Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Somme 100
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 22:03

Tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the first day of the Somme. I know a lot of British, Commonwealth and French families will be reflecting upon the battle.

My great great grandmother lost 2 sons during the Welsh attack on Mametz wood, her other son my great grandfather lost his leg in the attack.

Re: OT: Somme 100
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 1, 2016 00:00

and the bad news is that sleepwalking in politics is coming into style again

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 1, 2016 08:28

Just saw a news article on the 100th anniversary on CTV news in Canada. I want to pay special tribute to the 1000 Canadian soldiers who lost their lives in the battle and are buried over seas!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 1, 2016 09:50

as a Frenchman, I also wanna pay tribute to all these young men from everywhere in the world who died to stop this horrible war.
I don't know their names but they were American, English, Canadian, African, Australian....
in France, we will never forget their memories.
Thanks to you all.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 10:01 by jpasc95.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 1, 2016 16:52

jpasc95
as a Frenchman, I also wanna pay tribute to all these young men from everywhere in the world who died to stop this horrible war.
I don't know their names but they were American, English, Canadian, African, Australian....
Thanks to you all.

Frenchman +1, but I will write the list a little longer

African from French colonies, American, Australian, British, Canadian, and of course German..

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 1, 2016 20:16

May they rest in peace. Of all the wars the First World War may have been the worst and most meaningless of them all. Still to this day it's difficult to understand the reasons for the war.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2016 20:22

jpasc95
Thanks to you all.

thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 2, 2016 20:01

You've been Reading this book?:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Great Reading to really understand what happens out there hundred years ago...

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-02 20:02 by Come On.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2016 23:28

I've read a couple of books on The Great War, and it's still murky. And saddest yet it's only a rehearsal for World War II. My grand uncle, American, was gassed in the Argonne Forest in fall of '18. He survived the war but succumbed to problems related to his gassing in May of '20. I'm surprised the great American documentarian Ken Burns did nothing to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the war, 1914.

Date: July 3, 2016 08:44

Ah ...first and second world wars....great times when all nations involved were sovereing and independent unlike nowadays ..when the EU is choking citizens (the People) with politicians who live in their bureucratic clouds...far away from the people on the street...hurrah for brexit!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 3, 2016 09:42

A stupid post, Mr Barbecue.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 3, 2016 10:01

slewan

Hijacking the dead of 1916 for an anti-Brexit agenda is bad in my book... unless you believe the "UE = peace" lie.

And if by "sleepwalking" you refer to Christopher Clark's "The Sleepwalkers" please be informed it's a very poor book, laughed at by most serious WWI historians.
Ahhhaaah the natural savagery of Serbian people as the cause of WWI... smoking smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 3, 2016 10:31

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

If someone did not post this story already, it's insightful.

Rest In Peace To All Of These Fallen Heroes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-03 10:32 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 3, 2016 10:58

dcba
slewan

Hijacking the dead of 1916 for an anti-Brexit agenda is bad in my book... unless you believe the "UE = peace" lie.

And if by "sleepwalking" you refer to Christopher Clark's "The Sleepwalkers" please be informed it's a very poor book, laughed at by most serious WWI historians.
Ahhhaaah the natural savagery of Serbian people as the cause of WWI... smoking smiley

well, I've read Clark's book. Although I don't buy the way he somehow whitewashes the German side (although I'm German myself), I think he has a good point in pointing out that a lot of those people who were in power didn't reflect on the consequences of their behavior and their decisions. For example: The Germans promised to back Austria-Hungary whatever they'll do, while Britain (just for example) never pointed out very clearly (i.e. clear enough that even the Germans were able to get the message) that any German attack on France or Belgium was going to result in an European war etc etc. And the Germans had no idea how to end the war after they had begun it. And what's even more: The somehow didn't really know what they were fighting for (in the mid of the war they started what is called a "Kriegszieldebatte", i.e. a public debate about what results of the war they wanted to achieve). They had neither a plan A nor a plan B…
… and that somehow reminds me of today's British politics. But I hope the results won't be that fatal.
And, yes, in WW I the British knew that they could not and should not turn away from the continent

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-03 19:55 by slewan.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2016 19:13

Never forget.

Rest in peace to all those young souls who died so needlessly.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 3, 2016 23:52

Big Al
Never forget.

Rest in peace to all those young souls who died so needlessly.

Agree 100%

Respect for all those soldiers.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 4, 2016 01:50

24FPS
I'm surprised the great American documentarian Ken Burns did nothing to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the war, 1914.

Possibly because the US only entered the war in 1917, just a guess. (Just as WWII in the US was 1942-5, but 1939-45 in Europe.)

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: July 4, 2016 04:22

Does anyone know which, if any, of the Stones' grandpas fought at the Somme? The only one I know much about is Gus Dupree, and while he was at Passchendaele, I've never read definitively that he was at the Somme.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home