Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Keith's Pharmacist', Svi
Posted by: z ()
Date: April 23, 2016 11:45

In his book, Bill German tells about a Jewish guy (Israeli perhaps?) called Svi, who was Keith's personal assistant from 1979. He left around '86 to become a chemistry teacher.
I don't recall ever seeing him mentioned anywhere other than in BG's book. Anyone here knows anything about him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 11:47 by z.

Re: 'Keith's Pharmacist', Svi
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 23, 2016 13:24

You're talking about Freddie Sessler.

Little is written about him, but this is the main story:

He was born in Krakow, Poland, and survived the Holocaust (so did his more famous brother Siegi who opened an exclusive night club in London). He was also imprisoned in a Gulag camp in Siberia for a while. After the war, Freddie met many celebrities at his brother's club and somehow ended up supplying the likes of Frank Sinatra with heroin. He met Keith Richards for the first time in 1972 and got fully accepted after he took the blame for that infamous incident in Arkansas 1975. Throughout the 70s and 80s, Sessler supplied The Stones, Clapton and others with high quality substances. His most demanded goods were pills called Sessler's Helpers and pure Merck rock cocaine. Sessler claimed to have been a millionaire six times and broke six times, supposedly making fortunes on light bulbs and alternative medicine among other things. He lived in Orlando, Florida, for most of his adult life and was a regular guest on Stones tours until an incident in Las Vegas during the Voodoo Lounge tour, when he was arrested for snorting cocaine in the hotel lobby I think. A true original and eccentric character that sadly passed away in 2002.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 13:36 by The Worst..

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 13:38

He was with Keith during the Dirty Work sessions in Paris.

Date: April 23, 2016 13:45

No, The Worst, I'm not talking about Freddie Sessler. Svi is another person.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 23, 2016 13:47

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 18:26 by jambay.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 23, 2016 13:50

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 18:26 by jambay.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 23, 2016 14:36

You'll see Svi on this picture.
[www.corbisimages.com]

Date: April 23, 2016 15:27

Thanks ouroux58. Makes sense.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 23, 2016 17:36

I remember him during Dirty Work sessions in Paris,he was Keith's assistant and was very cool.You can see his name on the Dirty Work Sleeve.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 23, 2016 20:23

z
No, The Worst, I'm not talking about Freddie Sessler. Svi is another person.

I read your post too fast. When I read a Jewish guy described by Bill German, I instantly thought you were talking about Freddie Sessler. Sorry about that. I don´t know much about Svi unfortunately.

Date: April 24, 2016 08:31

No worries, The Worst, thanks for your response.

A few more words about the man: according to Bill German, Svi was a licensed pharmacist and a Talmudic scholar. He arrived in Paris in '79, driving  a decommissioned British taxi, after spending several months in Morocco. He smuggled a big stash of Moroccan hash and someone connected him with the Stones, who were recording at Pathe-Marconi at the time and showed interest in his merchandise.
BG claims Svi was the only person he knew to ever make a complete U-turn and go back to normal life after serving within the Stones inner circle.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 24, 2016 09:01

The man in the Corbis photo looks exactly like Gary Schultz who was an assistant for Keith in the 1980's. Gary is credited on a few albums as being on the crew with Chuch Magee and Johnny Starbuck. He lived with Keith, doing odd jobs like washing dishes, distributing party drugs, calling the limousine. Keith was splitting his time between three apartments in NYC and a couple of mansions outside the city. Gary told me "Keith has three women but he says you are intelligent, sensitive, and you have a great sense of humor so he has asked me to invite you over tonight". I was surprised to hear that as it wasn't what I'd read in the papers. I soon found out he was telling the truth. Gary was Keith's confidante and conveyer of messages.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-24 10:35 by chatoyancy.

Date: April 24, 2016 12:25

Your anecdote sounds interesting....if you could elaborate on this i'd be grateful. How did you met him?, 3 women?....

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 24, 2016 13:26

Maybe Tzvi was his Hebrew name and Gary was his "everyday" name.

Date: April 24, 2016 14:07

Thanks chatoyancy, could be him. "Svi" was a nickname given to him during his days in the kibbutz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-24 19:00 by z.

Date: April 24, 2016 19:19

Well, on the Dirty Work sleeve it reads "Thanks to [...] Gary Schultz and Svi". So I guess they're not the same man.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 00:29

Freddie was a good friend of mine. Got me in everywhere and introduced me to JC, the ultimate

Date: April 26, 2016 08:50

After checking with a most reliable source I can now confirm that the guy in the Cobris photo is indeed Svi. Thanks.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 26, 2016 18:30

Gary Schultz is Svi. Not the first in-joke on a liner note.

Date: April 27, 2016 09:55

I'm afraid you're wrong this time, Rocky D. Bill German insists that Schultz and Svi are two separate entities.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 27, 2016 15:17

Is Svi the guy Keef spits on in the DW outtake "Victor Hugo"?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 27, 2016 19:55

z
I'm afraid you're wrong this time, Rocky D. Bill German insists that Schultz and Svi are two separate entities.

Bill would know. I thought they were the same person because I've also seen a photo where the same face was identified as both Gary and Svi. Interesting and thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home