Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Middle Sea" Outtake/Voodoo Lounge -- what could have been
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 11, 2011 01:32

Redhotcarpet
Justin
Mick on Voodoo Lounge (as quoted from the Jagger Remembers article):

WENNER:
You told me when you started to make the record that you were going to spend a lot of time on this one, making as good a record as you could possibly make, making sure you’ve got the songs written in advance. You hired a producer, which you hadn’t done for a long time. Do you feel that you’ve met that expectation?

JAGGER:
Not completely. But may be we should list the positive things rather than the negative. I think there is a really good feeling of the band on it – that the band is playing very much as a band, even though it’s got one new member [bassist Darryl Jones]. There’s a good variety of songs. It’s not overelaborate. You get a feeling of really being there, and it’s quite intimate in nature. The ballads are rather nice, and then the rock & roll numbers kick quite well and sound enthusiastic – like we’re into it. I think it’s a good frame of reference of what the Rolling Stones were about during that quite limited time in Ireland in that year.It’s very much a kind of time-and-place album. In that way I was quite pleased with the results. But there were a lot of things that we wrote for “Voodoo Lounge” that Don [Was, the record’s producer] steered us away from: groove songs, African influences and things like that. And he steered us very clear of all that. And I think it was a mistake.

When I hear outtakes like "Middle Sea"...(which is one of my favorite outtakes) it's easy to hear the African influence that Mick is suggesting. Had this been included on Voodoo Lounge...along with other more grounded grooves...could this album been much more than it was? I think if Mick went with his instincts and not listen to Don Was...and added 1 or 2 of Keith's solo acoustic performances...Cocaine probably being the obvious choice..we could've gotten quite the eclectic album.

In one of the Voodoo Brew outtakes you can hear Mick answer to the question "How many songs do you have?" with "Oh loads! Box set loads!" Could VL have been a double album? We have a whole disc of instrumentals--no vocals recorded...songs from "Alright Charlie" to a bunch of Untitled ones. Was Voodoo Lounge going to be bigger than it was?

With a deletion of a couple clunkers on the album and the inclusion of this outtake plus a few other songs...I think we could've gotten-- dare I say it...a possible late-career masterpiece?

Rubin probably saved that record from more embarrassments. It could not have been a double album, IMO. Love is strong is really the only "real" and "new" song. Maybe Rubin went thru the vaults and suggested a remake of Wicked as it seems combined with Gold painted nails.

I dont know why I wrote Rubin. I meant Was. Don Was, not Rick Rubin.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 11, 2011 03:14

winter
Great general comments on the VL era, all.

Listening to the track Middle Sea (albeit only once and while doing other things). it seems disjointed and arhythmic like it was spliced together badly. I'll have to listen to it again. It does seem silly to have an album called Voodoo Lounge and to have pushed away songs with an African/carribean/groove feel, doesn't it?

Unfortunately winter, on this video there are errors in the track...it stutters and trips over itself a few times throughout the song which makes it sound like a cheap track they spliced together. The copy I have on my Outtakes disc is perfect. Funny enough, I was thinking about this track a week and a half ago and it was nowhere on YouTube. No one had uploaded. I was real close to uploading mine when I found that someone had just uploaded it up there. Shame they had a crappy copy of it.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 11, 2011 03:26

Redhotcarpet
I dont know why I wrote Rubin. I meant Was. Don Was, not Rick Rubin.

Ha ha! No worries! It's such a strange mistake! Perhaps you were just typing what you wished would've happened!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 11, 2011 03:39

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Maybe that's why Don Was is pushing to release some outtakes next year. Something that was also planned for 1999. It'll happen at some point.

Even better is to take this idea and finally DEVELOP it. I think The Stones were always intrigued by Brian's idea to take them into more African / world rhythms, but of course he was too far gone to put that into action. LOTS of potential here, of course, and a good model to follow would be Fela. With Jagger jazzed with SuperHeavy, and INSPIRED lyrics ala "Beggars Banquet", The Rolling Stones could really go out with a bigger bang. It IS possible.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 11, 2011 15:26

I like VL but I agree it could have been better. The band was playing really well and they had some great songs. I wish Middle of the Sea and The Storm were on it. New Faces and Sparks Will Fly could have been left off.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 11, 2011 16:18

TheDailyBuzzherd
Even better is to take this idea and finally DEVELOP it. I think The Stones were always intrigued by Brian's idea to take them into more African / world rhythms, but of course he was too far gone to put that into action. LOTS of potential here, of course, and a good model to follow would be Fela. With Jagger jazzed with SuperHeavy, and INSPIRED lyrics ala "Beggars Banquet", The Rolling Stones could really go out with a bigger bang. It IS possible.

I just hope that once they decide to record a new album, they let the idea go that they have to deliver something that the world supposedly expects from them -a "typical Stones album" - some fast rockers, some medium tempo rockers, a funky tune, a blues, a soulish ballad plus one or two country-ish ballads - one by Keith, one by Mick. That's the usual pattern since many decades, and I am afraid it has worn out.

Date: September 11, 2011 21:47

slew
I like VL but I agree it could have been better. The band was playing really well and they had some great songs. I wish Middle of the Sea and The Storm were on it. New Faces and Sparks Will Fly could have been left off.

Ah yes! The Storm...nice call! Forgot that one. Another song that would've pulled them in a different direction.

Love is Strong
The Storm
Honest Man
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Middle Sea
I Go Wild
I'm Gonna Drive
You Got Me Rocking
Ivy League
Moon Is Up
Brand New Car
I'm Gonna Drive
Suck On The Jugular
Jump On Top of Me
Cocaine Blues
Mean Disposition
Thru and Thru

19 songs. Can you imagine if they had done this? Talk about making a statement. The mix of rootsy blues (The Storm) with the large scale rockers (You Got Me Rocking) would have been a very challenging album to lay on fans and critics in 1994.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: September 11, 2011 22:38

Everything is Turning to Gold part 2?

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 11, 2011 23:00

Nice list. The exclusion of "Honest Man" from VL is still mind boggling. I'd offer "Make It Now" and "Zip Mouth Angel" as well as "Jump On Top of Me Baby" to your tracklist replacing your second "Moon Is Up," "Juglar" and "Brand New Car."

Justin
slew

Ah yes! The Storm...nice call! Forgot that one. Another song that would've pulled them in a different direction.

Love is Strong
The Storm
Honest Man
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Middle Sea
I Go Wild
I'm Gonna Drive
You Got Me Rocking
Ivy League
Moon Is Up
Brand New Car
I'm Gonna Drive
Suck On The Jugular
Jump On Top of Me
Cocaine Blues
Mean Disposition
Thru and Thru

19 songs. Can you imagine if they had done this? Talk about making a statement. The mix of rootsy blues (The Storm) with the large scale rockers (You Got Me Rocking) would have been a very challenging album to lay on fans and critics in 1994.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 12, 2011 00:41

Wow, Middle Sea sounds great. How could you leave that off? Same question for The Storm. IMO, The Storm was the best thing they did during those sessions. Chris Kimsey might've been a better choice...

Date: September 12, 2011 01:21

big4
Nice list. The exclusion of "Honest Man" from VL is still mind boggling. I'd offer "Make It Now" and "Zip Mouth Angel" as well as "Jump On Top of Me Baby" to your tracklist replacing your second "Moon Is Up," "Juglar" and "Brand New Car."

Justin
slew

Love is Strong
The Storm
Honest Man
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Middle Sea
I Go Wild
I'm Gonna Drive
You Got Me Rocking
Ivy League
Moon Is Up
Brand New Car
I'm Gonna Drive
Suck On The Jugular
Jump On Top of Me
Cocaine Blues
Mean Disposition
Thru and Thru

I would add "out of Tears" to the keepers. IMO one of the good sappy ballads.
VL has more winners left OFF than ON. Love the lists here; could have been a great album. It looks as if Don Was is partly at fault.

Date: September 12, 2011 01:37

big4

Good call!

"Moon Is Up" and "Jugular" are just personal favorites of mine....the second being probably the hardest for many here to swallow! I included it until someone said something or until we had a better song we could replace them with! I'll gladly replace Jugular for Zip Mouth Angel...obviously a stronger/fresher song. "Brand New Car" I think is a clever and fun song. I have to also include "You Got It Made"...

Love is Strong
The Storm
Honest Man
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Middle Sea
I Go Wild
You Got It Made
I'm Gonna Drive
You Got Me Rocking
Ivy League
Moon Is Up
Brand New Car
I'm Gonna Drive
Suck On The Jugular Zip Mouth Angel
Jump On Top of Me
Cocaine Blues
Mean Disposition
Thru and Thru

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 01:43 by Justin.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home