Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stones first gig surprise news
Posted by: mkbbci ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:04

I just found out something rather interesting from another fairly reliable stones website about the stones first gig on july 12,1962.at first,i didn,t believe it,but i do remember reading somewhere a while ago that jagger said that this same lineup played as the stones on that famous day.the widow of carlo little,one of the band,s early drummers,says she has carlo,s diary going back to 1961.i don,t know the woman,and I don,t know if she,s telling the truth.she claims it was mick jagger,19,keith Richards,18,brian jones,20,nicky Hopkins ,18,on piano,ricky brown(fenson),17,on bass,and carlo little,23,on drums.at least she got their ages at the time correct.

Re: stones first gig surprise news
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:27

Link to website please

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 11, 2016 19:44

"Carlo kept a detailed log of all his early gigs and how much he was paid, recorded in an invoice book from May 1961. He was paid in old English pounds and shillings. You can see from the amount of gigs and travelling that The Savages must have been one of the hardest working bands on the circuit at the time."

Nothing listed for July 12, 1962:
[carlolittle.wix.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 11, 2016 20:16

Mick has mentioned that line-up on an interview for the Daily Mail in 2011:

‘The first ever performance we did was in July at the Marquee Club in London and it was billed as Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. It was just me and Keith, Brian (Jones) and a backing band. No one else – no Charlie (Watts), he wasn’t even there. I remember it exactly. I was 19 years old. Ricky Fenson on bass, Carlo Little on drums and Nicky Hopkins on piano. They all told us to **** off when we tried to hire them but it was a big deal getting a gig at the Marquee because it was the hottest London club. It was a jazz club trying to break into blues.

‘The gig was amazing – the drummer was going mad and Nicky was rocking his electric piano and I remember the crowd going absolutely wild. I was thinking as I was singing, they obviously have to book us again, this is the most rocking gig they’ve had in the Marquee ever. But they didn’t. They didn’t let us back in there for ages because rock was working-class, rubbish music. It didn’t exist on an intellectual level like jazz. They saw the future and they didn’t like it. That was our first gig and the people we wanted to get the point just didn’t get it."

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 11, 2016 20:20

So what's the surprise news?

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 11, 2016 21:38

Mick has a poor memory. And, actually, I doubt that he said what Daily Mail reports in that quote. It´s very rare that Mick gives so detailed information about anything, especially about a gig that happened 50+ years ago.

Tony Chapman played drums and Dick Taylor played bass on their first gig. This have been confirmed many times by various sources, not just Bill Wyman. Bill was not the only one writing a diary. Ian Stewart did too, and the set list for that very first gig on 12th of July 1962 was actually written by Stu on his diary page for July 13 and ripped out to be used at the gig. I have a copy of that diary page somewhere.

Date: March 11, 2016 21:45

Bill wouldn't know because he wasn't there. He has said that Mick Avory played drums that night something that Avory himself has denied.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 11, 2016 21:45

The Worst.
Mick has a poor memory. And, actually, I doubt that he said what Daily Mail reports in that quote. It´s very rare that Mick gives so detailed information about anything, especially about a gig that happened 50+ years ago.

Tony Chapman played drums and Dick Taylor played bass on their first gig. This have been confirmed many times by various sources, not just Bill Wyman. Bill was not the only one writing a diary. Ian Stewart did too, and the set list for that very first gig on 12th of July 1962 was actually written by Stu on his diary page for July 13 and ripped out to be used at the gig. I have a copy of that diary page somewhere.

Yes, those detailed infos mentioned by Mick on that interview seem to be a little odd and many sources have already confirmed that Dick Taylor played bass and Tony Chapman was the drummer that night, but since the OP didn't came back with the source for the post I thought that Mick interview would fit here. smiling smiley

Here's Stu's diary with the 12th July 1962 setlist:

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Date: March 11, 2016 21:48

Deltics
Bill wouldn't know because he wasn't there. He has said that Mick Avory played drums that night something that Avory himself has denied.

Yes, I know. But he´s done a great job as an historian trying to document the origins and early development of The Rolling Stones.

Date: March 11, 2016 21:51

Cristiano Radtke
The Worst.

Yes, those detailed infos mentioned by Mick on that interview seem to be a little odd and many sources have already confirmed that Dick Taylor played bass and Tony Chapman was the drummer that night, but since the OP didn't came back with the source for the post I thought that Mick interview would fit here. smiling smiley

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

It should be noted, however, that the setlist is written in a diary for 1961!

Date: March 11, 2016 21:54

That can´t be right, because 13th of July 1961 was a Thursday, not a Friday, as it was in 1962.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 21:54 by The Worst..

Date: March 11, 2016 21:56

The Worst.
That can´t be right, because 13th of July 1961 was a Thursday, not a Friday, as it was in 1962.
The setlist is written on the January pages of a 1961 diary.

Date: March 11, 2016 21:59

I see it now that it says January 1961 in the top right corner.
Never noticed before!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 11, 2016 21:59

Deltics
Cristiano Radtke
The Worst.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

It should be noted, however, that the setlist is written in a diary for 1961!

And it's the week of January 8-14, 1961 as opposed to a page for July 13th, 1962. Possibly the photo Christiano shared is not the same page/setlist as one The Worst was referring to in their post.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 11, 2016 22:07

Yes, mr_dja, I think this is the one I was referring to. It looks similar. I remember Stu writing "my intro" after Kansas City. I always thought it was cool that it was Stu who kicked it all off and made the first noise from The Rolling Stones in front of an audience. I´ve just never noticed that it says January 1961. I always took it for granted it was for July 1962, because 12th of July 1962 was a Thursday, just like the 12th on this diary page is a Thursday.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 11, 2016 23:35

The Worst->

I had never thought about "it was Stu who kicked it all off" aspect before! THAT is cool to think about. Another example of why I keep coming back to this board after all these years!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 11, 2016 23:43

Here's what Charlie was up to on July 12 1962.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 12, 2016 00:44

I remember reading years ago on a site (maybe Carlo Little tribute) another take on the really first gig. This was played before july 12, 1962, but the name (The) Rolling Stones was not invented yet.

Does it count?

If memory serves me well it was Andy Hoogenboom or some of the other early muscians /witnesses from the Alexis Korner crowd who claimed he saw "the stones" (pre-born) play their first show elsewere (in a pub or something).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-12 00:48 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 12, 2016 05:02

The Stones line up for first gig at the Marquee Club July 12th 1962 was Jagger, Richards, Dick Taylor, Brian Jones AKA "Elmo Lewis" Ian Stewart and Tony Chapman..
I spoke with and interviewed Tony Chapman, Carlo Little, Alexis Korner, Ian Stewart,Charlie watts, Mick Avory among others about the first Stones gig and the year 1962 for the Stones.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 12, 2016 07:33

RipThisBone
I remember reading years ago on a site (maybe Carlo Little tribute) another take on

If memory serves me well it was Andy Hoogenboom or some of the other early muscians /witnesses from the Alexis Korner crowd who claimed he saw "the stones" (pre-born) play their first show elsewere (in a pub or something).

Sadly, Andy died last year. :-(

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 31, 2016 08:24

The Daily Mail quote from Mick is, like much they print, a work of fiction. We know it was Stu and not Nicky. What's more Nicky was not playing "electric piano" in 1962. These guys can't even be bothered to get facts right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home