Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Monthly Magazine
Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: June 16, 2016 01:58

I have copies 6 to 30. Would love to obtain 1 to 5 to complete set.
Anyone know value of these 60's magazines.

Re: Rolling Stones Monthly Magazine
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 16, 2016 09:08

I have 2-30, they are a look into a more 'pop' time for the group. I have magazine articles also , Pop is where it's at!
Favourite colour, etc .......

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 16, 2016 17:30

I have a complete set of these. smiling smiley Don't know what they're worth, though, as I've never considered selling them. They're not exactly mint, given the number of times my teenage self read them!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 16, 2016 18:57

I bought the whole set 15 years ago for £750

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 17, 2016 00:54

It's a HUGE disappointment that these have not been re-issued. Since there are only 30 of them, it would be pretty uncomplicated to reprint them in a replica book. I'd not expect a mammoth sale, but I'm certain that the sales would be respectable.

I'm told that it has not happened because the copyright holder (Sean o'Mahoney/Beat Publications) have not been interested.

The whole thing is tied up with the equivalent 'The Beatles Monthly Book' produced by the same organisation. Whilst The Stones' book has only 30 editions, The Beatles' one (first time round) had 72 regular issues and a handful of specials. Reprinting those would be a more complicated of course.

The Beatles Monthly Book temporarily closed down in the early 70s, but then revived, first of all to simply re-print the originals, but then as a launching pad for Record Collector magazine - which in turn grew more than a little! The Beatles Monthly Book finally shut up in January 2003 with issue 321.

A few years back I spent a couple of days sweating over my scanner (etc) and managed (by chopping and changing settings depending upon the page contents) to produce a "replica" of Issue 1 of The Rolling Stones magazine, in .pdf format that was pre-indexed by word. The result was more than acceptable. And it was searchable, which is nice.

I showed it to a tiny number of people, and one influential person urged me strongly to got for it and do the remaining 29 issues.

In the end I chickened out because I'm a wimp! Although I was only a bit worried about Sean O'Mahoney chasing me for Copyright in The Stones' version if that was all that there was, I was certain that he'd pull no (legal) punches over The Stones one because of the precedent it may set with regards to The Beatles.

Sad, but there you have it. Technically both The Stones and The Beatles Monthly Books could easily be re-produced and made available widely in electronic form, but as the Copyright holder isn't interested it appears that it's not going to happen.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2016 01:06

There's also a prior edition to the no. 1. I wonder if it's part of that collection or not.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 17, 2016 01:22

This won't help most of us but the magazines will presumably enter the public domain if the 70 years following the death of the author (? Sean) is applicable in this case.
Patience then.
Of course the Internet might be one avenue, in time?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 17, 2016 01:25

Cristiano Radtke
There's also a prior edition to the no. 1. I wonder if it's part of that collection or not.

Assuming you mean a prior edition to the No 1 of The Stones monthly, then I'd never heard of that....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2016 01:27

CaptainCorella
Cristiano Radtke

Assuming you mean a prior edition to the No 1 of The Stones monthly, then I'd never heard of that....

This one:

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 17, 2016 01:33

I've got all 30 & the pre no.1 issue....spent years looking for them & then ebay happened...got mine back in 01,in mint shape....i'd guess today they might be worth $1000us....

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: June 19, 2016 11:53

Talking of Record Collector magazine, I have the first hundred or so issues including #1 onwards in binders. They will be sold within the next year, so if anyone's interested please get in touch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home