Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dumb question re: buying tickets day of show
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 29, 2019 04:55

Going to go Foxborough and already have my ticket. I know with flex pricing they never really sell out. If they have good floor seats, does the box office drop the prices once the opening act is on? She hasn’t seen Stones since Voodoo but really doesn’t want to spend $800.00 for a concert. It seems several of you have gotten great seats going to multiple shows without declaring bankruptcy. Any advice I can give her?

Re: Dumb question re: buying tickets day of show
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 29, 2019 05:00

Once the concert starts those scalpers in the crowd will be desperate to bargain. They've already made their money and just want to get rid of something quickly losing value. Where the hell does an $800 ticket put you, Mick's Dressing Room? Know the venue. Maps are readily available. Try the box office night of. I never have trouble getting decent seats, with no markup at the box office, when it's in some vast stadium. Grow a pair and get out there.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 29, 2019 05:26

Bashlets
Going to go Foxborough and already have my ticket. I know with flex pricing they never really sell out. If they have good floor seats, does the box office drop the prices once the opening act is on? She hasn’t seen Stones since Voodoo but really doesn’t want to spend $800.00 for a concert. It seems several of you have gotten great seats going to multiple shows without declaring bankruptcy. Any advice I can give her?

I usually never have a ticket on the way to shows. I have never seen a box office drop ticket prices, but at Stones shows the box office usually does have tickets and they are priced what they show as face online now (not the resale price). Scalpers and otehr people with extras will drop prices because they pay so little for tickets, that is their plan. Pay below face, sell at face or more, make money.

Check Craiglist before the show to get an idea of what prices are running. Tight, loose, lot of tickets, few?

Outside the arena it is a good idea if you/she/anyone is buying tickets to tell the person they have to walk to the ticket gate with you to make sure the ticket will work. These days people can print and reprint tickets so it has kind of messed up the deal, but reasonable people will understand and will happily walk over with you. It works perfect if there are two people and two tickets. One person holds the cash (pays half the cash to the ticket person) one person goes in and makes sure the ticket works, when it does buy the otehr ticket... and voila.

If she lives in the area she should head to the show and see what happens. Paying to park is the risk. Then hang around and see what happens. It is fun... and she could get handed a free ticket.

Or check here on [iorr.org] for people selling. Maybe find someone who is actually interested in selling off a solo lucky dip.

Or any other ways.

Date: June 29, 2019 05:27

Know the venue. Maps are readily available.thumbs up
PRINT OUT THE SEATING CHART AND TAKE IT WITH YOU.
It is the most important thing.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 29, 2019 14:48

Xam
Know the venue. Maps are readily available.thumbs up
PRINT OUT THE SEATING CHART AND TAKE IT WITH YOU.
It is the most important thing.

I’m seeing the Who at London Wembley next Saturday and that’s what I’m doing, as I have done for every show I ever travel to ticketless.

Another recommendation I’d add is to find a high res photo of a ticket for your show, (eBay is the best place to look), screenshot and print in colour. That way you’ll know what an actual ticket looks like, reducing your chances of buying a dud.

And don’t, for very obvious reasons, buy a printed e-ticket unless the seller is going into the venue with you at the same time.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 29, 2019 15:10

Very good advice Gregor.
I always had a seating chart as well with my preferred seating marked down when me and LD buddy picked up my LD tix at Oslo and Zurich.
Had a TV news crew filming in Zurich when I opened up the envelope and checked my tix .
Good seats not too far away from the box Tina Turner was in.
Never did know if I was on Zurich TV. smiling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 29, 2019 17:43

I went to see Bob Seger a few years ago and bought a fifth row floor seat center stage at the box office for 75 bucks it was great!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 29, 2019 18:24

...there is never a dumb question Bashlets!

I learned a long time ago that usually you can grab decent seats (at face value) at show-time from the box office, even for supposedly sold out shows. These are tickets that were set aside for promoters, family and friends of the artist, etc. I have seen some of the best shows (Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, etc) buying tickets at the venue anywhere from 4:30 pm right up until show time.

One particular concert stands out in my mind. It was opening night of a 5 night run in Boston in 1999 on the Bruce Springsteen reunion tour. Bruce had just re-united with the E Street Band so demand for tickets were through the roof! My wife and a bunch of friends spent a weekend in Boston vacationing and sight seeing. We wanted to see Bruce and figured if we got tickets, it would be the frosting on the cake and cap off a great weekend. My friend dropped me off at the box office day of the show between 2:00 and 3:00 pm (?), and just as I got there, tickets were released! And not just any tickets! WE didn't realize how good these tickets were until we went inside the Fleet Center arena that night! WE were off the floor on the first level adjacent to the stage, sitting with the relatives, friends, and band members wives of Bruce's band! It was one of the most specular concert experiences I ever had! Soooo, you never know! winking smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 29, 2019 18:37

Depends on your nerves – in case they are strong enough: buy a ticket in front of the venue and wait until the support act has taken stage… by that time the ticket prices will have sharply fallen.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2019 00:52

slew
I went to see Bob Seger a few years ago and bought a fifth row floor seat center stage at the box office for 75 bucks it was great!

I got 17th row at the side of the stage for the Stones at Staples in Los Angeles 2002. They were the Stones actual tickets they were holding back until near show time. Then they released them to the box office and I snapped them up.

Date: June 30, 2019 01:57

It will be a sad day when all concerts and sporting events are mobile tickets ONLY. Most NFL and MLB tickets in the US are like that now. They REQUIRE people to have electronic tickets and carry their mobile device with them.

It ruins buying tickets from people with extras. It requires having ticketbastard or other official fee charging ticket agency involved in transferring tickets. It... is so many issues and problems. I dont like this idea, but I seem to be in the minority. So it is what it is... and it is the future.

I will not buy these tickets. I am retired from going to MLB and NFL games and when all concerts are like that... I am done there too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2342
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home