Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone - Jim Dickinson memoir
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 22, 2017 02:15

This book may be very interesting. The latest edition of Mojo magazine (April 2017, with U2 on the cover) features an excerpt of this book chronicling the Stones' 1969 session at Muscle Shoals.

A passionate insider's account from a major mover and shaker in the American music scene

I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone chronicles Jim Dickinson's extraordinary life in the Memphis music scene of the fifties and sixties and how he went on to play with and produce a rich array of artists, including Aretha Franklin, the Rolling Stones, Ry Cooder, Duane Allman, Arlo Guthrie, and Albert King. With verve and wit, Dickinson (1941-2009) describes how his trip to Blind Lemon's grave on the Texas flatlands as a college student and how that encounter inspired his return to Memphis. Back home, he looked up Gus Cannon and Furry Lewis, began staging plays, cofounded what would become the annual Memphis Blues Festival, and started recording.

The blues, Elvis, and early rock 'n' roll compelled Dickinson to reject racial barriers and spurred his contributions to the Memphis music and experimental art scene. He explains how the family yardman, WDIA, Dewey Philips, Furry Lewis, Will Shade, and Howlin' Wolf shaped him and recounts how he went on to learn his craft at Sun, Ardent, American, Muscle Shoals, and Criteria studios from master producers Sam Phillips, John Fry, Chips Moman, and Jerry Wexler.

Dickinson is a member of the Mississippi Music Hall of Fame and an inaugural inductee of the Memphis Music Hall of Fame. He has received the Lifetime Achievement Award for Engineering and Production from the Americana Music Association, a Brass Note on the Beale Street Walk of Fame in Memphis, and a Heritage Marker on the Mississippi Blues Trail. This memoir recounts a love affair with Memphis, the blues, and rock 'n' roll through Dickinson's captivating blend of intelligence, humor, and candor.

Jim Dickinson (1941-2009) worked with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Alex Chilton, and T-Model Ford, among others. His sons, Luther and Cody, are the founding members of the North Mississippi All Stars. Ernest Suarez, Washington, DC, is professor of English at the Catholic University of America and president of the Association of Literary Scholars, Critics, and Writers. He has published widely on southern literature, contemporary poetry, and music.

248 pages (approx.), 6 x 9 inches, 19 b&w illustrations, index

[www.upress.state.ms.us]

Re: I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone - Jim Dickinson memoir
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 22, 2017 16:15

Thanks for sharing the info. This is a book that I'll be looking forward to reading. Although I was a fan of his sons band first, through researching them, I discovered Jim and became a fan of his as well. Thankfully I should be done with my Sam Cooke biography by the time this one gets released on 4/01/2017. Aretha Franklins bio will have to wait.

For anyone interested:
Jim Dickinson's final album was recorded with his sons shortly before he died in 2009. Not sure if the reissue will include more music than the original (9 songs) but it appears a new edition is being released in conjunction with the book. Although the band's are obviously different, people who enjoy the "spirit" of the Stones' Blue & Lonesome album, have a good chance of enjoying this album as well.

YouTube link for playlist of the album:

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 22, 2017 17:03

Jim Dickinson played piano on Wild Horses.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 22, 2017 17:09

mr_dja
Thanks for sharing the info. This is a book that I'll be looking forward to reading. Although I was a fan of his sons band first, through researching them, I discovered Jim and became a fan of his as well. Thankfully I should be done with my Sam Cooke biography by the time this one gets released on 4/01/2017. Aretha Franklins bio will have to wait.

For anyone interested:
Jim Dickinson's final album was recorded with his sons shortly before he died in 2009. Not sure if the reissue will include more music than the original (9 songs) but it appears a new edition is being released in conjunction with the book. Although the band's are obviously different, people who enjoy the "spirit" of the Stones' Blue & Lonesome album, have a good chance of enjoying this album as well.

YouTube link for playlist of the album:
[www.youtube.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes, there will be some bonus tracks:

"I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone (Lazarus Edition) is Jim's 5th album released on Memphis International Records. The "Lazarus Edition" is the second album culled from his Friday, June 2, 2006 concert on the stage of the New Daisy Theater on Beale Street. He is backed by the North Mississippi All Stars, sons Luther on guitar and vocals and Cody on bass and vocals along with de facto/honorary son Chris Chew on bass plus session jack-of-all-tracks Jimmy Davis on guitar and vocals. The "Lazarus Edition" includes unreleased tracks from that live recording and two historical live tracks featuring legendary Sun Records rhythm section band members including Roland Janes, Stan Kessler, Cowboy Jack Clement, Billy Lee Riley and J.M. Van Eaton."

[memphisinternational.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 22, 2017 17:39

Thanks Cristiano Radtke for doing more thorough and successful research than I was able to do! Time to add another album to my wish list!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: February 23, 2017 16:37

Here's an excerpt in another thread.
[iorr.org]

Terrific read.

Date: February 23, 2017 20:44

GS1978
Here's an excerpt in another thread.
[iorr.org]

Terrific read.

Yup, that's the one I mentioned. Great read indeed. thumbs up

Date: April 22, 2017 23:16

"Dickinson is as good as his word here, dead but still alive in spirit, sounding as mean and powerful as ever". Indeed.

[nodepression.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home