Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: In my opinion I think Tattoo You is the best Rolling Stones Album.
Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:12

Brilliant album, almost changes Best Four to Best Five drinking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:30

steel driving hammer
Start Me Up was like Punk never happened.

I was a waiter in '81 and they had a radio in the back. I remember hearing it for the first time and being underwhelmed. It was like I could hear all the elements sort of creaking together. But I also knew from experience that Stones songs would grow on me. And it did over time. Probably the last genius Stones cut like that.

Punk had happened. Period. Like Rockabilly started, and ended. It's rap that didn't have the grace to rise and fall and just stop. Kind of like rock and roll now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-29 22:31 by 24FPS.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:34

I think Tattoo You is probably like number 5, after the big 4, certainly ahead of Some Girls which is a great album but more flaws than some would care to admit.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:43

kammpberg

Led by the wonderful harmony background “doo doo doo’s” and Jagger’s terrific lead vocal, Hang Fire is a highlight of the album. Similar in structure to basic Stone’s rock tracks like Emotional Rescue’s Let Me Go or Summer Romance, Hang Fire is simply so much better. The music is tighter, the lyrics are great, the guitar solo rocks (the guitar solo kicks in 48 seconds into the song), and at only 2:20, the song almost seems too short. It was the 2nd US single and peaked at #20. Hang Fire is really a lost Stones rock classic today.

Nice Review kammpberg.

I am recalling "Waiting On a Friend" was also released as a single (at least in the US). Went to #11 or #13 on the pop charts depending on the source.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 29, 2012 22:46

71Tele
It's very, very, good. You got rockers, you got ballads, you got Wood, you got Taylor. Something for everybody. It doesn't have mystique and intrigue like Exile, but it's up there among my favorites.

Yes, exactly.

With Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Stu, Wayne Perkins, Jimmy Miller, and Sonny Rollins as well. Right people on the right songs.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 1, 2012 01:06

definitely in my top 5! I listen to it more than Beggars and Let It Bleed.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 1, 2012 16:46

SweetThing
kammpberg

Led by the wonderful harmony background “doo doo doo’s” and Jagger’s terrific lead vocal, Hang Fire is a highlight of the album. Similar in structure to basic Stone’s rock tracks like Emotional Rescue’s Let Me Go or Summer Romance, Hang Fire is simply so much better. The music is tighter, the lyrics are great, the guitar solo rocks (the guitar solo kicks in 48 seconds into the song), and at only 2:20, the song almost seems too short. It was the 2nd US single and peaked at #20. Hang Fire is really a lost Stones rock classic today.

Nice Review kammpberg.

I am recalling "Waiting On a Friend" was also released as a single (at least in the US). Went to #11 or #13 on the pop charts depending on the source.

Agree Kammpberg...you're on a bit of a roll with these reviews aren't you!

Date: March 1, 2012 17:33

GREAT LP!

Mick Taylor is on Tops. Supposedly he's on Waiting On A Friend but I've never been able to figure out exactly what he's playing. Charlie has said something to the effect that 'his Santana-style playing on that song was brilliant'. He must've been confusing it with another song.

Two GHS leftovers, two BAB leftovers, SG and ER leftovers making up the rest of the bulk, and Neighbours and Heaven recorded post-ER.

Acoustic side it isn't - ballads, even though they aren't exactly ballads, is more accurate.

Without a doubt in the top six of their best albums, usually my fave and number one.

Date: March 1, 2012 20:07

Some different guitaring...

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:20

I graduated from high school in the mid 70's. By the end of the decade, I was trying to convince my younger high school aged friends that the Stones still rocked and, were relevant. By that time, new bands such as Van Halen and AC/DC had taken rock radio by storm. The fact that the Stones two most recent songs familiar to casual listeners were Miss You and Emotional Rescue did not help my cause. Thankfully, 'Start Me Up' was released and gave me some ammunition for my argument. It was all over the air waves, and the Stones sold out two stadium shows here when they toured. Unfortuantely, the music video for the song convinced them all that Mick was 100% gay.

Date: March 1, 2012 23:10

Crackinup
I graduated from high school in the mid 70's. By the end of the decade, I was trying to convince my younger high school aged friends that the Stones still rocked and, were relevant. By that time, new bands such as Van Halen and AC/DC had taken rock radio by storm. The fact that the Stones two most recent songs familiar to casual listeners were Miss You and Emotional Rescue did not help my cause. Thankfully, 'Start Me Up' was released and gave me some ammunition for my argument. It was all over the air waves, and the Stones sold out two stadium shows here when they toured. Unfortuantely, the music video for the song convinced them all that Mick was 100% gay.

Good lord, you gave me a flashback...I was one of those 'high school kids' but I actually already was into the Stones, but EVERYONE else had Back In Black...AC/DC ruled. Then Start Me Up came out and we had a tidal wave of new fans...but yeah, the video we could do without...although watching it now is hilarious.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 00:35

tattoo you is up there with the best, its an album that has little filler unlike a lot of stones albums and has some underrated classics.

slave
little t and a

are the best on the disc.

the whole album also has a great production sound to it which other stones stuff sometimes lacks.

Date: March 2, 2012 00:48

In your opinion I think Tattoo You is the best Rolling Stones Album.

Date: March 2, 2012 17:13

Crackinup

It would be a bit concerning if they thought he was 110% gay...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 6, 2012 20:54

kleermaker
Well, maybe for the Tattoo You-generation (which in Holland is generally called the lost generation) Tattoo You is the best Stones album ever. They also think (long lines in) melody in music is the icing of the cake instead of an integral part of music, which it actually is. Thanks to disco, punk and dance music. The lost generation indeed. grinning smiley

eye rolling smiley ^ Opinion of the ignorant old Dutch fart generation. ^ eye rolling smiley

Disco, dance and all their offspring feature loads of actual, implied, gradual, instant etc etc melodies over grooving rhythms.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-06 21:01 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home