Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Stone Roses - new single
Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: May 12, 2016 23:40

A few hours ago Stone Roses released "All for one" their first single since 1995. Sounds like classic Roses, maybe not their best but far better than most of what's going down today. Well done, lads!

Re: OT - Stone Roses - new single
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 12, 2016 23:43

Probably would have sounded fine in 1991.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 12, 2016 23:45

Diabolical. I couldn't even finish it.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 13, 2016 05:52

Perhaps my most favorite band of all time next to the Stones, and I can tell you that these guys oozed talent of epic proportions. Their reunion shows sound as good as they were 20+ ago, and this is exciting!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 13, 2016 12:09

stonesstein
Perhaps my most favorite band of all time next to the Stones, and I can tell you that these guys oozed talent of epic proportions. Their reunion shows sound as good as they were 20+ ago, and this is exciting!
I second that!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 13, 2016 13:22

Good song. Classic Stone Roses sound.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: May 13, 2016 17:29

It sounds more like Beady Eye than Stone Roses.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 13, 2016 18:58

Sorry, but I found that pretty underwhelming. Weak chorus.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: May 14, 2016 22:38

I love the Stone Roses as much as I love the Stones. I have been looking forward to and dreading the new song in equal measure. And, in the end...

...disappointment. There is a great tune in there; when all four of them are contributing and the song is motoring along, it's exactly what was required from a comeback single - an upbeat, updated classic Roses sound. But...

...the lyrics are way below par, nowhere near what they're capable of, whichever of them wrote it.
The arrangement is infuriating. Far too much chorus repetition, and too many breakdowns where the drums drop out and interrupt the momentum of the song.
Reni, the drummer, is hugely disappointing. He is an utterly fantastic drummer, but is simply lumpen here.
The production is far too massive sounding, which it doesn't need.

Overall, a huge missed opportunity - I hope new listeners don't judge them on it, as it could have been so much better than the reasonable-but-not-great song it's turned out to be.

Declan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home