Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Satisfaction 1969 - drums' pattern
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 24, 2019 18:26

Interesting video... You can see on how Charlie alternates drum patterns in a sequence of two bars. Probably he does this all the time, but it's new to me.

[youtu.be]

Re: Satisfaction 1969 - drums' pattern
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 24, 2019 19:29

Not a musician and not educated in music at all, but it seems to me Charlie kept this up through 1971 performances of the song. It was a very different rhythm and one that allowed Keith (and later Bobby and Jim Price) to mimic Otis' arrangement while still giving Young Mr. Taylor plenty of room to improvise his solos. For once, Mr. Jagger was not following Mr. Taylor's melody lines but following the rhythm (based on Otis' arrangement) instead. It allowed for the glorious dichotomy of Taylor being deployed as a counter to the rest of the band. The same sort of tension-filled approach taken with "Bitch" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" in the studio that would produce such glorious results. Again, others may not agree. This is just what my untrained ears makes of it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: January 24, 2019 20:21

Janis Joplin explained it very well. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 24, 2019 20:55

Charlies playing on this song is great, and the shift in drum patterns is wonderful at this London show...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 25, 2019 02:31

I had never seen the London clip before. Thank you. It's also December 1969 and not 1970 as the link suggests. There were no UK shows in 1970.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-25 02:33 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2019 05:38

Charlie had that 1 snare 2 kick drum (and vice versa) from We Love You, I think, or perhaps even from the BTBUTTONS sessions with Dandelion, I think, through Dance Little Sister. He pulled off that for BLACK AND BLUE and then started with the not hitting the hi-hat during the snare with SOME GIRLS onward. I don't recall him doing that before.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1214
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home