Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT?.......The underlying meaning of an album title..........
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 26, 2016 17:04

I guess a lot of people have wondered at the meaning and origin of album names over the years but who knows any for sure............

Here's one.......

famous and revered album in England at least (at the time - 1970s - 80s...........

Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties

Apparently, when Ian was poor bloke in college before he got famous all he could afford were second hand clothes............but, he used to insist on and always buy - new shoes and underpants............so, anymore?

Oh, and of course Some Girls........"because we forgot their $%(^£"^%$ names".......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-26 19:02 by EddieByword.

Re: OT?.......The underlying meaning of an album title..........
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 26, 2016 17:57

EddieByword
...Oh, and of course Some Girls........"because we forgot their $%(^£"^%$ names".......

Story of my life...

Date: November 26, 2016 22:35

I still think the Stones' 2012 greatest hits album Grrr! was named what it was because by now, it's our natural (vocal) reaction to their compilations.

Date: November 26, 2016 22:52

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I still think the Stones' 2012 greatest hits album Grrr! was named what it was because by now, it's our natural (vocal) reaction to their compilations.

grinning smiley ...funny, good one.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 26, 2016 23:03

Between The Buttons:

Andrew (Oldham) told me to do the drawings for the LP and said the title would be between the buttons. I thought he meant the title was Between The Buttons, so it stayed.

- Charlie Watts, 1967

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 26, 2016 23:09

"A Bigger Bang".

So titled because of the band's ongoing interest in cosmology.

(Quite possibly the biggest load of "Sex Pistols" that I've ever heard).

PS. Original typo corrected. Album name mistyped as "A Bigger Bank" - no comment.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 26, 2016 23:37

New Boots and Panties was named after an adult premises in London, which dispensed marital aids and skimpy underwear.

The Sex Pistols album Never Mind etc was so named as John Lydon was of Irish extraction, and the B word is a term for a contemptible person in Irish slang.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 26, 2016 23:52

tomcasagranda

The Sex Pistols album Never Mind etc was so named as John Lydon was of Irish extraction, and the B word is a term for a contemptible person in Irish slang.

...is a word of Middle English origin, meaning "testicles".

Mid 18th century: plural of bollock, variant of earlier ballock, of Germanic origin; related to ball.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 27, 2016 00:09

tomcasagranda
New Boots and Panties was named after an adult premises in London, which dispensed marital aids and skimpy underwear.

I guess you read that somewhere as did I, in his biography, regarding Ian's insistence that he would only wear new boots & underpants whilst he was ok with everything else second hand.

Sure you're not mixing up the location of the album cover which was taken outside Axford's underwear & lingerie shop........

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 01:03 by EddieByword.

Date: November 27, 2016 00:22

Date: November 27, 2016 00:45

Deltics
tomcasagranda

Mid 18th century: plural of bollock, variant of earlier ballock, of Germanic origin; related to ball.

That may be, but in Richard Bransom's autobiography he tells about how they were taken to court for (I think) Obscenity for the album title and the case was going badly, and he was rung up by a distninguished language scholar who happened to be a church minister who offered to give evidence on Bransom's behalf.

(From memory) his account was that the word was the same word as a sort of medieval preacher. Apparently their sermons were considered to be total rubbish and nonsense - so they were talking a load of bollocks. Not testicular related, but preacher related.

Anyway, that's my version of Bransom's story.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 27, 2016 01:03

CaptainCorella
Deltics
tomcasagranda

That may be, but in Richard Bransom's autobiography he tells about how they were taken to court for (I think) Obscenity for the album title and the case was going badly, and he was rung up by a distninguished language scholar who happened to be a church minister who offered to give evidence on Bransom's behalf.

(From memory) his account was that the word was the same word as a sort of medieval preacher. Apparently their sermons were considered to be total rubbish and nonsense - so they were talking a load of bollocks. Not testicular related, but preacher related.

Seems to have been a bit of both. Branson's barrister was John Mortimer of "Rumpole Of The Bailey" fame:
"Mortimer continued by bringing in a Professor Kingsley, head of English Studies at local Nottingham University. Kingsley told the court that the term had been used from the year 1,000 to describe a small ball (or things of a similar shape) and that it has appeared in Medieval Bibles, veterinary books and literature through the ages. He also revealed (not surprisingly) that it also served as part of place names throughout the UK. Eyebrows were raised when Kingsley said that the term had been used to describe the clergy of the previous century."
[dangerousminds.net]

Date: November 27, 2016 01:10

CaptainCorella
Deltics
tomcasagranda

I heard more or less the same story except that in 'my' version the medieval origin was idiot.....so, never mind the idiots......

Funny old language English.......

"That's a load of bollocks" = that's a load of rubbish/nonsense.....
while "that's the dog's bollocks" = something brilliant.....

Though why English people think 'the dog's bollocks' are something great I've got no idea......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 01:10 by EddieByword.

Date: November 27, 2016 01:17

Deltics
CaptainCorella
Deltics
tomcasagranda

Seems to have been a bit of both. Branson's barrister was John Mortimer of "Rumpole Of The Bailey" fame:
"Mortimer continued by bringing in a Professor Kingsley, head of English Studies at local Nottingham University. Kingsley told the court that the term had been used from the year 1,000 to describe a small ball (or things of a similar shape) and that it has appeared in Medieval Bibles, veterinary books and literature through the ages. He also revealed (not surprisingly) that it also served as part of place names throughout the UK. Eyebrows were raised when Kingsley said that the term had been used to describe the clergy of the previous century."
[dangerousminds.net]

Quote from Branson's book (not a meta-proof)..

Professor James Kingsley explained that 'bollocks' was nothing to do with testicles but actually meant 'priests' and then - due to priests' sermons being full of it - 'rubbish'.

and then a few lines later..

Professor Kingsley the played his trump card by folding down his polo neck to reveal a dog collar. Professor Kingsley was also known as Reverend Kingsley

No mention in the source of "dangerous mind's" 1,000 years, or placenames

My quotes from 'Losing my Virginity'.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 27, 2016 01:17

EddieByword

I heard more or less the same story except that in 'my' version the medieval origin was idiot.....so, never mind the idiots......

Though why English people think 'the dog's bollocks' are something great I've got no idea......

:- [www.bbcamerica.com]

Date: November 27, 2016 06:13

Deltics
EddieByword

Cheers Deltics.................yes, very versatile underated word........cool smiley

Date: November 27, 2016 12:23

EddieByword
Deltics
EddieByword

Cheers Deltics.................yes, very versatile underated word........cool smiley

Of course, that explanation could be a load of...... winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 27, 2016 13:00

If anyone wants the title of my never to be released album they can have it:

"Subliminally Yours"

Your welcome

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 27, 2016 14:43

EddieByword

They must be great, at least for the dog - he licks them some forty times a day... (Forty Licks - another album title)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 14:47 by z.

Date: November 27, 2016 15:09

z
EddieByword

They must be great, at least for the dog - he licks them some forty times a day... (Forty Licks - another album title)

Ha, that would have been a great advertising hook.....

the Rolling Stones' Forty Licks.................It's the dog's bollocks........

imagine that on billboards around town ..... a missed opportunity......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 23:09 by EddieByword.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home