Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Create annotations for the group's lyrics on Genius.com
Posted by: doctorjimmy ()
Date: May 29, 2016 14:31

Hi, I just joined the site, been following for some years now, and I have an idea for everyone in the forum to participate. We could annotate the lyrics to Rolling Stones songs, give info about the albums etc. on their Genius.com page. This is a guideline on how to annotate stuff on that site. I think that with your vast experience with the band, we could definitely create a great page for new audiences as well as learn stuff about the group along the way! I have begun by annotating Between The Buttons, as well as some random songs, but this is not a job that could be done by one man alone. So, are you in for some research and annotation on your favorite band? smiling bouncing smiley

Re: Create annotations for the group's lyrics on Genius.com
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 29, 2016 17:19

Odd that you see the Decca cover, but the list is the U.S. tracking.

I maintain that the American versions of this record and Aftermath are far superior to their UK cousins.

Yes, I grew up with them. But later I bought the UK ones and listened only to them, with the thought that they were "the way the Stones intended."

It took a few years but I finally admitted to myself that it wasn't just nostalgia or habit on my part--even though they were shorter, the U.S. records were actually much stronger.

Noting the differences, like a film with two different edits (The Blue Angel with Marlene Dietrich has variations scattered throughout the German and English language versions) is an interesting game.

But I don't accept the argument that those two UK albums are the definitive versions. My guess is that the Stones worked on the tracks in the studio, and didn't waste too much thought into how they were sequenced. Andrew was more likely the principal architect of how the albums were put together for the various market. Singles were added in America, whereas in the UK it just wasn't done.

Adding "Let's Spend The Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday" to Between The Buttons was so brilliant that the Stones copied that same pattern on Sticky Fingers when they opened with "Brown Sugar" and made "Wild Horses" the third track. While the album market had evolved to where it was now OK to include 45's, it seems the Stones were learning from their own US records on how to make a better album.

(The US Aftermath has "Paint It Black" and "Lady Jane" as the 1st and 3rd)

Date: May 29, 2016 23:37

That's all fine and dandy, but do you agree on helping out with the annotations? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 30, 2016 15:40

No one wants to help out? eye popping smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home