Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Some Girls Live in Texas trailer
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2011 17:20

Some girls live in a Texas trailer...
Like these two:

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 14, 2011 17:20

OMFG this looks good.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 14, 2011 17:24

I hope they'll release some day the 1975 LA Forum!

That show sucks : imho the best possible thing would be to keep the image and put on it the audio of other Forum shows (July 9 & 13) which were much better gigs.

Heretic I know, but as is the Forum vid would do nothing good for the band's reputation.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: September 14, 2011 21:51

I don't think Jagger would ever sanction the release of LA '75. He sounds terrible.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2011 22:56

Mathijs
24FPS

Paris 76 should be doable, but LA 75 is trickier. We've pretty much agreed that LA 75 is from the internal TV feed at the LA Forum

Sure not. There was no internal TV feed at the time, and the film was shot for the Stones own use and possible release.

Mathijs

I'm only going by a rather recent thread (I can never find old threads) where some one stated that the L.A. Forum had an early version internal video system that was used for the Lakers and Kings for customers to watch in suites and bars in the Forum. I just put my crappy boot on and it certainly doesn't have the look of film. It has the look of videotape. Maybe the Stones videotaped the concert? (Unlikely). Then I popped in the Forth Worth 78 boot and it looks like film. I have never heard of a director claiming to have filmed the Stones at the Forum. The Forum footage doesn't have dots and splices of film, but does have the squiggly lines around people's outlines of unrestored videotape.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 14, 2011 23:19

24FPS
Mathijs
24FPS

Paris 76 should be doable, but LA 75 is trickier. We've pretty much agreed that LA 75 is from the internal TV feed at the LA Forum

Sure not. There was no internal TV feed at the time, and the film was shot for the Stones own use and possible release.

Mathijs

I'm only going by a rather recent thread (I can never find old threads) where some one stated that the L.A. Forum had an early version internal video system that was used for the Lakers and Kings for customers to watch in suites and bars in the Forum. I just put my crappy boot on and it certainly doesn't have the look of film. It has the look of videotape. Maybe the Stones videotaped the concert? (Unlikely). Then I popped in the Forth Worth 78 boot and it looks like film. I have never heard of a director claiming to have filmed the Stones at the Forum. The Forum footage doesn't have dots and splices of film, but does have the squiggly lines around people's outlines of unrestored videotape.

The Ft Worth footage is something like a third generation copy -film was copied to tape, and this tape was copied a few times. The same goes for LA 75, only what we have is something like 8th or 10th generation.

After watching the trailer for Ft Worth I noticed that what we had for years is just raw footage of some camera's combined, and I reckon the same is true for the LA footage. Both shows, as we have it, feature strange shots of roofs, backside of stage, or just plain darkness.

But, both the LA and Ft Worth shows where filmed for eventual release, as was Knebworth by the way. But, especially Jagger never seemed to be much interested after the tour was over.

Concerning internal TV feed -I am not sure about the mid-70's, but since the early 80's many stadiums have this facility, but it always is requiered to be switched off when the Stones (and any other band for that matter) due to copy and publishing rights.

Mathijs

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: September 14, 2011 23:34

I cant wait for this release from one of their best tours!!

Bo hot smiley

Date: September 14, 2011 23:50

Concerning internal TV feed -I am not sure about the mid-70's, but since the early 80's many stadiums have this facility, but it always is requiered to be switched off when the Stones (and any other band for that matter) due to copy and publishing rights.

Mathijs[/quote]

That may not always be the case. Springsteen opened the Staples Center in L.A. in 1999. A little ways into the concert he harangued the people up in the luxury suites to come outside to the concert. It seems they were just sitting inside the suites, partying and watching the concert on the TVs provided for every suite. I have been in one of those suites for a basketball game, but not for a concert. Perhaps someone who has can shed some light on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-14 23:50 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: September 14, 2011 23:58

Mathijs

I haven't viewed the LA '75 in detail, but Houston '81 is definitely from a closed circuit TV source. Probably a lot of those other '81 boots are as well. There's no way they went to the expense of filming most of those shows.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 15, 2011 07:13

The issue with all the stuff the band recorded on video is that it probably isn't in a good enough image resolution to allow a DVD or Blu-ray release...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: September 15, 2011 11:07

IAW Mathijs. At first I was not THAT excited; while - yes of course it was good news, this new release. But I thought "well we have great copies already; won't be that much of an upgrade". But what is seen in trailer is awesome! Makes me re-consider all this notion about the Stones having filmed many perforamnces in last 30 years. The video and sound is with way more impact. You get subtleties in expressions.
The editing also looks strong.

Date: September 15, 2011 11:25

Doc
The issue with all the stuff the band recorded on video is that it probably isn't in a good enough image resolution to allow a DVD or Blu-ray release...

That didn't stop them from releasing L&G!

Mathijs

Date: September 15, 2011 11:26

Sipuncula
Mathijs

I haven't viewed the LA '75 in detail, but Houston '81 is definitely from a closed circuit TV source. Probably a lot of those other '81 boots are as well. There's no way they went to the expense of filming most of those shows.

Houston, Seattle, and Wembley 82 are the vid image from the screens, which the Stones used for some big stadiums. You can hear Jagger saying after some tracks 'put the tv on'.

Mathijs

Date: September 15, 2011 11:29

24FPS

Mathijs

That may not always be the case. Springsteen opened the Staples Center in L.A. in 1999. A little ways into the concert he harangued the people up in the luxury suites to come outside to the concert. It seems they were just sitting inside the suites, partying and watching the concert on the TVs provided for every suite. I have been in one of those suites for a basketball game, but not for a concert. Perhaps someone who has can shed some light on that.[/quote]

I've been in the VIP section when the Stones where playing the A'dam Arena. The people there didn't have any interest in the Stones at all, and where only drinking, eating (some very good food, I might say) and talking. The TV screens where showing teletext messages. The only way to see and hear the Stones was to go out on the balcony.

If memory serves they used screens in Vegas in 2002 or something. You could buy $2000 tickets to be on the balcony front row to see the Stones, but if you where second or third row you couldn't see the Stones and had to watch them on TV.

Mathijs

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 15, 2011 11:46

ryanpow
OMFG this looks good.

YES. That was my reaction too. I mean, this is HQ stuff.

Date: September 15, 2011 11:49

Father Ted
mrfancyman
And next year the special Tattoo You box with upgraded Hampton 1981 as supporting DVD/CD release.
Well, it looks as if there comes no end in this dream.

Mr. Fancyman

Now you're talking...and then a remastered LA 1975 and Paris 76.

I want 1973, 1975, 1976 (maybe a combined Aux l A, Knewbworth and some footage weve never seen+of course the docu with them backstage).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 15, 2011 12:54

This is something we - or at least some of us - have been waiting years to come true. And if the trailor is something to to indicate, it is way better than what we were expecting. This also indicates that there possibly are things in the archives that goes beyond our secret expectations.

Yeah, I am thrilled! It has been great to be a Stones fan during the last couple of years.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 15, 2011 17:53

Mathijs
Doc

That didn't stop them from releasing L&G!

Mathijs

Mathijs,

L&G was filmed, not recorded on videotape
The quality of the filming is one thing, but resolution of a 16mm film is way better than the one on a video recording made in the 70ies, 80ies 90ies and even early 00ies.

That's why I don't think we'll have a great version of Atlantic City, or any new Voodoo/Bridges concert released.

Date: September 15, 2011 20:44

Videotape can be absolutely brilliant if you've got a good master and good restoration. All the Ed Sullivan stuff is videotape. I recently saw the very first videotape presentation on American broadcast television, a 1958 variety special with Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. The images were so sharp they nearly popped off the screen.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 15, 2011 21:23

24FPS
Mathijs
24FPS

Mathijs

Not to blow my own horn, but that may have been me. Jack Kent Cook, who owned the Forum, Lakers, and Kings at that time, was a pioneer in early cable television.
The Forum was equipped with what was called closed-circuit TV. They used to do that a lot back then for boxing matches and such. Regarding the Forum show, I'm sure the band were informed about the technology the Forum had and asked that one of the shows be taped for their archive. It was not broadcast. In fact, I've never seen any footage of any other band at the Forum using this technology. It's possible it was shown, live, at the Forum Club inside the arena. It wasn't a luxury box but a massive bar and restaurant. I think it held close to 2,000.
I have (had) a friend that used to work for the Forum. I'll try to track him down and get more info.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 15, 2011 21:43

Beyond the technology and the image quality, most of the footage I've seen from the Forum in '75 doesn't look that good because the cameras hardly ever get in close enough in to get a good view of the band.

When you see a shot of Mick (which is most of the time ) the cameraman very carefully stays wide, in order to keep Mick in frame when he suddenly moves.

There are practically no close-ups, and hardly any medium (waist up) shots of anyone. It's kind of frustrating to watch.

It's a historical document from which a few short clips might be used to illustrate Wood's first tour, but not up to par for commercial release.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 15, 2011 21:48

loog droog
Beyond the technology and the image quality, most of the footage I've seen from the Forum in '75 doesn't look that good because the cameras hardly ever get in close enough in to get a good view of the band.

When you see a shot of Mick (which is most of the time ) the cameraman very carefully stays wide, in order to keep Mick in frame when he suddenly moves.

There are practically no close-ups, and hardly any medium (waist up) shots of anyone. It's kind of frustrating to watch.

It's a historical document from which a few short clips might be used to illustrate Wood's first tour, but not up to par for commercial release.

You can also see those big, clunky video cameras from time to time being dragged across the stage.

Date: September 15, 2011 21:48

Doxa
This is something we - or at least some of us - have been waiting years to come true. And if the trailor is something to to indicate, it is way better than what we were expecting. This also indicates that there possibly are things in the archives that goes beyond our secret expectations.

Yeah, I am thrilled! It has been great to be a Stones fan during the last couple of years.

- Doxa

What if, and I know its not likely, but what if the holy grail was filmed? El Mocambo 1977.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 15, 2011 22:36

smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 19:50 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2011 22:51

Redhotcarpet
Doxa

- Doxa

What if, and I know its not likely, but what if the holy grail was filmed? El Mocambo 1977.

I dont think it was. Absolutely tiny club (how many were there? 400 or so?) and I'm sure having a mobile recording unit recording the shows for a live album wouldnt have made it any easier for a video crew. Cant imagine them putting in a few cameras as well. I've certainly never HEARD anything to suggest it was filmed.

Date: September 15, 2011 23:27

Gazza
Redhotcarpet
Doxa

- Doxa

I dont think it was. Absolutely tiny club (how many were there? 400 or so?) and I'm sure having a mobile recording unit recording the shows for a live album wouldnt have made it any easier for a video crew. Cant imagine them putting in a few cameras as well. I've certainly never HEARD anything to suggest it was filmed.

And, judging on the limited amount of pictures, there simply wasn't a camera in the room.

Mathijs

Date: September 15, 2011 23:30

loog droog

It's just something that is in my mind since the '78 trailer is available, but it seems that what we have from the '75 LA show is just a compilation of 2 or 3 camera's, and 10th generation or so. In the vault most probably is a pro-shot 12 camera film of the gig -just as the Fort Worth '78 show, it seems.

Mathijs

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 16, 2011 00:24

Mathijs
Gazza
Redhotcarpet
Doxa

- Doxa

And, judging on the limited amount of pictures, there simply wasn't a camera in the room.
Mathijs

I think they had enough problems getting the show on and recording some useable songs. In those days and considering the state Keith was in I doubt there was much interest in filming. Unfortunally . . !

Date: September 16, 2011 00:42

Incredible. Thanks Doc - can't wait for the release. And I thought the '78 tour was tame. Wrong!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 16, 2011 00:50

Footage looks ace! thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home