Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stunning! Mick Jagger and friends have #3 single in the UK!
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 9, 2012 10:56

Whale
But can we buy it?
Maybe even on a vinyl?

in the usa, all i've seen is a promo copy on ebay which went for about $70

apparently it is now on commercial cd in the uk (but i would check it out
further before buying to make sure its not counterfeit)

[www.ebay.com]

just now reading the ebay listing more carefully, it includes this:
"Upon Release Monday 27th February 2012". so its probably legit.
physical singles often do not appear until after their digital release.
often these days they do not appear at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 11:05 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 9, 2012 11:10

superrevvy
Whale
But can we buy it?
Maybe even on a vinyl?

in the usa, all i've seen is a promo copy on ebay which went for about $70

apparently it is now on commercial cd in the uk (but i would check it out
further before buying to make sure its not counterfeit)

[www.ebay.com]

just now reading the ebay listing more carefully, it includes this:
"Upon Release Monday 27th February 2012". so its probably legit.
physical singles often do not appear until after their digital release.
often these days they do not appear at all.
OK, I'll wait until the 27th.
Hoping for an old fashioned 12 inch mix on vinyl.

Date: February 9, 2012 11:20

Whale
OK, I'll wait until the 27th.
Hoping for an old fashioned 12 inch mix on vinyl.

there'll be all kinds of versions if it sticks

if it catches on, on the radio

if this isnt just a one-week manipulation of the charts, which is quite
possible these days, even without payola

i've noticed that these days the most common way a song becomes a big hit
is when it does a steady climb on the charts. opening big does not seem to
be as reliable an indicator.

the most famous manipulation of the charts recently is when lady gaga sold
her recent album on itunes on the first day for 99 cents. sold over a million
and went straight to number one. they were worried about negative reviews so
they came up with a pretty radical strategy. and it seemed to work. the
album caught on. and the first single "born this way" smashed, even though
it was a rather blatant ripoff of madonna's "express yourself"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 11:26 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2012 11:27

HighwireC
Doxa
howled
This is modern teen stuff and I don't know why Mick gets involved in it.

Hmm... perhaps Jagger decided to do something different last year since knowing that he will spent the following year very much in nostalgia... playing music that was "modern teen stuff" 40-50 years ago...

- Doxa

I hope, Mick and The Rolling Stones will do much more modern stuff (a little like SuperHeavy, Maroon5 and Will.I.Am), we are living in the 21th century now.

Some older fans, still living in the very past, may be pleased by some more releases from the stonesarchives ...

But: Who Wants Yesterday Papers ... ?

smoking smiley

That sounds good in theory, but... Even if one wants to be 'contemporary' it is not obvious that one does have the abilities to do that convincingly. With Jagger (and the Stones) the question is that the will and the means do not meet each other anymore (for decades actually). I think that was the lesson of Jagger's solo career during the 80's. He lost the touch to the modern scene then. That was unfortunately too clear for anyone who was there at the time. He couldn't charm the kids any longer. Jagger hasn't even tried that too hard ever since.

If we look these new 'modern' experiments with his 'new friends' he does these days, he is the conservative contributor there, a man from the past. He borrows his archaic, familair voice there to give that trad. rock flavor. That's the point in T.H.E. And if we listen Mick's contributions to SuperHeavy, that's pretty familar stuff he does there. The stuff he has done for ages. It is the context that is different not the man. The same phrases, the same melody hooks, the same voice tricks. Very formulaic. So I don't think this new 'clothing' does not really reinvent Jagger the artist or adds any new dimensions to his musical vocabulary. It is more like they say the 'old dog does not learn new tricks'. I think it is nothing but romantic idealism that he could 'learn' there something he could then apply to the next Stones project. Only what he can is to change the context (the producer, fellow musicians) in where he delivers his old tricks, but not himself. If he works with the Stones, I think the stuff is going to be VERY familiar. But c'mon, the guy is almost 70 years old. Some reality check here. I think it is not realistic to ask him any musical reinventions. Just have him around is more than enough. Any new thing is an extra.

Just keep the archives open, so I am happy. It is ALL yesterday's papers now as far as the quality/interesting music goes.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 11:37 by Doxa.

Date: February 9, 2012 11:37

Doxa

If we look these new 'modern' experiments with his 'new friends' he does these days, he is the conservative contributor there, a man from the past. He borrows his archaic, familair voice there to give that trad. rock flavor.
- Doxa

has been discussed, but to repeat, i think its only on the weaker SH tracks that
old mick stones mick appears. on the stronger stranger tracks, he sounds quite
fresh, his singing and his guitar playing and his composing/producing/arranging.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 9, 2012 11:50

That poor man can´t do it right. When he does something "old", then is too conservative, and when he does something new, then he gets critizised because he only "wants to stay current" winking smiley

Date: February 9, 2012 11:51

superrevvy
has been discussed, but to repeat, i think its only on the weaker SH tracks that
old mick stones mick appears. on the stronger stranger tracks, he sounds quite
fresh, his singing and his guitar playing and his composing/producing/arranging.

Hmm.. I can see what you mean but I don't actually hear there freshness. I just hear there some of his old tendencies stressed almost too far; the cliches - for example, the nasal voice tricks - going out of hand. I sense there some lack of artistic judgment actually. Like he has lost the ability express anything without a horrible over-interpretation and over-stressing. That's my opinion, of course. My 'advice' - is that arrogant from a fan? - is to get himself out of "Mick Jagger box" into which he seem to have stuck. I don't know how. But he is the artist, not me! I just critic... (But like I said, it's all extra, so I don't rate it very high or take very seriously - contra some people who seem to be quite passionate about it!grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 11:55 by Doxa.

Date: February 9, 2012 12:08

elunsi
That poor man can´t do it right. When he does something "old", then is too conservative, and when he does something new, then he gets critizised because he only "wants to stay current" winking smiley

That's true but I think that very dilemma does exist in Mick Jagger. He has played with it, or tried to cope with it, for ages now, and I can't say that artistically speaking what he has done during the last 30 yaers is a total musical triumph we all should admire without a doubt...

Besides it is Jagger himself who has een so vocal about "hating the nostalgia", and "keeping the eye on current trends". If we compare this talk to his actual doings, there seems to exist a serious gap in recent decaces.

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2012 12:27

He desperately wants to keep up with trends but doesn't seem to be able to. To be frank it's a bit pathetic. He did set trends in the late sixties but really never since. The sad thing is that in this process (his emancipation from the band) he has contributed to split up the band gradually.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 9, 2012 12:31

Je suis un rockstar sounds like a classic compared to this tune. It must be the worst solo song by any stone. Tasteles and embarrassing. Is it really number three in the main english charts?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2012 15:48

Apparently it is equally stunning that Mick & Jacko's "State of Shock" went to #3 in the US or that Mick & Bowie's "Dancing in the Street" went to #1 in the UK.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:47

windmelody
Je suis un rockstar sounds like a classic compared to this tune. It must be the worst solo song by any stone. Tasteles and embarrassing. Is it really number three in the main english charts?

first of all, it's hardly a "solo song" by a Stone as you call it. It's Mick making a 1 minute cameo appearance.

i watched the video and listened....and then ONLY listened to the audio of Mick's segment.

not a song i'd pay money for...but Mick (obviously) can do as he pleases.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 9, 2012 18:53

To the people that are bashing this song and asking "what the hell was Mick thinkingi?!?". This song was not recorded for YOU. It was for people who are into that type of music. There's more to the musical landscape than just rock and roll. Mick wanted to do something different and so he did something different. Good for him for having the balls to think outside the box. You may think this song is crap but guess what, there are millions of people that like it and there are millions of people that will dance to it in clubs.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 9, 2012 20:11

Jagger set for top 10 chart return
(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

Sir Mick Jagger is due to return to the top 10 of the singles chart for the first time in more than a quarter of a century.
The Rolling Stones singer features on the new Will.I.Am single, T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever), which is expected to be in the top five at the weekend, figures from the Official Charts Company show.

He last achieved a top 10 hit with the Stones in 1981 with Start Me Up (#7), and his most recent appearance in his own right was in 1985 when he duetted with David Bowie on Dancing In The Street (#1).

The 68-year-old is guest vocalist on Black Eyed Peas star Will.I.Am's single, along with Jennifer Lopez.

Sales figures show the track could go as high as the top three by Sunday.

Sir Mick said he was delighted with the success of the song.
He told TheOfficialCharts.com: "We had a great time recording the track and I'm glad that UK music lovers are liking it."

His most recent entry in the singles chart with his group SuperHeavy - which includes Joss Stone and Dave Stewart - peaked at number 136.

He was recently immortalised in last year's chart-topping Maroon 5 hit Moves Like Jagger.

Copyright © 2012 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 9, 2012 20:21

He was immortalised by Maroon 5! Is England going down?

Date: February 9, 2012 21:45

Mick's vocal style on this isn't too far from RUTHLESS PEOPLE and ROCK & A HARD PLACE.
Probably didn't have much to do with the rest of it.

And the video itself (Mick's segment) reminded me of something from ZOOLANDER.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-09 21:49 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:05

Clearly The Press Association doesn't count his duets with Jackson and Bowie which also landed in the UK Top Ten. The latter hit the top of the charts.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:20

Doxa
HighwireC
Doxa
howled

Hmm... perhaps Jagger decided to do something different last year since knowing that he will spent the following year very much in nostalgia... playing music that was "modern teen stuff" 40-50 years ago...

- Doxa

I hope, Mick and The Rolling Stones will do much more modern stuff (a little like SuperHeavy, Maroon5 and Will.I.Am), we are living in the 21th century now.

Some older fans, still living in the very past, may be pleased by some more releases from the stonesarchives ...

smoking smiley

That sounds good in theory, but... Even if one wants to be 'contemporary' it is not obvious that one does have the abilities to do that convincingly. With Jagger (and the Stones) the question is that the will and the means do not meet each other anymore (for decades actually). I think that was the lesson of Jagger's solo career during the 80's. He lost the touch to the modern scene then. That was unfortunately too clear for anyone who was there at the time. He couldn't charm the kids any longer. Jagger hasn't even tried that too hard ever since.

If we look these new 'modern' experiments with his 'new friends' he does these days, he is the conservative contributor there, a man from the past. He borrows his archaic, familair voice there to give that trad. rock flavor. That's the point in T.H.E. And if we listen Mick's contributions to SuperHeavy, that's pretty familar stuff he does there. The stuff he has done for ages. It is the context that is different not the man. The same phrases, the same melody hooks, the same voice tricks. Very formulaic. So I don't think this new 'clothing' does not really reinvent Jagger the artist or adds any new dimensions to his musical vocabulary. It is more like they say the 'old dog does not learn new tricks'. I think it is nothing but romantic idealism that he could 'learn' there something he could then apply to the next Stones project. Only what he can is to change the context (the producer, fellow musicians) in where he delivers his old tricks, but not himself. If he works with the Stones, I think the stuff is going to be VERY familiar. But c'mon, the guy is almost 70 years old. Some reality check here. I think it is not realistic to ask him any musical reinventions. Just have him around is more than enough. Any new thing is an extra.

Just keep the archives open, so I am happy. It is ALL yesterday's papers now as far as the quality/interesting music goes.

- Doxa

Well put Doxa, well said.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:22

georgelicks
Jagger set for top 10 chart return
(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

Sir Mick Jagger is due to return to the top 10 of the singles chart for the first time in more than a quarter of a century.
The Rolling Stones singer features on the new Will.I.Am single, T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever), which is expected to be in the top five at the weekend, figures from the Official Charts Company show.

He last achieved a top 10 hit with the Stones in 1981 with Start Me Up (#7), and his most recent appearance in his own right was in 1985 when he duetted with David Bowie on Dancing In The Street (#1).

The 68-year-old is guest vocalist on Black Eyed Peas star Will.I.Am's single, along with Jennifer Lopez.

Sales figures show the track could go as high as the top three by Sunday.

Sir Mick said he was delighted with the success of the song.
He told TheOfficialCharts.com: "We had a great time recording the track and I'm glad that UK music lovers are liking it."

His most recent entry in the singles chart with his group SuperHeavy - which includes Joss Stone and Dave Stewart - peaked at number 136.

He was recently immortalised in last year's chart-topping Maroon 5 hit Moves Like Jagger.

Copyright © 2012 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Sixty Eight years old! I guess I should not be shocked, a family member turned 85 last October so it's all relative. Just seems like time is getting away really fast these days.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:37

dimrstone
Totally bullshit!
Pure crap!
What the hell does Jagger doing ?

I must take my medicine nowangry smiley
OUCH...me too - up the dosage. This song just sucks on so many levels.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:38

Great voice...at last

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:45

Great News!! Are Mick and friends going on tour?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2012 22:53

HighwireC
Doxa
howled

- Doxa

smoking smiley

I like Mick's forays into the unknown (but thoroughly dislike this particular 'song')...but let's leave the Rolling Stones out of the experiments. After 50 years, they don't need 're-invention'...nobody does it better.

Date: February 9, 2012 23:32

Whenever Mick does something like this....it makes me wonder if it's all been an illusion.

He deserves credit for doing different things but not if all he's going to do is put on his MICK JAGGER VOICE and
his MICK JAGGER CLOTHES and pretend to to be MICK JAGGER. But who knows..maybe he's been pretending for a long time....maybe even at the Rolling Stones' peak? Maybe MICK JAGGER has always been just a role for him. Maybe it's never been about the music or rebellion or any of that...maybe it's only been about fame and remaining relevant and in the limelight.

Is he any different than Madonna?

Maybe I'm just thinking this way because I had Japanese food for lunch today.

winking smiley

Date: February 9, 2012 23:40

Chris Fountain
Great News!! Are Mick and friends going on tour?

Yeah - and SuperHeavy is the opening act.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 9, 2012 23:42

Hopefully my sarcasm was appreciated! LOL

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: February 9, 2012 23:58

Jeez! This IS terrible. As you see from my name and previous posts I do like the Superheavy experiment musically and I don't understand why it gets bashed so much on this board ;-)

But this is - hm. No, not "hm", it's just terrible.

But the, if you do try different things, you might make mistakes. And that's a good thing.

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: February 9, 2012 23:59

-

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2012 00:07

sweet neo con
Whenever Mick does something like this....it makes me wonder if it's all been an illusion.

He deserves credit for doing different things but not if all he's going to do is put on his MICK JAGGER VOICE and
his MICK JAGGER CLOTHES and pretend to to be MICK JAGGER. But who knows..maybe he's been pretending for a long time....maybe even at the Rolling Stones' peak? Maybe MICK JAGGER has always been just a role for him. Maybe it's never been about the music or rebellion or any of that...maybe it's only been about fame and remaining relevant and in the limelight.

winking smiley

I think Keith Richards would admit 'KEITH RICHARDS' is an act...so what?!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 10, 2012 00:30

treaclefingers
sweet neo con

winking smiley

I think Keith Richards would admit 'KEITH RICHARDS' is an act...so what?!
PLEASE leave Saint Keith out of this discussion - you sully his good name - smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home