Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT(ish) Flying (to see stones) with blocked ear?
Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: September 25, 2017 18:12

I've not checked in here for a few months. Silly really but health problems made it look like I wouldn't be able to make Barcelona. And I felt too upset to check out the tour because of that. I've missed out I know on seeing reports, photos, periscopes. Now the main health issues seem under control (touching lots of wood) but my ear has decided to play up!

Never had ear problems before so don't know what to do. Anyone got any advice/tips? Anyone done it (it's blocked because of bad ear wax)? Don't think there's any additional infection although possible because there's been minor pain on and off since Saturday.

Doctor (by telephone because in-person appointments booked today) says I shouldn't fly - but it's at my own risk if I do. Not sure if they're just being over-cautious/covering themselves. Asked around and it seems like the risk of eardrum perforation is low? (it might already be perforated but nurse couldn't tell when she looked a month ago because the ear wax covered it).

Seems like I could be in for some (bad?) pain especially on descent but I'm thinking of suffering for the sake of the stones. Stupid?

Main concern is if there's any bad hearing loss when I get to Barcelona or longterm effects (seems a very low risk?). Especially as my vision won't be great (I have ongoing eye issues that I'm on treatment for).

Re: OT(ish) Flying (to see stones) with blocked ear?
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 25, 2017 18:30

Is there a walk-in Minute-Clinic near you? CVS pharmacies have them.
Or an Urgent Care walk-in clinic attached to a medical building?

I would go for a quick look just to be safe.

Date: September 25, 2017 18:51

I suppose it is best to have it checked before flying just in case. I'm in the UK. My NHS GP had no free same-day appointments by the time I got through on the phone. There is an urgent-care centre somewhere nearish me. Think there may be long waits to be seen.

I'm tempted by private walk-in places. There's one I could go to - £80 for on the spot ear suction. Nearly as much as I paid for 2 lucky dip tickets - and more than I paid for my flights (used avios points). I should have known the stones would cost me somehow....

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 18:55

You've gotta get to a doctor. Your ears are nothing to mess around with. If you have an ear infection, you could also have puss built up, under pressure, behind your eardrum. If that's the case, and the infected area becomes ruptured, it could literally blow a hole through your eardrum, causing a perforation. Sorry for all the puss talk. I know it's gross. Better to be grossed out on the internet than to have a hole in your eardrum, though, right? There's an adage to live by... Go get checked out, then go see The Stones!

Date: September 25, 2017 19:07

I guess you're right. The doctor on the phone told me the risk was low though. But the way things have been with my health recently I seen to have bad luck so no doubt I'd be one of the unlucky ones..

Flight's tomorrow. I'm heading out now to see if I can get somewhere today. Such a shame I can't swap my tickets for a different show (I have lucky dips so can't even give them away if I can't go).

Date: September 25, 2017 19:12

It will be worth it!
Let us know...

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 19:28

You're making the right decision! thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 25, 2017 21:19

Try a couple of drops of olive oil in your lughole (English slang for ear) a few times a day and after a couple of hours gently rinse with the luke warm shower head......(& repeat) ..........should break up even the most persistent wax.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 21:21 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 25, 2017 21:23

What flight are you on Martha?

Nate

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 21:40

i had an ear infection once, its bloody painful. only antibiotics could cure it.

i wouldnt want to be travelling with an ear infection, if thats what it is.

Date: September 26, 2017 00:26

Feel sick (both literally and metaphorically). Apparently it's not just ear wax but there's also an infection... I've been given some drops.

Told lowish risk of eardrum perforation but they didn't recommend flying. I don't currently have full vision (I get by but it isn't ideal) so don't want to risk my hearing/ears too. But then keep thinking I'm being over-cautious. I mean, this is the stones...! I'll sleep on it.

I've cancelled the flights (so I could get a refund in time) but there is still availability (couldn't help checking). Also cancelled the hotel but checked and there are some ok ones left (albeit more expensive).

I'm hoping I will miraculously feel better overnight - and would then rebook.

If the worse happens and I'm still bad tomorrow, I'm going to try to make another show despite this meaning extra expense. I'll try to bring myself to join in by periscope but may need to give it a miss.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 26, 2017 00:36

So sorry to hear about your situation Martha I really hope you get better and can go and enjoy one of the shows on the tour.

All the best

Nate

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 26, 2017 04:35

Ask your doctor if it's okay to take Sudafed decongestant before take off or landing. Most ear issues with flying are related to problems with the eustachian tubes and inner ear. Taking decongestants will help with swelling and blockage as altitude changes. Nasal spray can help, too, if you can't use Sudafed. Good luck.

Date: September 26, 2017 05:02

Wishing you all the best, Martha!
Quick recovery and some live Stones!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 26, 2017 16:18

Ear wax build up - I know all to well about this .So what I would do is get a syringe , if you can find them at a local pharmacy/drug store maybe with the ear drops called dubrovink (not sure about the spelling sorry) but even if you just get one of those rubber syringe go to your sink and fill the syringe with hot (not boiling scolding ) water and start putting it in your ear to loosen the wax and make it break up and come out .Repeat as many times as needed and you should be all set and no need to miss the show .I had this as a kid the first time when I was little when I went swimming with my cousins (who I miss so much ) and my ears got clogged and then I went to the hospital and was made better .

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 26, 2017 20:51

Been suffering with ear infections all my life, my advice, take a course of antibiotics asap and you will feel better in a few days.

A quick fix in time for tomorrow would be to heat a pillow and lie on it with your bad ear. gently the wax comes out, but don't make the pillow too hot.

Obviously i am not a doctor and this could be the wrong thing to do without professional advice. So speak to someone qualified first please.

Good luck and enjoy the show if you do decide to go Martha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 21:19 by stone4ever.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 26, 2017 21:04

At least move your jaws on take off and landings. Also drink water on the plane. I had this problem and eventually it works itself out. I would also recommend wearing a head set as well as ear plugs at the concert to keep out as many decibels as possible. Looks stupid I did it a couple times because I refuse to miss a gig. So I feel your pain. Good luck whatever you decide on.

Date: September 27, 2017 17:49

Thanks to all for the advice. I felt so rotten yesterday - pain, nausea, dizzyness, that I briefly didn't even care about the concert and just wanted my ar to get better (or fall off...).

I'm not in Barcelona and really wish I was. I'm going to try not to dwell on regrets - but will probably allow myself today and tonight to mope!

Olive oil (and the water thing) made it all worse. Went to doctor's again yesterday. There is a bad ear-wax build-up but there was also an infection. On the plus side the antibiotics seem to be working and I feel a bit better today. Too late to fly out in time sadly.

Shit happens. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get another show on this tour - I'm going to make every effort to make at least one.

Wishing all there tonight a fab show.

Date: September 27, 2017 18:06

Wishing you a continued speedy recovery and you simply MUST make it to one of these shows, Martha!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2017 18:40

Best wishes MarthaTuesday!

As you said "shit happens" and as my Grandma used to say "health is wealth".
Not worth the risk or effort to travel when it could have made matters worse, and you might have been suffering at your destination.
There will hopefully be another opportunity to see the Stones, but most importantly for now is to get well soon!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2017 18:52

I am not a doctor but I have a master in computer analysis and hearing so I could give an advice...

If your hearing is blocked that is normally good news because that will probably protect the inner ear. I would add earplugs to make sure the most sensible parts i.e. the small bones and the hearing sensors don't get fatigue because they are already tired. Don't get exposed to any loud noise or music before or after the show. Don't listen to the warmup act, and keep away from the biggest speakers, basic protection.

The human ear can take two hours of music up to pain level, it will sort of self-protect through the smallest muscle in the body, the stapedus muscle, which makes you hear less, as it seems - you sort of fell blocket. That is the whole point. Blocking i.e. protecting. But after 2-3 hours it can't hold anymore so that is why I never go to pre- or post cover bands or any such. When the hearing starts to go it is too late.

Bjornulf

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: September 27, 2017 20:20

Hope you make it...

I would have gone straight to a doc or hospital especially with a Stones ticket at risk!

I am not a doctor either, but before retiring from IBM I flew constantly. I had a 6am flight once to Memphis, woke up at 3am with blocked hearing -- I went straight to a hospital emergency room. I was just wax, but what else do you do before 6am and business to close?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 27, 2017 20:55

Maybe the train to Paris is your answer, Martha. Hope you make it to a show!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 27, 2017 23:16

So now I want to know what happened and if she made Barcelona, hearing intact. Hope so!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 27, 2017 23:42

Don't think she went to Barcelona, but I hope she's listening in!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 27, 2017 23:46

Hope so too, some good streams available!

Everybody say OW!

Date: September 28, 2017 14:39

Couldn't bear to watch any periscopes last night. I'm feeling more up to it today so I'll check out the thread later.

I'd love to do Amsterdam this weekend but Paris gives me more time. Prefer to fly because I have a ton of airmiles but good to have the train option as back-up.

I've never been to Barcelona so it was my preference, and I'll go there another time for sure. Paris is a beautiful city and I haven't been for years so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I've had a run of health issues recently so hoping I don't come down with the flu or something just before Paris! I'll get the flu jab and do what I can to stay healthy.

I have eye problems so the last thing I want is to risk my hearing as well. There's a hearing place near me that does noise protection earplugs so I think I'll check them out this weekend.

Date: September 29, 2017 19:17

Just in case anyone wanted an update. Infection seemed to have cleared up. Wax was still bad so I had my ears suctioned at a private hospital today. I didn't want to wait for NHS appointment because I wanted to be all sorted in time for the Paris shows.

It turns out I have some kind of additional issue with the ear - something to do with the dead skin cells and the bone in my ear canal being exposed and possibly slightly eroded. Apparently it's not common but can be fixed. I'll need to go back a few times but it's being monitored.

I felt silly spending privately just because of desperation to make a show -but now feel it was the right decision - so big thanks to the stones!

Hope to see some of you at one of the remaining shows - most likely Paris.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home