Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Highly Recommended Books on ELVIS
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2016 10:14

I have recently read almost every book Peter Guralnick has written on music.
He's the best. His books on ELVIS -- LAST TRAIN TO MEMPHIS: THE RISE OF ELVIS and CARELESS LOVE are terrific!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-02 10:16 by stonesrule.

Re: OT Highly Recommended Books on ELVIS
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 2, 2016 13:48

I have also read those Elvis books, and I dig 'em, very insightful

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 2, 2016 14:16

I think the Recording Sessions by Ernst Jorgensen is pretty good.

I hate the salacious garbage that comes out about a good man, who was fundamentally flawed. Elvis made great music from 1954-1958, and then from 1960 - 1962, and then from 1968 - 1973.

What is also a bit disquieting is that Elvis impersonators tend to focus on the white jumpsuit era, but very few focus on the black suit of 1969, the leathers of 1968, or the rockabilly rebel / rock'n'roll king of the 50s.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 2, 2016 17:37

tomcasagranda
What is also a bit disquieting is that Elvis impersonators tend to focus on the white jumpsuit era, but very few focus on the black suit of 1969, the leathers of 1968, or the rockabilly rebel / rock'n'roll king of the 50s.

From what I've seen, that may be due to the fact that the average Elvis impersonator is physically able to replicate the "jumpsuit era" look of Elvis far easier than they could ever consider duplicating the earlier looks. Although he was still "Elvis" when he was in the jumpsuit, prior to that he was, in my opinion, unique to a point where anyone trying to imitate his prior eras runs the risk of being a parody as opposed to a tribute.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home