Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question for older fans
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 21:04

was wondering if any stones fans were as disapointed with setlists for mid 70,s concerts and early 80,s as i am with the setlists that u2 produce.

i would love to see u2 with a setlist that only includes the music from 1980-84 but that wont happen and was wondering if anyone went to concerts in the past thinking theyre going to get stuff like paint it black, the last time, 19th nervous breakdown, lady jane, have you seen your mother baby, lets spend the night together, ruby tuesday and generally all the well known songs from the era that defined them but instead got hot stuff, hand of fate, fingerprint file, star star, miss you, shattered, shes so cold, start me up, black limo, neighbours, waiting on a friend, basically songs that were released well after the band became successful.

Re: question for older fans
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 7, 2016 21:38

Yes, I recall people started an online petition after the ´75 tour. Page views exploded as people demanded warhorses instead of fresh material.

Date: August 7, 2016 21:58

DeanGoodman
Yes, I recall people started an online petition after the ´75 tour. Page views exploded as people demanded warhorses instead of fresh material.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 22:56

First Stones concert was Earls Court 1976..... I was 17 years old.......

Never really disappointed with setlists, more over excited at seeing the Stones (or anyone) play live.

Its the same with most of the bands I have seen in my life time, I don't think I have ever been really disappointed......

However at that first Stones concert I did have too much to drink, and I wish I hadn't, cause I don't remember much about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself!.....

Apparently!smoking smiley

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 8, 2016 09:11

My first gig was in '81. Got say I enjoyed hearing the oldies, but also I was eager to hear anything from Tattoo You. Same on the Steel Wheels Tour. After that I started noticing the "war horses". On the subject of U2 I too am always looking forward to songs from the early years. Still missing An Cat Dubh. They didn't do that here in Europe.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: August 8, 2016 09:34

DeanGoodman

Online petition after the '75 tour, smoking smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 8, 2016 10:05

Seeing them in1976 I was actually disappointed because they did not play any oldies except for 'Get off of my cloud'. I had become acquainted with the Stones by the 'Big Hits' Album so I would have liked to hear those songs. Later on, it was very hard to find live versions of the oldies (e.g. the Ed Sullivan Show recordings) on bootleg. However, the Stones were so legendary then that you were happy to see them at all (although Jagger's singing was at times horrible).

It was sensational when they played some oldies at Knebworth. But of course I was not there but only learned it from articles.

Therefore I was really happy when they played gems like 'Time is on my side', 'Let it bleed' of 'Satisfaction' (which was not a warhorse back then because they had not played it on previous tours) in 1982.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2016 10:10

The 81/82 tour, even though considered a greatest hits tour, only had about a third warhorses. And the warhorses were "only" 10-15 years old by then. They played 6 songs from their new album, Tattoo You, for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 10:13 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 8, 2016 10:12

Don't think anyone was disapointed. You didn't know what songs to expect.
But the setlist was for sure more static at that time.

After that internet came you can follow every show and compare the songs from show to show.
And most of the whiners seem to be them that are not attending the shows but sitting home and compare the setlists.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 8, 2016 12:39

My 1st two tours were 1978 and 1981. Back then the warhorses had not become stale and predictable and it was a thrill for me to hear brand new songs and unexpected gems. I never expected to get Love In Vain or Let It Rock in 1978 and was delighted to hear them. Similarly, 1981 was full of tunes I wasn't expecting; Under My Thumb, Let's Spend The Night Together, Let It Bleed, Time Is On My Side...In those days a Stones show was still full of surprises! I miss those days.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 13:15 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 8, 2016 13:45

DeanGoodman

You can't even imagine the outrage on this forum during 1969 tour, which wasn't even called IORR yet, but Yesterday's Papers, because the internet was sooo slow back in the days spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 8, 2016 13:45

I think we all miss those days. On the flip side I believe The Stones stick to a routine because they don't want to upset any first time concert attendees, as I was back in '81. And yes I agree the internet has deflated the whole set list situation. I remember being blown away by songs like Time Is On My Side. Then in 2012 I was lucky enough to catch Lady Jane. If you go to enough shows you will or would have got to experience many different songs played live. Though I've moaned about the set lists myself overall I'm a happy camper with probably around 100 songs. A guess, I never added them up.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 8, 2016 14:33

My first concert was The Hague, 1976. never been disappointed. Its just great to see my favourite band live. When i want to hear the obscure songs, ilisten to my record collection. Especially nowadays, i am just HAPPY to get a chance to see them. Hoping for an European Tour in 2017.
Jeroen

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 8, 2016 14:43

DeanGoodman

Behind the joke you point out a real problem : in the 70's just seeing the Stones was enough. Nowadays ppl go to shows like they go to a restaurant : they're customers so they want this that...

They'll complain about just everything and they'll rank the show and they were Yelp members.

Hey rock show customers : F#CK YOU! smoking smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 8, 2016 14:59

buttons67
was wondering if any stones fans were as disapointed with setlists for mid 70,s concerts and early 80,s as i am with the setlists that u2 produce.

i would love to see u2 with a setlist that only includes the music from 1980-84 but that wont happen and was wondering if anyone went to concerts in the past thinking theyre going to get stuff like paint it black, the last time, 19th nervous breakdown, lady jane, have you seen your mother baby, lets spend the night together, ruby tuesday and generally all the well known songs from the era that defined them but instead got hot stuff, hand of fate, fingerprint file, star star, miss you, shattered, shes so cold, start me up, black limo, neighbours, waiting on a friend, basically songs that were released well after the band became successful.

They, the Stones, DO play almost only very old songs. In 2007 the average release year of the songs in the regular setlist was 1974! That date won't be later today, although they play "new" songs like You Got Me Rocking, Out Of Control or Can't Be Seen.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 8, 2016 15:02

Naw,I was very happy with the setlists on the 72 & 75 & 78 tours,of course I only saw them 1 time each tour(well 2 in 78).I never thought of complaining bout the setlist's till I started seeing multiple gigs(mostly Licks & Bcool smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 8, 2016 15:08

Great question. First saw them in '81. My heart wanted a dangerous '72 or coked out '75 but instead I got the polite '81 show…nothing special for my first go around and I was disappointed. Buffalo 2015 was the best of the dozen or so I've seen, everything came together!!

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 8, 2016 17:05

After seeing a handful of US shows in 72, 75 and 78, the first one that struck me was the heavy focus on Some Girls in 78. That was a bit disconcerting, especially since the album was only released the week before the tour kicked off and the only song everyone knew was Miss You.

In 1981 I went to 14 show. Although the first few concerts, especially JFK in Philly, were loaded with surprises, I remember being quite disappointed that the last 7 shows I saw (Syracuse, DC and Hampton) all had the exact same set list. Plus they stayed away completely from songs I wanted like SFTD, GS, SFM and MR (likewise in 78). Now many consider them to be overplayed warhorses.

HBK

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 8, 2016 17:11

buttons67

I'm out of breath reading that sentence smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home