Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick congrats Peter Tosh family on Museum
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 8, 2016 17:11

"Following the grand opening of the Peter Tosh Museum in New Kingston, Jamaica last month, rock ‘n’ roll legend Mick Jagger recently sent a video congratulating the family and estate of the late reggae icon. Released exclusively on PeterTosh.com, Jagger—Tosh’s longtime friend and collaborator—sent well wishes and shared their story in the new footage."
See video taped message and story here: [hightimes.com]

One of my favorite SNL musical moments is when Mick surprised Tosh (and viewers) on SNL by joining him for Walk and Don't Look Back..
[vimeo.com]

Re: Mick congrats Peter Tosh family on Museum
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2016 18:21

Nice to see the museum and Mick's message and fun to see their SNL performance again. Of course Mick is kind enough not to mention how ugly things got in 1981 when Tosh accused the Stones of not promoting his other two albums properly or incidents like his refusing to leave Ocho Rios when Keith was headed home claiming he would kill Keith if he turned up. And for all the talk of Keith and the blade, there was Mick's run-in with Peter at Compass Point when he was cutting SHE'S THE BOSS when it was Mick who "showed him the blade." Mick has many sides and can be more like Keith than most people suspect. There's a reason they are friends. I always think of John Phillips' remark during his stint recording for Rolling Stones Records when he said if you know them, The Glimmer Twins are more like a pair of gangsters than they are musicians.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 8, 2016 18:56

Don't believe I've heard the Compass Pointe story...can someone enlighten me?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:11

Cool of Mick to send his congrats to the Tosh family via video.thumbs up

Not sure if he surprised Peter on the SNL appearance as a mic was already in place - seems he surprised the audience and viewers though.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:27

Thought the same thing about the mic being placed beforehand..
But in the video to the -family- he talks about 'surprising" him..
Thinking they perhaps would have known if that was true, doesn't seem likely he would lie in the video.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2016 20:02

kovach

Tosh felt that after BUSH DOCTOR, Mick and Keith abandoned MYSTIC MAN and WANTED DREAD AND ALIVE and that both albums suffered commercially as a result. A cameo in the "Waiting on a Friend" video didn't placate him apparently.

This first came to a head when Tosh was a houseguest at Ocho Rios. Keith sent word he needed the house and Tosh refused to leave claiming he would kill Mick or Keith if they came near him. Keith, of course, didn't back down and arrived home to an empty house.

Later, Mick was at Compass Point recording his first solo album when Tosh entered the studio. Mick shook everyone up by unexpectedly brandishing a knife and calling Tosh on his threat. Tosh backed down of course, but Mick's collaborators were surprised by Mick's sudden change in behavior.

When Tosh was murdered a few years later, Keith remarked he wasn't surprised as Tosh had a habit of rubbing people the wrong way.

Date: December 8, 2016 20:12

MisterDDDD
Thought the same thing about the mic being placed beforehand..
But in the video to the -family- he talks about 'surprising" him..
Thinking they perhaps would have known if that was true, doesn't seem likely he would lie in the video.

I did watch the video (twice now) and Mick says this:

"One of the times that I most remember is jumping up on stage at Saturday Night Live and a live tv show and Peter was singing Walk and Don't Look Back and I just crept up and started singing with him"

I never said he lied in the video, but there's nothing about 'surprising' Peter.
I took the 'crept up' part as being a surprise to the audience (you can hear the applause when Mick crept up), rather than surprising Peter.
The fact that there was a mic already set up makes me doubt Peter would be surprised....

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:18

Cool...Thanx for posting...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:32

..... Great news to read of a Peter Tosh museum .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 10, 2016 00:08

Rocky Dijon

Tosh felt that after BUSH DOCTOR, Mick and Keith abandoned MYSTIC MAN and WANTED DREAD AND ALIVE and that both albums suffered commercially as a result. A cameo in the "Waiting on a Friend" video didn't placate him apparently.

This first came to a head when Tosh was a houseguest at Ocho Rios. Keith sent word he needed the house and Tosh refused to leave claiming he would kill Mick or Keith if they came near him. Keith, of course, didn't back down and arrived home to an empty house.

Later, Mick was at Compass Point recording his first solo album when Tosh entered the studio. Mick shook everyone up by unexpectedly brandishing a knife and calling Tosh on his threat. Tosh backed down of course, but Mick's collaborators were surprised by Mick's sudden change in behavior.

When Tosh was murdered a few years later, Keith remarked he wasn't surprised as Tosh had a habit of rubbing people the wrong way.

I just can't picture Mick pulling a knife on anyone. Maybe this is just a "urban legend" thing. I have to admit the thought of Mick and the knife threat makes me giggle.

Date: December 10, 2016 00:32

Agreed swimtothemoon - can't imagine Mick pulling out a knife, maybe a butter knife...
But if he did, not sure how intimidated Tosh would be -standing nearly 12" taller than Mick and on his home turf.
He probably would have laughed in Micks face and pulled out either a ratchet knife or even a giant machete! eye popping smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 10, 2016 00:48

Tosh apparently let three-legged dogs and goats wonder openly around Keith's property.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home