Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:The original Yardbirds "Tangerine"
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:41

Heres the Yardbirds earlier session(which included some lyrics by Relf that were kept and never credited) of "Knowing That I'm Losing You". Guess who fought the release on a later Yardbirds compilation????

[www.megaupload.com]

Re: OT:The original Yardbirds "Tangerine"
Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:58

Verrrry interesting. The Yardbirds are one of my favorite bands, always nice to hear something by them that I hadn't heard before.

I'm guessing it was Jimmy Page who fought against releasing this on a Yardbirds compilation, since he had the 'Yardbirds Live' album pulled after only being out for a week or so (due to Dazed & Confused being on it, and White Summer...and his not being happy with the way it sounded in general).

Legend has it that Jimmy Page wrote "Tangerine" for Jackie DeShannon, who he was involved with back then. (I saw her perform on a PBS fundraising concert recently, she's still beautiful!)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 21, 2009 22:26

They did 'Tangerine' and 'I'm Confused' so badly though that I don't see why Page would care if it was out there. He got it so much better with his next band.

I did like 'Stroll On' though...

Date: April 21, 2009 23:04

Dazed and Confused was actually lifted from folk singer Jake Holmes-the music given the Yardbirds treatment by drummer McCarty and Page. Page is one of the most talented and versatile guitarists of our generation but also one of the biggest song "borrowers". There were numerous out of court settlements with bluesmen over the years. Google "the thieving magpies" for some interesting reading. Holmes even had his version out on an album which Page and McCarty each bought after seeing Holmes set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-21 23:05 by scottkeef.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 21, 2009 23:14

scottkeef
Heres the Yardbirds earlier session(which included some lyrics by Relf that were kept and never credited) of "Knowing That I'm Losing You". Guess who fought the release on a later Yardbirds compilation????

[www.megaupload.com]

I tried to download it but I seemed not to be able to fill in the letters/numbers????????????

Date: April 21, 2009 23:28

A new 4 letter-number combination comes up each time. Look at them as"overlapping" each other. Just try it again until you read the combination correctly.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 21, 2009 23:55

scottkeef
A new 4 letter-number combination comes up each time. Look at them as"overlapping" each other. Just try it again until you read the combination correctly.

Ok help me......................

Date: April 22, 2009 00:07

scottkeef
Dazed and Confused was actually lifted from folk singer Jake Holmes-the music given the Yardbirds treatment by drummer McCarty and Page. Page is one of the most talented and versatile guitarists of our generation but also one of the biggest song "borrowers". There were numerous out of court settlements with bluesmen over the years. Google "the thieving magpies" for some interesting reading. Holmes even had his version out on an album which Page and McCarty each bought after seeing Holmes set.

I've read that they nicked that tune from Jake Holmes, but I've never heard Holmes' version. I never knew that he recorded an album with that on it, that's interesting, maybe I'll get to hear it one of these days.

I've been listening to Davy Graham's album 'Folk, Blues, and Beyond' a lot lately. Page definitely took Graham's arangement of 'She Moved Through the Fair' (an old traditional Irish tune) and renamed it 'White Summer'. Page changed it a little, but not all that much.

Yep, Zep's 'borrowing' is pretty blatant at times. The first time I heard the Small Faces' version of 'You Need Loving', I thought "aha! The missing link between Muddy Waters' 'You Need Love' and Zep's 'Whole Lotta Love'.

While we're on the subject of the Yardbirds, here's a really poor-audio quality recording of them playing the Velvet Underground's "Waiting For the Man":

Date: April 22, 2009 01:05

NICOS
scottkeef

OK thats YXV8

Date: April 22, 2009 03:07

For those of you who just want to listen to it!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 22, 2009 05:53

nice find, scott... one of my favorite LZ tunes, and now I know why!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 22, 2009 08:58

scottkeef
NICOS
scottkeef

OK thats YXV8

This was a nice find...by the way it took me 4 times to crack that code.

Date: April 22, 2009 17:18

I know(its a pain) but its kinda like algebra-it dont make sense and then all of a sudden when you look at it right you've got it!!

Date: April 22, 2009 17:37

I didn't have any problem with the code, but i couldn't ever get the file to play. What the heck is a FRAC file, anyway? Windows doesn't recognize it.

Thanks for posting the YouTube clip of it, which makes all of this a moot point.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 22, 2009 17:42

BluzDude
scottkeef
NICOS
scottkeef

OK thats YXV8

This was a nice find...by the way it took me 4 times to crack that code.

Ha....It only took me twicewinking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 22, 2009 18:32

Keefan
I didn't have any problem with the code, but i couldn't ever get the file to play. What the heck is a FRAC file, anyway? Windows doesn't recognize it.

Thanks for posting the YouTube clip of it, which makes all of this a moot point.

well,actually its a FLAC file but thats a LOSSLESS(no compressed info?) format as opposed to mp3 and other LOSSY formats. Supposedly once you compress the music into lossy files you can never fully recover the info.FLAC is supposed to be cd quality.foobar2000 is the software I use to listen to it. Maybe someone else can jump in that are alot smarter than me!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 22, 2009 23:41

The Yardbirds performing Dazed and Confused on French television - 1968

Posted by: dph ()
Date: April 24, 2009 04:15

Thanks for the "Dazed and Confused" link. Never seen that before. Recent discovery?

Regarding FLAC, it's Free Lossless Audio Codec. Basically ZIP or WinRAR for audio. The files get smaller, maybe 60% of the original, but nothing is lost. Other lossless codecs are APE and SHN. mp3 and other "lossy" codecs make the audio files even smaller, but they also throw away data that can never be recovered.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2009 12:36

dph
Thanks for the "Dazed and Confused" link. Never seen that before. Recent discovery?

No, I don't think so.

There is also a performance on You Tube of Train Kept A Rollin' on French televison from 1966, which features the short-lived Page/Beck lineup - though Page had seemingly yet to switch places with Chris Dreja - he's on bass.

Anyone here know how many times this lineup appeared on television together?

I can only think of three: Ready Steady Go!, the above mentioned and another performance mimming to Ten Years Time Ago - not sure whether thats Euro tv or American.

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: September 19, 2017 08:42

Could anyone kind re-post this by original lossless file?

Thanks in advance

Posted by: keithpinkmoon ()
Date: September 28, 2017 02:51

Anyone?

Best regards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home