Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Question regarding plane tix from Europe to States
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 27, 2018 19:54

Planning on going to a few west coast shows. Looked at prices Sunday and found a decent (as in only 1 short layover each way) round trip ticket for 400€. Today (2 days later) I checked again to book the flight and that flight disappeared and the best I can find is up to 665€ already!!! (am looking via Kayak, my roommate suggested it (he also suggested looking at Norwegian Airlines but they don't fly to San Diego).

Is there some crazy flex-pricing going on with plane tix too?!

Is it too early to look at round-trip tix (Paris - San Diego in my case) for 2-13 May?

Given that I'm looking at a trip 5 months from now, is it possible that there we be other flights listed in the coming weeks/months?!

Any and all answers/tips/suggestions appreciated!

smileys with beer

Re: OT: Question regarding plane tix from Europe to States
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 27, 2018 20:16

FrogSugar
Planning on going to a few west coast shows. Looked at prices Sunday and found a decent (as in only 1 short layover each way) round trip ticket for 400€. Today (2 days later) I checked again to book the flight and that flight disappeared and the best I can find is up to 665€ already!!! (am looking via Kayak, my roommate suggested it (he also suggested looking at Norwegian Airlines but they don't fly to San Diego).

Is there some crazy flex-pricing going on with plane tix too?!

Is it too early to look at round-trip tix (Paris - San Diego in my case) for 2-13 May?

Given that I'm looking at a trip 5 months from now, is it possible that there we be other flights listed in the coming weeks/months?!

Any and all answers/tips/suggestions appreciated!

smileys with beer

I look for tix on these various search sites, but then do my purchase from the
Airline website itself. This way you are not a "third party" because often if there is a problem the airline and the search site (ie Kayak or Expedia) will blame each other and you are left out in the cold, you don't get your problem fixed in a timely manner, if at all.
Also if you buy a ticket now for May, I believe the airlines will give you the difference if the price drops before your departure date. You need to check. I see Air France right now 2 May to 13 May is 456 €.Paris to San Diego RT with a connection in LA. Good luck.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: November 27, 2018 20:46

I like google.com/flights

Norwegian flies paris to lax nonstop
On 787 dreamliner
Over the weekend norwegian had a black friday thru cyber monday sale 15% off

Its about two hours by bus from la to san diego

Can also rent car in la

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:00

Use google flights to predict the best time to book and get the best price.
The 787 Dreamliner is a great plane to fly on but I wouldn’t be flying over any large body of water on one at the moment.There are some major engine issues on the 787 that have still to be corrected.

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:01

Book your flight during strange hours like late evening or night. They have lower prices during hours when they do know that few customers will convert. Don't follow the flow. Then they will take more of your money, they take what they can get.

PS. Just test-purchase and see their prices at 1am and 11pm and during normal working hours, then you will see how their algorithms work.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-27 21:02 by bv.

Date: November 27, 2018 21:04

MKjan
I look for tix on these various search sites, but then do my purchase from the
Airline website itself. This way you are not a "third party" because often if there is a problem the airline and the search site (ie Kayak or Expedia) will blame each other and you are left out in the cold, you don't get your problem fixed in a timely manner, if at all.
Also if you buy a ticket now for May, I believe the airlines will give you the difference if the price drops before your departure date. You need to check. I see Air France right now 2 May to 13 May is 456 €.Paris to San Diego RT with a connection in LA. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips... So I guess you're saying there IS a chance prices could drop in the coming weeks/months...
As for Air France, the price you found is indeed pretty sweet, BUT that is the one airline I will never, ever use, they are notorious for being on strike all the time, no joke. I'd rather pay a bit more and not have a heart attack when their pilots inevitably go on strike on the day that I'm leaving!

Date: November 27, 2018 21:06

artedm
I like google.com/flights

Norwegian flies paris to lax nonstop
On 787 dreamliner
Over the weekend norwegian had a black friday thru cyber monday sale 15% off

Its about two hours by bus from la to san diego

Can also rent car in la

I tried Google earlier, prices a bit higher than Kayak it seemed. I'm shooting for San Diego as a friend there is letting me borrow his car during my stay : -)

Maybe I'll consider Norwegian + Amtrack to Solana Beach (San Diego)!

Date: November 27, 2018 21:07

bv
Book your flight during strange hours like late evening or night. They have lower prices during hours when they do know that few customers will convert. Don't follow the flow. Then they will take more of your money, they take what they can get.

PS. Just test-purchase and see their prices at 1am and 11pm and during normal working hours, then you will see how their algorithms work.

Crazy! Didn't know that... You'd think lots of people book their flights late at night after work/dinner.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:08

Clear your cookies also each time you check the price, as they bump it up if you've checked before....

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:11

If prices high don't buy, check the next day. Prices move around.

Date: November 27, 2018 21:23

Paddy
Clear your cookies also each time you check the price, as they bump it up if you've checked before....

Damn, that's seedy...I suspected that to be the case when booking train tix...Will definitely try using another browser.

On another note, one thing I hate is having to ensure that 1 suitcase is included... Back in the day you could check-in 2 suitcases without any weight limits, now they try to screw you any way they can...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:25

Paddy

Please let’s not give the Stones any new ideas for their ticket selling strategies.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 27, 2018 21:40

Paddy

CTRL + SHIFT + N with Chrome will give you a new incognito mode browing tab, with no history I.e. no cookies from your past history), then you will look like a random new unknown visitor.

Bjornulf

Date: November 27, 2018 22:14

bv
Paddy

CTRL + SHIFT + N with Chrome will give you a new incognito mode browing tab, with no history I.e. no cookies from your past history), then you will look like a random new unknown visitor.

Awesome...didn't think of that. Internet Explorer and Firefox also have this private navigation window feature, just right-click on the icon in the toolbar (?) at the bottom of your screen.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: November 28, 2018 01:59

bv
Paddy

How can that be done on an iPad? Thanks in advance

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 28, 2018 11:00

Christiaan

How can that be done on an iPad?

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: [Support.Apple.com] .

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: [Support.Apple.com] .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home