Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ian Hunter - underdog rocker?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 23, 2018 18:35

Quick read on Ian Hunter, one time front man for Mott The Hoople and solo for years. Some Mott tunes and some of his solo work are part of my ongoing listening. Hunter is a much overlooked rocker/musician, IMHO.

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: OT: Ian Hunter - underdog rocker?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 23, 2018 18:42

Schizophrenic is one of my favorite albums!

I saw him live several years ago, it was a great show in a small venue. He kicks serious ass!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 23, 2018 21:19

1988 , I seen him open for Heart . Mick Ronson was on lead guitar and he was blazing up and down the fretboard may he rest in peace . If you have a chance to see Ian Hunter go !

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 23, 2018 21:40

A great band. I saw Mott back in early 70's and the support was Queen!

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: frodeyen ()
Date: October 23, 2018 22:38

Ian is 80 years old next summer. I've been to one of his concerts in Norway yearly for the last four years and he's great. He's ageing like wine. All of his four-five last albums are just great. He's a man who deserves a lot more credit for his work. Can't wait for his Diaries....book coming out soon with extra chapters from the japanese tour.

Date: October 23, 2018 22:41

Yes he is truly one of those artists who has only gotten better. His last few albums are very good. Even obscure ones like "Artful Dodger" or "Overnight Angels" are always quality.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 23, 2018 22:45

Ian is a phenomenal talent. Met him in LA in 1980 at the the Roxy.
Cher and her BF at the time,Les Dudek, were there and we got to meet
them.They were very cool.
Ian was a super nice guy and he took off his sunglasses for my girlfriend.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 24, 2018 06:30

I posted this Hunter/Ronson track from '89 recently, but it deserves more attention. The first 30 seconds sound like an 80's MTV song, then it shifts gears into a riff rocker that out-Stones the Stones:

[www.youtube.com]

Likewise, if Paul McCartney now wrote anything near as good as either of these two songs, Macca fans would be sh**ting their pants.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Like Dylan, Ian Hunter still continues to amaze and impress. Buy his albums. See him live.

You're welcome.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 24, 2018 12:15

Have been a huge fan since the 70s and his recent albums - particularly, IMO, when I'm President - stand up well beside the classics. He's fantastic live and has a huge back catalogue - expect a mix of his better known solo tunes and Mott material plus one or two more obscure songs thrown into the mix. The Rant Band are a tight unit too.

Definitely one of the UK's finest, most consistent and prolific writers and performers. Wish the Stones were still making albums as powerful as Ian's.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 24, 2018 12:18

I put him in the same league as Dylan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home