Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

STRAY CATS Album Cover
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 13, 2016 08:42

The white invitation that looks like the old Beggars Banquet cover is uninspired and lazy. Seems like after they decided on a cool title for the collection: "Stray Cats", then they just settled on this idea, probably only because "Stray Cat Blues" is on Beggars Banquet,

I've always liked the white Beggars Banquet cover that looks like a banquet invitation ... prefer it over the toilet cover. imo, using the invitation concept doesn't mean anything for Stray Cats, the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-13 09:03 by schillid.

Re: STRAY CATS Album Cover
Posted by: resotele ()
Date: November 13, 2016 11:11

No, it's great. The Stray Cats, not invited to the Beggars Banquet, have to bring their own booze ...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 13, 2016 18:35

schillid

I've always liked the white Beggars Banquet cover that looks like a banquet invitation ... prefer it over the toilet cover.

Yes. Me too.

At this point it's all ancient history, but at the time the toilet cover graffiti's reference to "LBJ" would have quickly dated the album, as Nixon was inaugurated in January '69--only a month after the (delayed) album's release.

Sometimes a little restraint can be helpful. 30-odd years after The Doors first album, the uncensored "Break On Through" was released. The line, "She gets high" was restored. Having heard it for so many years as the clipped, "She GETS-!"it was jarring, I actually liked that version better--not because I was used to it, but because it was so open-ended and in it's own way, mysterious.

And as far as Beggar's Banquet, I just don't think the dirty toilet shot reflects the music inside.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2016 06:43

loog droog
schillid

I've always liked the white Beggars Banquet cover that looks like a banquet invitation ... prefer it over the toilet cover.

Yes. Me too.

At this point it's all ancient history, but at the time the toilet cover graffiti's reference to "LBJ" would have quickly dated the album, as Nixon was inaugurated in January '69--only a month after the (delayed) album's release.

Sometimes a little restraint can be helpful. 30-odd years after The Doors first album, the uncensored "Break On Through" was released. The line, "She gets high" was restored. Having heard it for so many years as the clipped, "She GETS-!"it was jarring, I actually liked that version better--not because I was used to it, but because it was so open-ended and in it's own way, mysterious.

And as far as Beggar's Banquet, I just don't think the dirty toilet shot reflects the music inside.

i agree with everything said. I think the toilet thing seems a bit forced, almost going out of their way to be shocking (for the times anyway). I also like the understatement of the 'invitation' and think that worked well.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 16:20

I love they have gone back to the original as intended by the band cover for Beggars. And then using the forced upon them cover by Decca for the Stray Cats. Nice way to present some history.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 15, 2016 16:29

What picture have they used for the inside of the gate-fold?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home