Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Metallica and Lou Reed's new album
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 20, 2011 12:19

[www.roadrunnerrecords.com]

It's going to be out on October 31. To be honest I'm more interested in this album than the SuperHeavy thing.

Re: OT: Metallica and Lou Reed's new album
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 20, 2011 13:53

This should be an interesting collaboration. Can't believe I'm saying this as Lou Reed is one of the creepiest people I've ever met.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:59

This could be great but there are a LOT of ways in which it could be pretty lame. If Metallica does some sort of soft-rock back-up to Reeds folk songs then it's gonna really suck. BUT if Reed allows the band to really ROCK and "stretch" than it could be great. There are a lot of elements to this project like the songs themselves, the production and recording style and the overall sonic goal that could go sideways. Personally I'm hoping for the best ala Rock n Roll Animal.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 21, 2011 20:12

It can't be any worse than Lou's most recent live DVD, Lollapalooza Live, from two years ago. Lou can't even be bothered to play the fourth chord (Bm) in Sweet Jane anymore. His big, but underused band muddles through eight songs and about 10 minutes of his Metal Machine Trio. Not very good at all.

Posted by: justafan ()
Date: August 24, 2011 16:16

stonesrule,
could you elaborate on your meeting with Lou Reed? i've never heard him described that way so was wondering...
thanks in advance smiling smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 24, 2011 21:17

Lou looks a bit like Keith...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 24, 2011 22:06

TooTough
Lou looks a bit like Keith...

Yes he does.

PS
Ya know, I always wondered why these multi-millionaires always look so grumpy in these types of shots, down right pouty... Heck, If I had just one million Dollars I would be smiling ear to ear all day long... oh well... at least Keith has been smiling and happy looking in his recent pictures.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 25, 2011 05:11

ab
It can't be any worse than Lou's most recent live DVD, Lollapalooza Live, from two years ago. Lou can't even be bothered to play the fourth chord (Bm) in Sweet Jane anymore. His big, but underused band muddles through eight songs and about 10 minutes of his Metal Machine Trio. Not very good at all.

I've noticed that about recent versions of Sweet Jane and it's particularly weird given that Lou would always reference the Bm as being the key to the main chord progression whenever he spoke about writing the tune. Why on earth did he stop playing it?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 25, 2011 08:51

andrewm
ab

I've noticed that about recent versions of Sweet Jane and it's particularly weird given that Lou would always reference the Bm as being the key to the main chord progression whenever he spoke about writing the tune. Why on earth did he stop playing it?

That's scandalous. I love that tune and that minor chord is absolutely beautiful.

Maybe your confusing it with I Love You Suzanne? smoking smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 25, 2011 09:17

Well I don't know if I belive in this collaboration to be honest....Metallica's two latest albums is brilliant..what can Lou Reed bring that makes this album even better..Hesitate Hetfield, Hesitate!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: August 25, 2011 10:30

I hope it's way better than this

Date: August 25, 2011 10:50

I hope it's way better than this

I'll dare it will be even worser...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 25, 2011 10:53

Come On
Well I don't know if I belive in this collaboration to be honest....Metallica's two latest albums is brilliant..what can Lou Reed bring that makes this album even better..Hesitate Hetfield, Hesitate!

huh? st anger and death magnetic are not brilliant. st anger is laughable and death magnetic is just barely listenable

Date: August 25, 2011 10:57

huh? st anger and death magnetic are not brilliant. st anger is laughable and death magnetic is just barely listenable

You're probably appreciate music by AC/DC and Iron Maiden, I'm not...those mentioned albums is very special and tight...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 25, 2011 11:02

But is it going to be new songs, or old Lou Reed material.
If the latter I couldn't care less.

Date: August 25, 2011 11:26

Come On

You're probably appreciate music by AC/DC and Iron Maiden, I'm not...those mentioned albums is very special and tight...

i don't think anyone on this forum will figure out how ac/dc and iron maiden are similar.

back to those bad metallica albums.
st anger has no guitar solo's, the lyrics are juvenille for a band that use to write brilliant lyrics (leper messiah is a good example of brilliant lyrics). the vocal perfomance by hetfield is horrible and lars sounds like he's beating on a pringles can and pots and pans instead of drums

death magnetic is better than st anger but it lacks a lot of catchy riffs the band use to be know for. overall it sounds like the band no longer remembers or either no longer cares how to write long thrash songs. most of the songs sound like 3-4 different songs cobbled together by a bad transition. every album metallica did in the 80's had long songs but back then the songs transitioned smoothly and you never lost the theme of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-25 11:27 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: August 25, 2011 11:48

i don't think anyone on this forum will figure out how ac/dc and iron maiden are similar.

It's 'Bubble-Gum-rock'....grinning smiley

I see what you mean with Anger and Magnetic...you see I think Metallicas albums before them is a little like that mentioned bubble-gum....I have to add that I'm no bigger digger of 70ies heavy metal....

2 1 2 0

Date: August 25, 2011 11:57

Come On

It's 'Bubble-Gum-rock'....grinning smiley

I see what you mean with Anger and Magnetic...you see I think Metallicas albums before them is a little like that mentioned bubble-gum....I have to add that I'm no bigger digger of 70ies heavy metal....

i am guessing you live in england or at least not in the united states. over here in the states maiden is still sorta underground. they get basically no radio or video play for anything released since 1986. they play much smaller venues here compared to the rest of the world. i still don't think i would ever call maiden bubble gum rock. hell most of the lyrics are based on books that no one has ever read or war/history. metallica after 1990 has been very bubble gum rock if thats what you want to call it. they went mainstream and stopped being complex

Date: August 25, 2011 12:17

i am guessing you live in england

much worser than that...I'm leaving in Sweden, and therefore not giving the same value to lyrics like you native englishspoken..it's 100% the music I'm writing about...I appreciate Dylans and Lennons lyrics though....even read them sometimes...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 25, 2011 13:06

Come On
i am guessing you live in england

much worser than that...I'm leaving in Sweden, and therefore not giving the same value to lyrics like you native englishspoken..it's 100% the music I'm writing about...I appreciate Dylans and Lennons lyrics though....even read them sometimes...

i at least had a feeling you weren't in the states. i know people from brazil who moved here and they literally thought iron maiden was the biggest band in the world because in brazil they basically are. they were shocked that no radio station played maiden on a regular basis and that maiden was playing a venue that held less than 10,000 people. probably in sweden maiden are pretty popular too.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 25, 2011 13:31

keefriffhard4life
Come On

st.anger was shit but death magnetic was a great album!!!!

Date: August 25, 2011 14:23

st.anger was shit

You must got a bad copy...on mine you can really hear how the guys has been longing for playing some hard chords again...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 25, 2011 15:01

Come On
st.anger was shit

You must got a bad copy...on mine you can really hear how the guys has been longing for playing some hard chords again...

not trying to be funny but there was a musical trend here in the states in the late 90's early 00s called nu-metal and st anger is clearly copying that trend but not as well

Date: August 25, 2011 15:33

not trying to be funny but there was a musical trend here in the states in the late 90's early 00s called nu-metal and st anger is clearly copying that trend but not as well

Shit I had no clue, Thanks for telling me...do you also have a name on a band that did succeed in nu-metal...would be intressting to compare with Metallicas failure...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 25, 2011 15:48

Whale
But is it going to be new songs, or old Lou Reed material.
If the latter I couldn't care less.

All new stuff.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 25, 2011 18:36

Call me crazy, but I just can't get enough of this one :

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: August 25, 2011 20:49

Anyone heard a label mentioned yet?

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: August 25, 2011 20:59

They haven't said who'll put it out as of yet[stay tuned].

Date: August 25, 2011 23:29

Come On

Shit I had no clue, Thanks for telling me...do you also have a name on a band that did succeed in nu-metal...would be intressting to compare with Metallicas failure...

SYSTEM OF A DOWN was really huge. they had a bit more melody and experimented a bit more with the genre than some of the other bands but listen to the production, the guitar tone, the lyrics and the way the singer sings most of them. you can clearly here the sound of st anger and this song is 2 years before it came out.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:04

Yeah, Hetfield must have thought - Let's do it without humor...this 'System of a dawn' video is brilliant...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home