Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: 47 years ago today Jimi Passed
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 19, 2017 02:24

Wow. 47 years gone and we still listen to Jimi with wonderment at what he could do with a guitar. Here's a link to a post someone put up re his greatest riffs. I could quibble with one or two of the selections, but all are good.

[www.iheart.com]

Re: OT: 47 years ago today Jimi Passed
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 19, 2017 02:53

[www.youtube.com]

"It not unorthodox; I thought it was beautiful..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2017 04:21

Absolute best rock and roll guitar player ever imo...RIP JIMI.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 19, 2017 04:40

I remember buying electric ladyland album. I was digging jimi at age 12!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2017 05:40

Proud to have been raised in the same neighborhood as Jimi in Seattle, albeit some 17 years later. Remember hearing him for the first time on a local Bowling Alley's juke box when I was like 9 and was blown away .. still am. Incredible talent. RIP

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 19, 2017 11:57

MisterDDDD
Proud to have been raised in the same neighborhood as Jimi in Seattle, albeit some 17 years later.

can you confirm Jimi's memory was almost completely forgotten in the 70's? It took the 80's (and MTV?) to bring back his name and his genius to hethe collective memory?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 19, 2017 12:46

dcba -you're correct. It was about 1979 when I caught on to him. Where I grew up (near Miami) the only older band anyone from my generation liked was Led Zeppelin. There was also a resurgence in The Doors thanks to a greatest hits album. Suddenly they were cool again. Jimi is in my opinion the greatest musician ever, and had a beautiful personality from what I gather. R.I.P. Jimi and thanks very much to him for the legacy he left us. Think I will always be awestruck by him.

Date: September 20, 2017 11:07

"almost completely forgotten in the 70's? It took the 80's (and MTV?) to bring back his name and his genius to hethe collective memory"?

Hmmm...that sounds strange to me, and not sure if it's some kind of a joke?
Hendrix was always on everybodys list of greats where I'm from in Southern California - through the 60's and 70's up until this very day. In the early-mid '70's, "A Film about Jimi Hendrix" documentary was almost always being played at select late night theater showings, and his music was constantly played on every rock station. Purple Haze, Hey Joe, All Along the Watchtower, etc. were on every juke box. My older brother had every album (including many boots), which were eventually passed on to me when I began learning to play guitar. I remember being in 7th grade in '75, this crazy black kid named Bernard would walk around campus with a cassette deck held to his ear blasting Hendrix - it was the only music he listened to! High school bands always played Hendrix covers at parties. Not sure how he could possibly ever be "almost completely forgotten in the '70's" and then revived by MTV in the '80's (?), but maybe it depends on your upbringing, surroundings, and what type of music you were listening to. But again, is that statement some kind of a joke?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 20, 2017 12:30

Hairball- maybe I should have been more clear to say the kids my age in the late 70's didn't care about Jimi and that generation. To my memory they only got into LZ. There were a oddities like me but most of those guys were into groups like AC/DC and Van Halen. Which isn't bad of course, but no 60's bands. I had to air brush my own tie-dye shirt to represent Jimi in those days. Now there's so many beautiful examples in the market place. Who says things don't improve!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:20

frankotero
Hairball- maybe I should have been more clear to say the kids my age in the late 70's didn't care about Jimi and that generation. To my memory they only got into LZ. There were a oddities like me but most of those guys were into groups like AC/DC and Van Halen. Which isn't bad of course, but no 60's bands. I had to air brush my own tie-dye shirt to represent Jimi in those days. Now there's so many beautiful examples in the market place. Who says things don't improve!

Spot on.

Date: September 20, 2017 20:43

frankotero

Understood, but again might have to do with particular surroundings? Jimi was always huge throughout the '70s in Southern California amongst people my age - I was 16 in 1979 - as well as younger and older people (as explained in my previous post). Maybe it was the size of the L.A. area, the numerous radio stations, and the overall rock and roll atmosphere? Of course Zeppelin were huge - possibly the hugest for me in the latter half of the decade, and some of the up and coming bands you mention were also popular all over the radio. And then there was the onslaught of punk rock which also captivated many of us - seeing many of those bands play all over the area especially in the clubs of Hollywood. But there were many bands from the '60's that were also still very relevant in my area, none of which were ever really forgotten. Just seemed odd to read that Jimi was forgotten throughout the '70's only to be revived by MTV (and I don't recall anything specific about MTV that promoted Hendrix), but I suppose that might be true for some depending on a variety of circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 20:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 20, 2017 21:23

I graduated high school in 1980 and certainly knew about him and the Experience album and his reputation. A few kids in the school were into him.
Understandable he wouldn't be that big since he was gone and belonged to a different era. (A decade is ancient history to a teenager. Kids are mostly interested in the current moment.)
Also at that time rock music was still just for young people, probably under 35. As the boomers aged, their music took over the popular airwaves.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 20, 2017 21:27

Jimi was forgotten in the 70s? and brought back by MTV? Are we talking about an alternate universe or another planet?Jimi was a god in the 70s as was Jim Morrison.they couldn't tour or put out new music obviously so the decade was pretty much owned by four bands-led zeppelin,Pink Floyd,the Rolling Stones and The Who.these are the four bands that could sellout a stadium on their name alone,they owned that decade.
Hendrix was already on mt Rushmore with Morrison,certainly not forgotten.you could have just as easily heard watchtower,fire,purple haze,or hey joe as any new music on the old rock stations around the country,I know because I traveled a lot back then.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 20, 2017 21:54

Love "the Jimi!"

I often think about where he would have gone musically had he lived. What a genius. He was just so far ahead of the curve not just on a musical playing ability, but how he utilized the technology of the day to create varied and interesting sounds.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:15

lem motlow
Jimi was forgotten in the 70s? and brought back by MTV? Are we talking about an alternate universe or another planet?Jimi was a god in the 70s as was Jim Morrison.they couldn't tour or put out new music obviously so the decade was pretty much owned by four bands-led zeppelin,Pink Floyd,the Rolling Stones and The Who.these are the four bands that could sellout a stadium on their name alone,they owned that decade.
Hendrix was already on mt Rushmore with Morrison,certainly not forgotten.you could have just as easily heard watchtower,fire,purple haze,or hey joe as any new music on the old rock stations around the country,I know because I traveled a lot back then.

Morrison was nothing in the 70s. Music should be easy on the ear. Abba, Bellamy Brothers and other mayflies were the names of the day. There were no books on the Doors until Sugerman`s "No One Here Gets Out Alive" around 1980, plus the "American Prayer" album in the late 70s helped.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:23

noughties
lem motlow

Morrison was nothing in the 70s. Music should be easy on the ear. Abba, Bellamy Brothers and other mayflies were the names of the day. There were no books on the Doors until Sugerman`s "No One Here Gets Out Alive" around 1980, plus the "American Prayer" album in the late 70s helped.

"Music should be easy on the ear"...say what?

I don't know where you're from, but Abba and the Bellamy Brothers were never played on rock stations lol.

The Doors were always relevant throughout the '70's in the L.A. area - the fact they were an L.A. based band might have something to do with that. They along with Hendrix were staples on every rock station, and I can guarantee Abba or the Bellamy Brothers never were - they were something you'd hear on top 40, easy listening, or see on the Merv Griffin show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 22:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:26

lem motlow
Jimi was forgotten in the 70s? and brought back by MTV? Are we talking about an alternate universe or another planet?

I was just quoting an article I read years ago. Said article implied Jimi's commercial value had gone so low in the mid-70's it allowed this @sshole Alan Douglas to "play" with original master tapes, erasing some Jimi's parts and having the songs overdubbed by nobodies.

It took the 80's and the CD reissue of his studio to make Jimi's rise again.

Date: September 20, 2017 22:38

dcba
lem motlow
Jimi was forgotten in the 70s? and brought back by MTV? Are we talking about an alternate universe or another planet?

I was just quoting an article I read years ago. Said article implied Jimi's commercial value had gone so low in the mid-70's it allowed this @sshole Alan Douglas to "play" with original master tapes, erasing some Jimi's parts and having the songs overdubbed by nobodies.

It took the 80's and the CD reissue of his studio to make Jimi's rise again.

Those were done with some unfinished recordings, and I believe the only albums that had overdubbing by others were Midnight Landing, Crash Landing, and Nine to the Universe. For what it's worth, Mitch Mitchell approved.

But this really shows that Hendrix was still in high demand and relevant - Alan Douglas and co. were milking it for all it was worth by releasing substandard material.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 22:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 20, 2017 22:40

I see dcba but don't believe everything you read.trust me Hendrix was huge in the 70s the Douglas thing was just a bad contract.there was only one question as to who was the greatest guitar player ever back then-did Jimmy Page surpass Hendrix yet or is that even possible.no one else even entered into it,not Beck,not Clapton.it was Jimi or Jimmy.its actually still a good question.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 21, 2017 01:42

noughties
lem motlow

Morrison was nothing in the 70s? Not if you saw Apocalypse Now. He's Hot, He's Sexy, He's Dead. The Doors had a major resurgence in the 70s. And I don't remember Hendrix ever really being forgotten. Maybe Disco overshadowed classic rock for a few years, but it all came back pretty quick.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 21, 2017 10:48

lem motlow
I see dcba but don't believe everything you read.trust me Hendrix was huge in the 70s the Douglas thing was just a bad contract.there was only one question as to who was the greatest guitar player ever back then-did Jimmy Page surpass Hendrix yet or is that even possible.no one else even entered into it,not Beck,not Clapton.it was Jimi or Jimmy.its actually still a good question.

And an easy one.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Charlie Christian
8. Keith Richards
9. Jimmy Page
10. Howlin Wolf
11. Brian Jones (early years)

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 21, 2017 14:55

24FPS
Morrison was nothing in the 70s? Not if you saw Apocalypse Now. He's Hot, He's Sexy, He's Dead. The Doors had a major resurgence in the 70s. And I don't remember Hendrix ever really being forgotten. Maybe Disco overshadowed classic rock for a few years, but it all came back pretty quick.

Apocalypse Now came at the same time as the said re-evaluation, late 70s/early 80s. Before that, it was "uh". I was surrounded by mr. averages, which means I was in the Norwegian army. They were not diehards of any kind, nor Vietnam vets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home