Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vancouver 10 years ago!
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 25, 2016 23:05

My last Stones show was 10 years ago today when they played BC Place. I can't believe how fast time flies, seems like it was just a few years ago! Bonnie Raitt was the opener and she came on and sang during Shine A Light. I was on the floor row 17 to the left and I could see Blondie sitting behind the speakers playing guitar during the opening JJF.
3 songs for Keith and Mick was very energetic. I remember during the encore YCAGWYW he seemed to be trying to sing the lyrics faster than the music. Driving back home out in the Fraser Valley it was snowing and several cars/trucks in the ditch. Hopefully they'll be back one last time!

Re: Vancouver 10 years ago!
Posted by: britstones ()
Date: November 25, 2016 23:45

My last show as well, I managed to snag a front row seat for $99 on the far left side and was able to move closer to the centre in front of Ronnie. Followed the band to the B stage for a real up close experience as well. Security was quite relaxed. I loved Rambler, Shine A Light and the unique Keith set. I also remember the Grey Cup making the rounds at the back of the floor before the show.
The original date for this show was going to be a total rock weekend as I had the ticket for the Stones show as well as tickets for the Tragically Hip the next night at the Commodore. Living in east central Alberta I had to book a new flight for the Stones make up date. Two weekends in a month in Vancouver for me, but very worth it for both shows.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 25, 2016 23:46

This was the first Stones (or any other) show I ever traveled any distance to see. Today, one of my Vancouver pals who went to the show with me is very ill awaiting surgery. 10 years from now I hope we are sitting somewhere with a whisky listening to the soundboard and celebrating better times. Such a great show.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 26, 2016 00:07

i was there. the drive home through the blizzard the next day was memorable, too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2016 00:08

Cant comment ... wasn't there ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 26, 2016 04:53

britstones
My last show as well, I managed to snag a front row seat for $99 on the far left side and was able to move closer to the centre in front of Ronnie. Followed the band to the B stage for a real up close experience as well. Security was quite relaxed. I loved Rambler, Shine A Light and the unique Keith set. I also remember the Grey Cup making the rounds at the back of the floor before the show.
The original date for this show was going to be a total rock weekend as I had the ticket for the Stones show as well as tickets for the Tragically Hip the next night at the Commodore. Living in east central Alberta I had to book a new flight for the Stones make up date. Two weekends in a month in Vancouver for me, but very worth it for both shows.

Ha! I also snagged a front row seat close to center for $100. Got zapped by Keith during 'Sympathy'. Great show start to finish.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: November 27, 2016 01:26

I do wish that they would listen to the recording of this show and release it "from the vaults." Because it was fabulous. If memory serves well Ronnie Wood was quoted in an edition of Mojo (or may have been Uncut, not sure) magazine the following year that it was the best show that they have ever played.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 27, 2016 01:59

KingmanBarstow
I do wish that they would listen to the recording of this show and release it "from the vaults." Because it was fabulous. If memory serves well Ronnie Wood was quoted in an edition of Mojo (or may have been Uncut, not sure) magazine the following year that it was the best show that they have ever played.

the performance was great, the sound in the venue was terrible where i was. tricky venue. all depends where you are.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: November 27, 2016 02:23

crholmstrom
KingmanBarstow

the performance was great, the sound in the venue was terrible where i was. tricky venue. all depends where you are.

Correct. Where we were the sound was good (about 25 yard line and up about 20 rows from the floor) right of the stage. Half way through the show I said to my pal that this was something special (as to performance) and he agreed.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 28, 2016 06:59

This show and trip evokes wonderful memories. My then-12 year old daughter and I flew from Billings (Montana) to Vancouver and had a great father-daughter bonding experience. We got a good package deal of a flight and hotel. Little did we know that we would be staying in the same hotel as the band.

The day of the show, my daughter wanted some hair spray so we went down to the hotel shop and got her that. We were told by one of the employees that Charlie Watts had just been in and I nearly put my fist through the glass counter because I had missed him.

I ran into BV after this who told me that he had seen Charlie and that in fact he could see him a distance away in the hotel lobby. I IMMEDIATELY turned and walked over, waited as Charlie finished his conversation with one of Mick's handlers, then said "Hello Charlie", asked if he could sign, the only thing handy was the Amex receipt from the store and he quickly signed it (not really even recognizable) and then turned to leave. He was ready to leave to go somewhere.

I stuck out my hand after he had turned, but he saw it, turned back and shook my hand, then left. I have never washed my right hand since then. The Plexiglass was with me. If only I had had my camera!

(We also saw Chuck and Blondie at the hotel the night before and took some pics of us with Blondie.)

We went to a Shidoobee pre party at a pub across the street from the BC Place where one of the Shidoobeeans face painted Stones tongues on my daughter's face. We had a good time there.

I don't remember a whole lot about the show except that Bonnie Raitt opened and Keith's set consisted of three songs. Just before the move to the B stage for Keith's set, we walked over to the B stage and got a spot along the rail. Some guy was walking inside the railed off area and when he saw my daughter, he came right over to us and gave her two Keith guitar picks. I later convinced her to give me one as a Christmas gift. This guy was apparently one of Keith's people.

After the show, the band had an end of the North American tour party in the hotel. We waited outside the area but finally decided to go to bed and were walking away when a hotel employee ran after us and said "I just got this from Mick Jagger", handing my daughter a Ronnie Wood guitar pick. Why Mick gave her a Ronnie pick I have no idea.

Great trip.

Later at the end of the tour during the last show at the O2, our seats were at the edge of the catwalk and as the band moved out to the B stage, my daughter held up our "Stons" Montana license plate which we had brought with us from the States. The guy who handled Mick's guitars saw this and came over to her and handed her a Mick pick.

My daughter later wrote an essay for school on "What I Would Save if My House Was on Fire" in which she said she would grab her Stones picks before running out the door. This essay later won her an award. She has seen a total of about 15 shows.

Great memories.

Plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 07:06 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: November 28, 2016 16:22

I was there. Good show, Shine a Light with Bonnie Raitt was cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home