (Pound or Dollar).

Date: March 2, 2012 16:24

His Majesty
CousinC
I still remember when that article first came out. I was kinda shocked.

As I wrote in another thread some days ago I met Beyle a year or so later and asked him about his Stones connections. While he was not really your RocknRoll guy he knew alot of what was going on around the Stones. Bravo was a Teen mag, so he could only write small parts of what really happened.
In those years as a fan you didn't have the knowledge like today with net, etc. I remember having felt very down after he told me some inside stories.

Care to share some? grinning smiley

HM, - Of course I forgot a lot. But anyhow it's not as sensational from todays view.

He talked about the bad relations of the Stones and that there were much tension among them since Satisfaction.In 1970 I just didn't really know about all that.

Plus the Anita situation,etc.But he liked Brian the most and in 69 it hadn't been shure whether the Stones would survive without him.The fans who wrote to the mag all loved him. So he said Bravo was a bit unsure after the split how they should react.

BTW. Bravo was huge in the 60's. They brought the Stones and Beatles to Germany for very succesful tours.Beyle had to look after them on those tours. He made good contact to the Stones by that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 16:31 by CousinC.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:56

CousinC
And Brian didn't die rich by no means. In fact he owned a lot of money, - ca. 3 Million (Pound or Dollar).

Sure, he bought one of the most expensive houses in England and drove his Rollers without a penny...

Mathijs

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:59

very interesting stuff CousinC... it is weird, was one of the biggest fans of the Stones in the 60s mostly, and never knew until more recently about the incredible drama within the band. All we knew was the incredible music they were putting out. Real personal situations were never discussed in all those teen type magazines and newspaper articles.

Date: March 2, 2012 17:01

Mathijs
CousinC

Sure, he bought one of the most expensive houses in England and drove his Rollers without a penny...

Mathijs

It's because of such things that he was in debt. grinning smiley

Remember, Klein hadn't been taking care of things like taxes etc etc.

Date: March 2, 2012 17:03

Blue
very interesting stuff CousinC... it is weird, was one of the biggest fans of the Stones in the 60s mostly, and never knew until more recently about the incredible drama within the band. All we knew was the incredible music they were putting out. Real personal situations were never discussed in all those teen type magazines and newspaper articles.

The Brian - Anita - Keith thing was handled with lines like "Keith with Anita Pallenberg, who used to be Brian's steady".

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:12

Its funny, in 1967, it didnt seem that big of a deal, you know, free love and all that stuff...who knew it almost, or could of broke up the band. We were all clueless at the time!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:13

His Majesty
with sssoul
i am curious what the original title of the article was]

As you can now see it's the actual headline/title of the article. grinning smiley

no no i meant what was the original German title, which i now see (thank you marcovandereijk honey!)
was "Ich pfeife auf die Rolling Stones" which babelfish translates as "i whistle on the Rolling Stones".
i don't know German but that sounds mild-mannered enough ... not like "we whistle anywhere, man!" :E

Date: March 2, 2012 17:30

with sssoul

no no i meant what was the original German title, which i now see (thank you marcovandereijk honey!)
was "Ich pfeife auf die Rolling Stones" which babelfish translates as "i whistle on the Rolling Stones".
i don't know German but that sounds mild-mannered enough ... not like "we whistle anywhere, man!" :E

[translate.google.com]

^ Use that and it comes out as To Hell with The Rolling Stones.

confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 17:35 by His Majesty.

Date: March 2, 2012 17:31

with sssoul
His Majesty
with sssoul
i am curious what the original title of the article was]

I thought, with my basic German understanding, pfeife auf means to flout, scoff or dismiss. 'I piss on the Rolling Stones' would be a modern translation.

Mathijs

Date: March 2, 2012 19:32

Re the article title, a german friend of mine says this...

To Hell! Or better even: "I don't give a damn about the Rolling Stones!"

"I whistle…" would be a literal translation, but that metaphore just doesn't exist in english. Funny idiom.
It does sound a bit dated to me. Today one would more likely say "Ich scheiß' auf die Rolling Stones" - which is basically the same, but with a bit of scatology thrown in
winking smiley

thumbs up

Date: March 2, 2012 19:51

smile: thanks gentlemen! i did gather that it's an idiom :E
i'm just trying to figure out what calibre it is.
from what you're saying it's more "adult-sounding" than "pooey on them",
but not something one would normally say nowadays ... "i don't give a hang" sort of thing

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 2, 2012 20:09

Lots of errors in that article to take it too seriously.

Now with Mick Taylor, 20, who previously played rhythm guitar with John Mayall, they've found a new Stone.

and

"I produced that one in Algeria. My first LP. Would you like to listen to them?" asks Brian.

Date: March 2, 2012 20:32

with sssoul
smile: thanks gentlemen! i did gather that it's an idiom :E
i'm just trying to figure out what calibre it is.
from what you're saying it's more "adult-sounding" than "pooey on them",
but not something one would normally say nowadays ... "i don't give a hang" sort of thing

The calibre is quite strong -I shit/piss on the Stones. It doesn't quite match up with the friendly nature of the separation.

Mathijs

Date: March 2, 2012 21:24

Mathijs
The calibre is quite strong -I shit/piss on the Stones.

thanks Mathijs - i get that the meaning is an emphatic rejection,
but i was curious about whether this German idiom is "strong language".
i mean: "pooey" means sh1t, but it's not strong language.
it's not important - just my lingusitic curiosity.
i think we can all pretty well imagine what Brian said in English :E

Date: March 2, 2012 21:50

with sssoul
Mathijs
The calibre is quite strong -I shit/piss on the Stones.

thanks Mathijs - i get that the meaning is an emphatic rejection,
but i was curious about whether this German idiom is "strong language".
i mean: "pooey" means sh1t, but it's not strong language.
it's not important - just my lingusitic curiosity.
i think we can all pretty well imagine what Brian said in English :E

Well, let one of the German members chime in! There's one other translation I know off -in the East of Holland, and the boarder with Germany, a 'pfeif' (pronounced as pfive) is a very large spittle, you know, when you spit out chewed tobacco to the ground.

Mathijs

Date: March 2, 2012 22:05

Mathijs
a 'pfeif' (pronounced as pfive) is a very large spittle

ahhh so he's GOBBING on 'em - perfect!

BRIAN JONES: "I GOB ON THE ROLLING STONES!"

i love it. James Phelge must be proud :E

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: March 3, 2012 00:53

This Article/Magazine BRAVO 28/69 was released on July-07-1969.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 3, 2012 01:28

Thanks for posting this great article -- and tanks for the translation and the scanning/posting of the original article.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what is the date on this?

thanks!
swiss

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 3, 2012 03:07

Brian Jones: "I PHELGE ON THE ROLLING STONES"

Date: March 3, 2012 10:05

swiss

see the post just above yours, where witterings tells us this issue of Bravo came out on july 7th 1969

if you mean the date of the interview itself: it sounds like it must have been june 9th or so

Date: March 3, 2012 16:04

Mathijs
CousinC

Mathijs

Mathijs, I know you know a lot about the Stones but seemingly not about this.
Brian was in debt for over 3 million, which was a lot of money in those days.
As the Stones kept being even more succesfull after his death probably his debtors/ family were taken care of later. But de died in debt.

Date: March 3, 2012 16:11

Btw. "Ich pfeife auf die Stones" is in German a rather mellow expression.
But it could be that in fact he really said "To hell with them" and Bravo mellowed it for the German fans.

Date: March 3, 2012 16:22

"Ich pfeife auf.." is pretty tame. It's the equivalent of an Italian flicking their x chin off at someone/thing. Bravo was too much of a teen magazine to use very strong language.
They used to have a feature in back of the zine where a writer would give the lyrics to a current popsong. Like Bowie, T. Rex etc. And inevitably he would end his essay saying " I can't quite explain the lyrics yet, doch Ich sehe einen roten Faden" ( I see a thread running through it). He would always promise to explain them next week, but never did.

I forgot - I actually was going to say that Brian was always ahead of everyone. What seemed to take others 10 years, he did in one. Did his "Wingless Angels" in '67

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-03 16:24 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: March 3, 2012 16:32

I thought the translation and explanation my German friend gave was good enough... Basically - To hell with them, I don't give a damn about The Rolling Stones.

Maybe he got an advanced copy of Life that day!? grinning smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 7, 2012 07:47

with sssoul
swiss

see the post just above yours, where witterings tells us this issue of Bravo came out on july 7th 1969

if you mean the date of the interview itself: it sounds like it must have been june 9th or so

hi with sssoul smiling smiley

Thank you! I started my post, got distracted, came back about 40 minutes later to finish/send it, and and didn't realize that witterings had just posted that very info! Thanks for adding the date you believe the interview took place.

- swiss

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home