Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Brian Interview And Virus
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: November 23, 2010 19:42

Brian is being interviewed at the beginning of L.R.R... I never thought much of it when he mentioned having picked up a virus etc... talking bout his health... but is this The Brain you read about ..getting sick..etc..... you think that would really spill over in a interview?????

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 23:19 by Marhsall.

Re: The man's name
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 23, 2010 19:46

Brian, not brain.

>> you think that would really spill over in a interview? <<

well, you see that it did "spill over in a interview", right?
so ... maybe i don't understand your question

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 19:48 by with sssoul.

Re: Brain Interview And Virus
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2010 19:51

Who the heck is Brain?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 23, 2010 19:58

71Tele
Who the heck is Brain?

Well the thread was started by a guy that misspelled MARSHALL for his username.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: November 23, 2010 19:58

just asking was he really as o.c.d to be talking bout his health & etc.... I've never really seen footage of the complaining , whining Brian Jones.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 20:27 by Marhsall.

Date: November 23, 2010 20:12

Marhsall
just asking was he really as o.c.d to be talking bout his health & etc.... I've never really seen footage of the complaining , whining Brain Jones.

Marshall (or "Marhsall): It's "Brian". BRIAN. Basic stuff here. Rolling Stones 101.

Re: Brian
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 23, 2010 21:04

could you fix the spelling in the thread title, please Marhsall, to save our host bv the trouble?
go back to your first post, click the "edit post" button under it, make the necessary changes, then save it.
thanks

>> just asking was he really as o.c.d to be talking about his health & etc <<

... you see/hear in the clip you posted that he's talking about his health

Re: BrIAn Interview And Virus
Date: November 23, 2010 21:11

Marhsall
just asking was he really as o.c.d to be talking bout his health & etc.... I've never really seen footage of the complaining , whining Brian Jones.

obsessive compulsive disorder? i don't follow. answering a question that was posed to him is OCD?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 23, 2010 21:12

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-23 23:20 by EddieByword.

Re: Brian Interview And Virus
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 24, 2010 00:37

Guys, leave Marlsahl alone!

I think it's an excellent observation--that of all the things Brian could talk about in a brief interview, he talks about "the doctors" not having been able to figure out what his virus is, and the doctors say his immune system is weakened.

Even when the interviewer says "So I understand you're taking break," Brian's response is: "Well, not me personally" which is presumptuous--and narcissistic--of Brian.

If Mick or Keith or Charlie were asked the same question they would of course know the "you" intended re: taking a holiday meant plural "you"--i.e., the band. But Brian feels he has to make sure the interviewer doesn't think only he needs a break.

So, to me, it is revealing of Brian. And is annoying. And he is whining and airing how compromised physically he is, as if that would be as interesting to anyone as it apparently is to him.

Again, Mick, Keith, Charlie would have not only not complained under circs like that about their "fascinating" mysterious health malady that even "the doctors" can't figure out, they would have been more politic and used the opportunity to the band's advantage.

In this same clip, when Mick is asked a question directly about him (the book) he (a) broadens it to be about the Stones, and when pressed specifically about him, (b) he is self-deprecating and turns it into a joke ("Mashed potatoes and all that" )

Good ctcah, Masrhall!

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-25 02:29 by swiss.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:26

I wouldn't say it's whining, more the effect of that unusual, pedantic way Brian sometimes had of speaking and writing, perhaps coupled with a defensiveness you wouldn't expect from someone who was apparently seeing his dreams coming true. Perhaps also a hint of a habit of using his own frailty to his advantage?

Anita said something about Brian's way of expressing himself and how it was misunderstood but I can't remember where I read it. Something about wanting to make himself understood precisely. The value of words. That sort of thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 01:32 by Squiggle.

Date: November 24, 2010 02:18

Squiggle
I wouldn't say it's whining, more the effect of that unusual, pedantic way Brian sometimes had of speaking and writing, perhaps coupled with a defensiveness you wouldn't expect from someone who was apparently seeing his dreams coming true. Perhaps also a hint of a habit of using his own frailty to his advantage?

Anita said something about Brian's way of expressing himself and how it was misunderstood but I can't remember where I read it. Something about wanting to make himself understood precisely. The value of words. That sort of thing.

You're right, Squiggle. It is largely his unusual pedantic, affected delivery. I'm sure I'm like Brian sometimes, wanting to be understood, taking extra care, overexplaining, as well as being narcissistic enough to think anyone would (or should) be paying close enough attention to what I'd say to parse out every nuance.

BUT. Marshall's point is a fair one.

It was neither the time nor place to start in talking about what "the doctors" have said...and his frail constitution. Not whining, but elevating his individual importance, like a boor at a party who corners you and starts talking about their gout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-25 02:27 by swiss.

Date: November 24, 2010 03:04

Sorry for getting on your case Marshall, Thanks for posting this nice clip.

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: November 24, 2010 07:06

Squiggle

Nicely said, Squiggle. I agree...

Add to it that Brian being sick/missing concert dates was considered "BIG NEWS" at the time and reported in multiple music mags. It's an interesting time capsule in that regard.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:10

Brian missing gigs has been blown way out of proportion, he probably missed about 15 or so shows and they werent' all down to him being ill.

Take a look at their touring schedule from 1963 - 1966, crazy sh*t that would probably kill most folks!

Brian being a somewhat weaker person health wise than the others isn't a crime. The fact he played on with a broken hand in late 1966 tells me he was a lot more loyal to the band than he is given credit for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 09:17 by His Majesty.

Date: November 24, 2010 09:12

courtfieldroad
Add to it that Brian being sick/missing concert dates was considered "BIG NEWS" at the time and reported in multiple music mags.

But...that's not what the interviewer was asking about. He was prompting him with a simple generic: so you boys are taking off some time, huh?

When Brian continues to talk about himself and his maladies the interviewer cuts him off. The interviewer wasn't following up on at hot story of Brian missing gigs.

Date: November 24, 2010 09:18

His Majesty
Brian missing gigs has been blown way out of proportion, he probably missed about 15 or so shows. Take a look at their touring schedule from 1963 - 1966, crazy sh*t that would probably kill most folks!

Brian being a somewhat weaker person health wise than the others isn't a crime.

For sure!

I think the issue is his talking about himself and his feeble health as if it were appropriate or interesting in that context---i.e., a generic prompt for a few banal comments prior to their playing. It is indicative of Brian's personality. Self-involved. Presuming the interviewer wishes to know about his cold...and kinda going on about it.

As said, the others wouldn't have talked about themselves like that if they had a cold; if for no other reason they had a band/group identity and owuldn't have rattled on about themselves like that.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:24

hmpff! We're talking about Brian Jones here, the founder of The Rolling Stones...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 24, 2010 09:32

swiss

For sure!

I think the issue is his talking about himself and his feeble health as if it were appropriate or interesting in that context---i.e., a generic prompt for a few banal comments prior to their playing. It is indicative of Brian's personality. Self-involved. Presuming the interviewer wishes to know about his cold...and kinda going on about it.

As said, the others wouldn't have talked about themselves like that if they had a cold; if for no other reason they had a band/group identity and owuldn't have rattled on about themselves like that.

He doesn't just talk about himself and I don't see anything wrong with what he says or how he says it. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:45

Brian was very articulate and gave easily the best interviews of all the Stones. He's just answering the question honestly. He would have writen a fantastic book and its tragic that a vital viewpoint on the Stones died with him.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:57

Brian suffered from asthma so at times he would have been prone to breathing difficulties and related problems - something which some people believe may have led to his eventual demise.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:41

I remember Mick in an interview saying that Brian shouldn't have been in show business. There is a certain phoniness to show business, and why show the bastards your weakness? Brian's talking about his health is disconcerting because we don't expect someone to speak honestly. It's like asking someone how they're doing and they go on about what's wrong with them. An Entertainment Show on National Television is the inappropriate place to go on about your little health problem.

Date: November 24, 2010 11:03

24FPS
I remember Mick in an interview saying that Brian shouldn't have been in show business. There is a certain phoniness to show business, and why show the bastards your weakness? Brian's talking about his health is disconcerting because we don't expect someone to speak honestly. It's like asking someone how they're doing and they go on about what's wrong with them. An Entertainment Show on National Television is the inappropriate place to go on about your little health problem.

+1

Date: November 24, 2010 11:19

24FPS

Well had Brian been anything other than who he was, everything would be different including Mick's life, vice verse etc etc.

So if I understand it you are having a go at him for being honest about something just because it doesn't follow the rules of some imaginary show business rule book?

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 24, 2010 12:34

Some of the gigs Brian missed, well it was certainly NOT ONLY due to poor health. The other band members got really pissed off when they saw photos of Brian partying with celebrities after calling in sick before a show... 'It meant they had to work harder because he didn't feel like working at all that night.
This - and other charming stories that explain about Brian, his ways, his health etc - and fundamentally important Stones history - you can actually pick up in a book called LIFE, by some bestselling author named Richards, Keith. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2010 14:05

mikeeder
Brian was very articulate and gave easily the best interviews of all the Stones. He's just answering the question honestly. He would have writen a fantastic book and its tragic that a vital viewpoint on the Stones died with him.

This is the thought I had when I was reading Bob Dylan's CHRONICLES and his description of himself - a nobody boy out of nowhere - getting to New York City, getting into the circles, sensing the music in the air, and reconstructing all those little beautiful nuances around him. That reminds me so much of Brian Jones coming from Cheltenham to London around the same time. Brian, of any the stones, had the way of words - trying to articulate himself carefully with the words. What a shame he didn't live longer enough to really tell it all to us. There was no serious rock jourmalism or anything serious related to pop culture by the time of his death. His view of things would have been a marvellous read. What a waste!

I need to say - to speculate - perhaps having the same kind of past experiences it was no wonder Dylan and Brian seemed to get along quite well. If one reads Bob's book and what he says of the significance of discovering Robert Johnson, and relates this to what he says of Brian Jones taht he was was able to play wonderful Robert Johnson stuff to a big amazement of him, speaks volumes.

Of the clip - I don't recall seeing the interview part earlier (or paying attention to it), but I need to say no matter what he says, Brian Jones is a kind of defination of coolness at the time - even always filmatic and charismatic Mick Jagger seems to struggle in being the subject of the attention. Clearly those two were the co-leaders of the band. And if we look the whole performance, this might one of the greatest filmed moments of Brian Jones ever. He looks so happy and proud in mimicking to play that slide. Maybe his best moment within the Stones ever (taking the fact that they were having a pure blues number as a A-side then). And probably the last moment of that kind of importance and glory. Namely, a lot of things were happening behind the curtains at the time.

But it is also in regards to this kind of internal and external significance he clearly had, I can understand why the others were having problems with, for example, his absence in some gigs, and his over-all kind of showings of disinterest or even "disloyalty". He was so important that he could "play" with these kind of things, and this surely pissed the rest off. I think that was one of the reasons why the rest evolved to be independent of Brian's contribution, even tough it would take some years to really to be realized. Keith's role in making songs was central to his development. A clever manager Andrew surely did his own conclusions and had his own contribution in marginalizing Brian's role, and getting Keith more to focus, if we are to be believe Andrew's and Bill Wyman's testimony.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 14:25 by Doxa.

Date: November 24, 2010 14:18

Addicted
Some of the gigs Brian missed, well it was certainly NOT ONLY due to poor health. The other band members got really pissed off when they saw photos of Brian partying with celebrities after calling in sick before a show... 'It meant they had to work harder because he didn't feel like working at all that night.
This - and other charming stories that explain about Brian, his ways, his health etc - and fundamentally important Stones history - you can actually pick up in a book called LIFE, by some bestselling author named Richards, Keith. >grinning smiley<

If one looks the clip here one can only understand how HORRIBLE it was for that big-eared shy-looking boy in Mick's right to take care of the duties of this articulated, self-secure performer the camera seemingly loves. I can understand why it must have felt terrible for poor Keith to take that to his shoulders at the time.... but I guess in a long run it worked because Keith needed to work harder and gather more self-security and self-esteem and charisma to really "lead" the band from the front (see Keith's description in his bible of him being a natural-born leader (boy-scout leader-> army general/band leader) who leads from the front).

- Doxa

Date: November 24, 2010 14:34

His Majesty
24FPS

Well had Brian been anything other than who he was, everything would be different including Mick's life, vice verse etc etc.

So if I understand it you are having a go at him for being honest about something just because it doesn't follow the rules of some imaginary show business rule book?

I have never thought that specific Mick Jagger quote is anyway belittlening or pejorative towards Brian. I think Mick was sincere in reflecting that Brian was not really a show business person. Yeah, he was vital in making The Stones popular and everything, and the "fame" surely went to his head but I think he basically was more of a blues purist, artistic, serious, authentic player in the first place. Keith only sees that Brian was not able to cope with fame - but I think Mick goes deeper in seeing the reasons for this.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 14:36 by Doxa.

Date: November 24, 2010 14:37

24FPS
It's like asking someone how they're doing and they go on about what's wrong with them. An Entertainment Show on National Television is the inappropriate place to go on about your little health problem.

you are exactly correct. what might be appropriate for 60 MINUTES is not appropriate
for AMERICAN BANDSTAND.

Date: November 24, 2010 14:50

Doxa
Keith only sees that Brian was not able to cope with fame - but I think Mick goes deeper in seeing the reasons for this.

- Doxa

To continue my speculation: I think the reason why they - Mick and Keith - are viewing Brian differently is that wheareas Mick sees the pure naked nature of the show business and is not taking it personally, Keith believes that his fate is to be a Rolling Stone, a kind of immortal celebrity-status rock star the lesser souls are adoring. Keith is an authentic rock star more than anyone else in this world but he has done so much for it and put all his soul into it. He thereby sees Brian as a loser in his game, whereas Mick sees him not the right kind of person to show business.

Does anyone get what I try to say?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 14:56 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home