Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.I.P. William Peter Blatty - Exorcist author
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 14, 2017 01:46

One of the most frightening scariest books I ever read late into the night. The first movie is still pretty creepy. The "Exorcist II: The Heretic" with Richard Burton and Linda Blair is one of the baddest movies ever made and I've watched it a few times, shaking my head, going, WTF?. Director Martin Scorsese said of "Exorcist II: The Heretic", that it was one of his top five bad movies of all time. You gotta see it to believe it. Hopefully, the Devil is not saying hey to Mister Blatty.

Re: OT: R.I.P. William Peter Blatty - Exorcist author
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2017 02:43

His book inspired one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen.
My mom didn't want to see it based on the reviews when it was released (and stories of audience members freaking out), and was upset at my dad for taking my older sister and I.
Being 11 years old, I was frozen in my seat and scared to death... eye popping smiley...my Mom was right, we shouldn't have been allowed to see it at that young age!
To this day I still like to watch it on occasion, and it's still a bit creepy, but my wife refuses to watch it. smiling smiley

I remember watching pt. II on cable back in the early '80s with friends - it was actually funny it was so bad.

RIP Mr. Blatty - you had quite an imagination.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 14, 2017 04:18

Scariest movie EVER. Saw it in NY and people had actually fainted in the theater. RIP Sir.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 04:19 by steffialicia.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 14, 2017 06:06

The Exorcist steps are a lesser known landmark in DC. I used to drive past them all the time when I lived near that area. The book and the movie were a cool part of the Georgetown story.

RIP Mr. Blatty.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: January 14, 2017 07:11

I did the steps in Georgetown not long ago. Watched the movie as a kid. Put me off horror flicks for life.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 14, 2017 07:23

The book is awesome...and so is the first film.

The second film is one of the worst films I've EVER seen. Absolute trash...it has a great pedigree too. Directed by John Boorman (who did Deliverance) and with Louise Fletcher fresh off her Oscar win for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

The third one was decent, with Jason Miller returning as Father Karras and George C. Scott replacing Lee J. Cobb as Lt. Kinderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2017 10:39

keefriff99

The third one was decent, with Jason Miller returning as Father Karras and George C. Scott replacing Lee J. Cobb as Lt. Kinderman.

At least Blatty lived long enough to see the restoration to its proper shape of this one. He wrote and directed it but the stdio execs butchered it before its theater release.
Late last the director's cut was released on bluray:
[bloody-disgusting.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 14, 2017 18:17

dcba
keefriff99

At least Blatty lived long enough to see the restoration to its proper shape of this one. He wrote and directed it but the stdio execs butchered it before its theater release.
Late last the director's cut was released on bluray:
[bloody-disgusting.com]
That's right! Totally slipped my mind that Blatty actually wrote and directed the third Exorcist.

And Miller didn't exactly play Karras...he was meant to resemble Karras but was a different character.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 14, 2017 19:45

dmay
Director Martin Scorsese said of "Exorcist II: The Heretic", that it was one of his top five bad movies of all time. You gotta see it to believe it. Hopefully, the Devil is not saying hey to Mister Blatty.

Hard to believe that John Boorman--who directed Deliverance--made that one.

I can remember going to Hollywood to see another film (A Bridge Too Far) that opened the same night, and there was a huge, anxious crowd in front of the theater that was screening Exorcist II.

A few days later a friend of mine told me he was in that crowd, and warned me how awful it was. He said the unsuspecting audience in that first-day packed house got verbal and loud about how much they HATED it, to the point where stuff was being thrown at the screen!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 14, 2017 21:38

Hairball
His book inspired one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen.
My mom didn't want to see it based on the reviews when it was released (and stories of audience members freaking out), and was upset at my dad for taking my older sister and I.
Being 11 years old, I was frozen in my seat and scared to death... eye popping smiley...my Mom was right, we shouldn't have been allowed to see it at that young age!
To this day I still like to watch it on occasion, and it's still a bit creepy, but my wife refuses to watch it. smiling smiley

I remember watching pt. II on cable back in the early '80s with friends - it was actually funny it was so bad.

RIP Mr. Blatty - you had quite an imagination.

Excellent summation. I remember seeing it at one the local theatres (non multi-plexes) by myself back when it came out. I think I skipped school to see it. I remember getting chills in the movie when the noises started to come from the attic with the fold down stairs. Great movie.

I actually liked a follow up movie called The Exorcist The Beginning. It explains how things started with the fallen angels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home