Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Kinda - Sheryl Crow
Date: July 11, 2017 21:21

Went and saw Willie Nelson / Sheryl Crow / Lucas Nelson last Thursday

I really dig Lucas Nelson. Talented and fun to watch. Check him out. A good song to youtube is "Just Breath "- Him and Willie together.

Sheryl had a very good show. One song she started with Heart Breaker then went into her song at the end. Another song she started playing the harmonica towards the end then the next thing ya know all the band members were together in front of the drum set and it sounded just like the Midnight Rambler jam. Way cool.

Willie was Willie. Everyone should see him. I think he is 82 rushes thru his set but still sounds good and he is about the last one left from his gang.

I will miss him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 22:09 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Re: OT: Kinda - Sheryl Crow
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 11, 2017 23:04

Damn, Willie is actually 84. Saw him in 2014...he does rush through his set, very little banter, but it's professional and fun. His acoustic solos are a bit clunky now but his voice is still fantastic.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 11, 2017 23:40

I've seen Willie many times, most recently at the final Bridge Concert. Whiskey River Take me Home indeed....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 12, 2017 06:39

Woz
Whiskey River Take me Home indeed....

Is that where it intersects with the Country Road? Usually Whiskey River just takes my mind.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 12, 2017 07:13

Willie & Family are coming to the little venue less than 3 miles from my house.

[www.liveatfloores.com]

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 12, 2017 16:04

rattler2004
Willie & Family are coming to the little venue less than 3 miles from my house.

[www.liveatfloores.com]
That's what happened when I saw Willie, Alison Krauss and Kasey Musgraves in 2014...they played at a little performing arts center about 5 miles from me.

I couldn't believe my good luck. I wish all concerts were so convenient.

Date: July 12, 2017 16:08

Last year I saw him New Years Eve in Austin.

It was a blast and one of my best New Years Eves ever.

Worth doing and a good road trip.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 12, 2017 20:41

Seems the conversation drifted more towards Willie than Sheryl, but I think Sheryl's great. I don't know her music well or follow her career, but anytime I've seen her on TV or as a guest she's been great. It certainly helps that I also think she's hot as hell, but even without that she just seems like a cool rock chick. Made good decisions in her career, very respectful of so many artists, and just game to contribute anyway she can. I actually love her duet of Honky Tonk Women on Live Licks, I loved when she was part of Linda Ronstadt's induction at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, I've seen her play Midnight Rider with the Allman Brothers where she was great. Many many other examples. I think she sang backup on Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert maybe? Cool musician, glad she's had such a successful career. There are some songs of hers, particularly If It Makes You Happy, that I do think are just great songs. I can see her show being really good.

Date: July 12, 2017 21:11

RollingFreak
Seems the conversation drifted more towards Willie than Sheryl, but I think Sheryl's great. I don't know her music well or follow her career, but anytime I've seen her on TV or as a guest she's been great. It certainly helps that I also think she's hot as hell, but even without that she just seems like a cool rock chick. Made good decisions in her career, very respectful of so many artists, and just game to contribute anyway she can. I actually love her duet of Honky Tonk Women on Live Licks, I loved when she was part of Linda Ronstadt's induction at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, I've seen her play Midnight Rider with the Allman Brothers where she was great. Many many other examples. I think she sang backup on Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert maybe? Cool musician, glad she's had such a successful career. There are some songs of hers, particularly If It Makes You Happy, that I do think are just great songs. I can see her show being really good.
Sheryl was technically the first live act I ever saw, as she opened for the Stones at Foxboro Stadium in '97. After seeing probably a few hundred bands since, that's a nice distinction.

I remember the summer of 1994...her music was EVERYWHERE when Tuesday Night Music Club broke big. Don't think I went more than an hour without seeing one of her videos on MTV or VH-1.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 12, 2017 21:27

RollingFreak

I agree with this post. I think she is a welcome presence in anything she works on.

Like Tom Petty, I wouldn't list her as an original, or a performer that reaches the top-level of Rock n' Roll. (Like Joplin or Tina Turner) But she is a solid pro that writes fresh, well-crafted, classic-sounding songs (If It Makes You Happy, Soak Up The Sun) that don't sound derivative or obvious in their inspiration. (unlike say, Nick Lowe sometimes)

I wish there were more artists like her today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home