Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT (ish) - Electric Mud
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:01

What's people's thoughts on Electric Mud by Muddy Waters ?; the fuzz-toned psychedelic blues album, with a nifty reinvention of Let's Spend The Night Together.

Re: OT (ish) - Electric Mud
Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:14

amazing, some of his best work.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 02:11

I guess I am with the crowd who thinks it sounds forced and a pander to the psychedelia crowd. Seems bloated and overblown for Muddy.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 4, 2016 03:09

Something of a cult classic, often sampled right? Though not sure how much input Muddy had.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 4, 2016 03:18

Wry Cooter
Something of a cult classic, often sampled right? Though not sure how much input Muddy had.

On the episode 5 of Martin Scorsese's The Blues (Godfathers and Sons) there's a meeting of Public Enemy's Chuck D with Marshall Chess, and Chuck says how much he loves this album. Personally speaking, I much prefer Muddy's 40's to mid-60's studio recordings.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 08:31

It is overblown. Guitar solo after guitar solo. Not a fan of this album. But it might still be a cult classic.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: December 4, 2016 15:07

Well I hold my breath this morning seeing my nickname in a topic winking smiley

I had always mixed feelings with this album und Muddy`s input. Electric Mud was released as CD as part of the highly recommended Chess Legendary Master Series (1997). This version has an very informative booklet:

Electric Mud was the second release on Marshall Chess` Cadet Concept. The idea was to sell the Blues to the young american audience, bringing in some money for Chess and Muddy , who didn`t sell anything at the time. It was just a concept album, not a try to change Muddy`s style.According to Chess they sold 150.000 - 200.000 copies...very well for a blues album.

I hear the record with mixed feelings. Muddy mixing up with the jazz/avantgard music scene has ups and downs. By the way musicians included on this album are Gene Barge on sax , later with the Stones in 1982 and Pete Cosey on guitar, later with Miles Davis his tours in the seventies.

Tom

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 4, 2016 15:37

Good album. Not his best. I like his version of "Let's Spend The Night Together". Much more potent than the original in my opinion.
LSTNT

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 4, 2016 17:43

WTF were they thinking re the LSTNT cover? It sounds like an attempt to make Muddy Waters sound like Jimi Hendrix in terms of the vocals, guitar tone and backing music.

Date: December 4, 2016 20:05

You see I thought the LSTNT was a great cover, and Tom Cat a great tune. I bought Blue & Lonesome, then I went into blues mode and purchased a BGO twofer of Electric Mud / After The Rain. I also bought Unk in Funk, Muddy Waters In Woodstock, and a new Georgie Fame box set.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:23

.... I still got the 7" single .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 4, 2016 22:58

That is some single, Rockman. Cherish it!

Date: December 4, 2016 22:59

..... I do .... I do ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 5, 2016 04:51

Rockman

.... I still got the 7" single .......

Fattening frogs for snakes....

Date: December 5, 2016 04:52

Fattening Frogs ............Sonny Boy Williamson .....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 5, 2016 09:49

I've moved onto After The Rain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home