Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Interview with Dave Natale in German guitar magazine (Stones content)
Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: March 9, 2018 11:17

In the recent issue of German guitar magazine Grand Guitars (www.grandgtrs.de) there is an interview with the Stones´ front-of-house mixing-engineer Dave Natale. Interesting read, I think. Among other things, he explains, why Keith´s guitar during „Sympathy...“ live came across more like the tool of a butcher or of a lumberjack, than of a surgeon´s knife (although he doesn´t use these terms). He provides some cool technical insight.

Unfortunately one cannot read the interview online. And I cannot post pictures. So either please find an issue of the magazine - or someone provide an e-mail address where one could send scans to. But only, if that is legal...

Cheers, fillmore

Re: Interview with Dave Natale in German guitar magazine (Stones content)
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 9, 2018 14:16

Fillmore
Among other things, he explains, why Keith´s guitar during „Sympathy...“ live came across more like the tool of a butcher or of a lumberjack, than of a surgeon´s knife (although he doesn´t use these terms).

So what is his explanation? Stadium shows are not a novelty any more, and they didn't have the butcher sound problem in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s etc.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:37

Natale speaks about the "gentle art of mixing the world´s greatest band - in mono 1.0". Without additional compression, reverb, delay, gates - all analog!!! He describes the live atmosphere as a "bigger than life" experience, with the loudness and the huge screens, unlike listening to a record at home. The singer´s voice guides through the song. When the voice stops some other element has to fill the slot.

"It (the show) is an exaggeration, that´s how I mix it on the console. It´s about highlighting elements. I don´t just make a solo a little louder, but quite a lot - about five centimeters on the channel strip (laughs)".

He says it is about keeping the result interesting and the energy constant. "It seems as if many people don´t mix any more. The compressor and the noisegate have taken over".

Natale has been mixing the Stones live since 2005. If he is on board at the 2018 shows: beware of the guitars grinning smiley.

I´m not a native speaker and Missus Google´s little shop of translations can only help to some extend, right...? I hope you enjoy it anyway...

Cheers, fillmore

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 9, 2018 16:52

He’s the one turning it up, but I can’t blame him for the terrible dry tone that comes out of Keith’s Junior and tweed rig!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 10, 2018 04:42

Fillmore
"It (the show) is an exaggeration, that´s how I mix it on the console. It´s about highlighting elements. I don´t just make a solo a little louder, but quite a lot - about five centimeters on the channel strip (laughs)".

Bad sound by design? grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home