Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Steve Earle talks of his Stones influences
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 7, 2016 01:21

I've seen him live with The Dukes and also solo. Some legendary shows along the way.
so this prelude is about how Steve, even with his magnificent own catalog, almost always did a Stones cover every time I've seen him. He goes deep with them in his way. I didn't hear the Colvin Earle duo touring thing so I don't have an opinion on any of that.(Their "Ruby Tuesday cover band version) But if Buddy and a rhythm section is there, it could be glorious, as it was when Buddy toured as a Duke for an album. To me, Buddy Miller is one of the most great and diverse guitarists in the world.

I've taken out the political stuff he went into in this interview just because I don't want it to turn political here. He's doing interviews and promoting the upcoming release a bit...but he's always dead on honest and observant...
...an interesting personal perspective of his continuing fascination with the band. The interview was done by Scott Timberg for Salon media thing...as for credit.
I will say his live Stones covers (one on "Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator" a live Canadian release that made the states to some small extent...don't know about Europe or Scandinavia) are deeply great. His original Dukes were full of the best guitarists you could imagine, and a great drummer/bass player.

I learned to play “Mother’s Little Helper,” but I wasn’t even close to playing it correctly.

Look, I love the Stones, but my favorite stuff is this stuff from this period when they’re competing with the Beatles and they know it and they’re writing great, great songs. The riff-rock period is cool and I love that stuff, but keep in mind that the moment in history when the Rolling Stones become the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band in the world, is the moment that the Beatles break up. That’s my favorite stuff still, and I learned to play some of that “Flowers” album. It’s got “Ruby Tuesday,” “Have You Seen Your Mother,” it’s got “Sittin’ on a Fence,” which was only released here, and it’s got “Lady Jane,” it’s got tons of just great acoustic guitar stuff, but the chords structures are all a little counterintuitive, on purpose, because they’re competing with the Beatles and they know it."

Re: Steve Earle talks of his Stones influences
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2016 01:37

Steve and The Supersuckers do a cover of Before They Make Me Run ....

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: June 7, 2016 01:59

wow Rocky that was Great, all thanks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2016 02:18

Gettin' a bit offa the track here but Steve does
a blistering cover of Nivana's Breed .... worth a check if it's your kinda buzzzzz

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: June 7, 2016 02:42

whoa. thanks again! saw them do that live as an encore and the place literally shook with absolutely crazed dancing and delight. That whole rattling of the walls thing. The entire building shook I swear. It was pandenomia (sp?) the last thing anybody expected. I'm pretty sure a Stones song was in the mix that night. I remember him covering Beatles "No Reply" too. He slowed it real down and let it stew. He has his own way with this stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

This is extraordinary. The song starts about 45 seconds into it.
Is there a better version of this by anyone other than the originators.
Are these guitars not among the very best ever, including that steel.
Actually if it was a desert island situation. This is the version of DF I'd take.
He made it his own. This is stunning. I can draw a line with this. If people don't get it, I don't know what they're looking for or expecting from true greatness. When the whold band kicks, in, watch out. You've been warned. It soars and stings and is perfect, and all in one go live.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 7, 2016 06:06

Steve Earle kicks ass! Saw him (and met him after show) a few years ago, he did a live show and did every song from the Lonesome Highway album, and of course all his classics!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 7, 2016 07:08

Dead Flowers by Steve Earle:

Video: [www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

++++++++++++++

A friend of mine turned me on to Steve Earle. This alum has a lot of great music.

Anyone who can string together outcast clichés and make them as fresh and exciting as the songs that adorn Ain't Ever Satisfied has earned esteem. The anthology is really 1993's Essential Steve Earle plus 15 additional tracks, including live covers of "State Trooper," "Dead Flowers," and "She's About a Mover." The earlier best-of will suffice, if you can still find it, but the 2 CD updating is by no means a stretch. --Steven Stolder

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 7, 2016 09:04

Great, great collection thanks you for bringing me back to those songs!
After these songs, his middle and a later period really shone including "The Hard Way" (not the Kinks song.) The comeback after prison and having lost everything: "Train a' Comin" is a masterful live acoustic effort with legendary players. "I Feel Alright" "Transcendental Blues" El Corozon" "Jersusalem" "The Revolution Starts Now" are albums filled with great great writing imho. I'm sure he's awaitin' on the new Stones album like everyone else. I wonder if Keith was ever asked about him or if he heard the "Dead Flowers" versions or if he even cares. I suspect he's at least heard them, as he knows his Texas songwriters bigtime. I hope someone close to Keith asks him sometime. He could be totally disinterested and unimpressed by these tributes, but I suspect he's heard Steve do Keith's own country classic. Keith mostly wrote DF; is that true? I think I read here that DF was mostly, or completely a Keith song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-07 09:35 by hopkins.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 7, 2016 16:41

Steve Earle is a modern day Beat poet, and he's a progressive activist.

he chooses to make his concerts platforms for supporting Amnesty International.

and he wrote a song 'Mississippi Its time' for this organization

[www.splcenter.org]

he is a 'near marxist' by his own admission, and a hard working touring musician who has written lots of good songs and some great ones.

you might hear Stones covers at his shows, he is steeped in the blues

I heard him do a fine version of 'Sweet Virginia' at one show.

you kind of have to take his politics with his music, he rolls it all into one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home