Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones - American Vinyl
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 20, 2018 09:51

As ever, in sight of the publication of one of my discographies, I'm back to you vinyl addicted to ask for some imputs, before I write 'The End' on a 500-page file.
The discography will present circa 600 albums (all fully detailed and illustrated) pressed at no less that 26 plants (of which almost every code is cracked), with metal parts made by circa 20 studios (with codes cracked) and labels printed by type-setter of which I try to give full info.
As always, every aspect is covered (record business, contract records, travelling matrices, promotionals, samplers, etc. etc.). For the first time, you'll read more than usual about the imported albums and discover that US exported matrices and finished albums (detailed and illustrated). Everything is told on label designs and inner sleeves. The aim of the book is to put the US discography under a brand new light by going straight to the DNA of an album: who made what? where and when? why?
Is there a topic that you want me to cover? How do you feel the book would be 'complete'?
If no new topics to develope were not sent it. the book would uploaded on Createspace on next Sunday and be available in a fornight. In case new interesting topics were proposed, it'll depend on the time requested to add the new file to the book. Hope you'll find it interesting...
Thanks for helping, bye
Luca

Re: The Rolling Stones - American Vinyl
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 20, 2018 10:31

I can inform you that I personally have been in contact with Andrew Loog Oldham via e-mail in 2012, regarding the US albums and who made them:

"We went along with the american idea that US fans expected the hits in new LP's and felt cheated if they did not get them. In the UK we knew that the opposite was true and had we included hit singles then the fans in the UK would feel cheated.
So the US and UK track listings were done by us with that agenda.
best, o"

Also, David Fricke’s essay from The Rolling Stones In Mono, mentioned that the american albums were overseen by Oldham. In other words, in contrast to The Beatles, The Stones stood for putting together the US albums by themselves.
This fact gets overlooked almost every time the american albums are mentioned. It is always assumed the band did not have any say in the US releases. That would be a welcome addition to your book.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-20 10:35 by Blueranger.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 20, 2018 11:02

Yes, great point!
I'm still wondering why they did post-pone the release of 'Between The Buttons' in USA. Police raid at Redlands? Did they want to appear at the Ed Sullivan's Show before the album was out? Did Oldham want to wait to let the 'Ruby Tuesday' clim the charts without being the sales affected by having the same song on an album?
Ok, I'll go for this topic... Thanks, Luca

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 20, 2018 21:54

You’re welcome. Looking forward to your book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home