Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones life lessons per GQ magazine
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 26, 2018 18:09

Interesting read. Who knew the Stones are showing the world how to grow old.

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Re: Stones life lessons per GQ magazine
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 26, 2018 18:25

Well ... confused smiley
Though a nice read.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 26, 2018 18:58

good perspective...thx for sharing

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 26, 2018 19:28

GOOD one! Thx for sharing.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: December 26, 2018 19:36

"Its hard to kill a Rolling Stone"!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 26, 2018 20:46

The usual gossip stuff from GQ. There is some truth in there. But nothing that hasn't already been dissected. On the other hand - very few of GQ readers are Stones fans to begin with.
So it's news for them. Some of the "lessons" taught are false though. Like number 5: The Rolling Stones don't get better with age. At least not after 40...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 26, 2018 21:27

"The Stones make you look forward to being 75. They once taught a generation how to be young and now they are showing the world how to grow old."

Agree with this.
Inspirational.

They are showing a lot of us boomers how to (not) grow old.

Date: December 26, 2018 21:52

Stoneage
The usual gossip stuff from GQ. There is some truth in there. But nothing that hasn't already been dissected. On the other hand - very few of GQ readers are Stones fans to begin with.
So it's news for them. Some of the "lessons" taught are false though. Like number 5: The Rolling Stones don't get better with age. At least not after 40...

disagree with you...as people they are better...kinder, nicer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 26, 2018 22:18

treaclefingers
Stoneage

I'm sure they are, Treacles. Most people mellow with age. GQ was talking about the artistic output though: "Almost every artist runs out of puff in their middle years. But the true greats – Philip Roth, Pablo Picasso, the Stones – find an extra gear just as their contemporaries are slowing down or falling off their perch. Almost unbelievably, The Rolling Stones in their seventies are the most exciting live act on the planet."
There I disagree with them. Somewhat at least...

Date: December 26, 2018 22:40

Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage

I'm sure they are, Treacles. Most people mellow with age. GQ was talking about the artistic output though: "Almost every artist runs out of puff in their middle years. But the true greats – Philip Roth, Pablo Picasso, the Stones – find an extra gear just as their contemporaries are slowing down or falling off their perch. Almost unbelievably, The Rolling Stones in their seventies are the most exciting live act on the planet."

GQ wasn't talking about their "artistic output" in general as you suggest though.
They (as you can see in your quote) are specifically referring to their live act.
* The Rolling Stones in their seventies are the most exciting live act on the planet
Accurate.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 27, 2018 00:25

Stoneage
"Almost every artist runs out of puff in their middle years. But the true greats – Philip Roth, Pablo Picasso, the Stones – find an extra gear just as their contemporaries are slowing down or falling off their perch.

Well Picasso found new life at 50 when he "met" a 17 yo girl named Marie-Thérèse Walter... Wait a minute this is what Mick has been doing all these years : doing a "Picasso at 50"! grinning smiley It's purely artistic... To feed his creative energy!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 27, 2018 02:24

MisterDDDD
Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage

GQ wasn't talking about their "artistic output" in general as you suggest though.
They (as you can see in your quote) are specifically referring to their live act.
* The Rolling Stones in their seventies are the most exciting live act on the planet
Accurate.

That's from lack of competition. Few kids are going into the rock and roll business today. The only way the Stones are better is if they dug deeper into the blues. That's the only significant artistic accomplishment they've made in the Post-Wyman era. (Not including bonus cuts from earlier eras).

Date: December 27, 2018 02:44

24FPS
MisterDDDD
Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage

Accurate.

That's from lack of competition. Few kids are going into the rock and roll business today. The only way the Stones are better is if they dug deeper into the blues. That's the only significant artistic accomplishment they've made in the Post-Wyman era. (Not including bonus cuts from earlier eras).

Discounting their literal record(s) breaking live performances and tours to bolster your digs at other aspects of their career doesn't make them any less real or relevant.

Date: December 27, 2018 03:49

MisterDDDD
24FPS
MisterDDDD
Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage

Accurate.

Discounting their literal record(s) breaking live performances and tours to bolster your digs at other aspects of their career doesn't make them any less real or relevant.

I guess I would disagree that they're better as a live act now than in their middle age...but maybe how far they've come down is still above what most acts achieve at their peak?

For whatever we've come to slag them for in terms of 'vegas stones' this professionalism has meant that we get to see them even as they approach their 80s, at an an incredibly high level. Pretty unbelievable.

...also, rather incredibly they're closer now to their 60th anniversary (diamond jubilee?) than their 50th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-27 03:50 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 27, 2018 12:10

Unlikely I'd think....but 60 years could be conceivable .

Survival & health permitting , who knows.

For the last 40 years or so they've only been "a band" for the periods when they get together to work ...so a continued existence can take whatever form they want it to really .

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 28, 2018 01:57

thumbs up fan here older than dirt says yes to this nice little piece.

smileys with beer

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 29, 2018 08:25

Being one of "the gang of 70+" since this year I can't but enjoy reading this article cool smiley
It is not 100% pure, but what is in life? Through my life I had to often hear "aren't you getting too old for this (going to Stones concerts, wearing Stones shirts/jackets, etc., etc) and my "standard" answer was/is always "Hey, Mick and Keith are around 5 years ahead of my, and as long as that is the case, I am YOUNG, sharing their lives through their music and concerts". And without trying to sound snobbish, I feel it has a positive impact on my surroundings.
So, I welcome everyone to go and see them next year winking smiley. I will cross the Pacific as well as the Atlantic for that and I think it's "peanuts".
Great photo's by the way.
Happy New Year to all smileys with beer

Date: December 29, 2018 21:30

georgie48
Being one of "the gang of 70+" since this year I can't but enjoy reading this article cool smiley
It is not 100% pure, but what is in life? Through my life I had to often hear "aren't you getting too old for this (going to Stones concerts, wearing Stones shirts/jackets, etc., etc) and my "standard" answer was/is always "Hey, Mick and Keith are around 5 years ahead of my, and as long as that is the case, I am YOUNG, sharing their lives through their music and concerts". And without trying to sound snobbish, I feel it has a positive impact on my surroundings.
So, I welcome everyone to go and see them next year winking smiley. I will cross the Pacific as well as the Atlantic for that and I think it's "peanuts".
Great photo's by the way.
Happy New Year to all smileys with beer

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 30, 2018 19:59

Good article and thanks for posting.

I might add another lesson -- and no offense to the band I love --

If you don't want your skin to look prematurely old and wrinkled, don't live the "rock star" lifestyle.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home