Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andrew Loog Oldham on Bob Lefsetz Podcast
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 24, 2018 16:13

How does a young fashionite lose his job after experiencing the first of numerous nervous breakdowns end up managing and producing the Rolling Stones?

By doing publicity for the Beatles and knowing a great band when he sees one (and tying up with a more experienced partner to add gravitas).

This was when Brian Jones was the spokesman. This was when the blues-revival was in full-form. This was before Mick and Keith started to write their own songs.

I'd say Andrew is self-invented, but even more he's self-educated. Education is overrated, it squeezes the creativity right out of you, assuming you've got the spark to begin with. Which Andrew does, along with a ton of intelligence and insight. That's what's impressed me most with the podcast interviewees so far...their intelligence. It's the way they put the words together, the way they can see things others cannot. Sure, listen to this podcast for the facts, but every once in a while Andrew drops wisdom that will drop your jaw.

He tells the story of getting Lennon and McCartney to let the Stones cut "I Wanna Be Your Man." He runs into them serendipitously after leaving a session freaking out there's no follow-up hit and they come to the studio and pretend to finish the song when the truth is they cut it with Ringo on vocals already. And Andrew said they didn't do it for the money, but to see their names on the record. That was the motivation back then, TO BE PART OF IT! You sat at home looking at your 45s, to see your name under the title...WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR??

Andrew was there. When "Satisfaction" was cut. The key is the acoustic guitars under Mick's vocal that were ultimately mixed way down.

So if you're interested in the Stones.

If you're interested in how someone goes from zero to hero.

Listen.
--
Listen to Andrew Loog Oldham on TuneIn

Apple Podcasts

Google Play

Stitcher

Soundcloud

Overcast
__

[lefsetz.com]

Re: Andrew Loog Oldham on Bob Lefsetz Podcast
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 24, 2018 18:52

Thank you for this. I'm a huge Andrew fan. All three of his books are essential reading. He gets short-changed for his contribution as producer and manager in those early years.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 24, 2018 20:22

bye bye johnny

Andrew was there. When "Satisfaction" was cut. The key is the acoustic guitars under Mick's vocal that were ultimately mixed way down.

All one of them. grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 25, 2018 12:53

Rocky Dijon
Thank you for this. I'm a huge Andrew fan. All three of his books are essential reading. He gets short-changed for his contribution as producer and manager in those early years.

I quite agree.
Unfortunately, his reputation was forever tarnished by the debacle at Immediate where he was ultimately responsible for many of the label's musicians never receiving their royalties. At least The Stones via DECCA/Klein got theirs!

And, of course it was Oldham who basically ensured that ABKCO got control of all the Stones copyrights pre 1970. Mick for one will never forgive him for that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2018 04:50

Thanks bye bye .... Esssential listen...

One should always Listen-Read-Watch all of ALO ...
The cat's razor sharp ..... He's been in the front trenches and lived to tell the tale ...

Sweet Smell of Success indeed ... He'd woulda been at home in that film
..........Most likely woulda outsmarted J. J. Hunsecker .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:29

Yeah, great listen, the ol' Loog is a fascinating fella.

Love his Stoned and 2Stoned books.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home