Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what football clubs do/did the stones support.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 01:44

charlie
brian
mick j
bill
keith
mick t
ronnie w

anyone know or can guess.

just wondering how this would have afected the dynamics/friendships within the band at various stages throughout the years.

i heard mick j was an arsenal fan and bill was crystal palace.

can anyone confirm this.

Re: what football clubs do/did the stones support.
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 10, 2016 02:51

Yeah, Bill supports Crystal Palace.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 10, 2016 02:58

Yes, Mick Supports Arsenal as does Johnny Rotten (& me....(childhood choice.........& Swansea my home team

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 10, 2016 14:55

I would use the term 'support' in it's loosest, most ambiguous sense. Mick Jagger probably believes Arsenal still play at Highbury.

Date: March 10, 2016 15:16

Big Al
I would use the term 'support' in it's loosest, most ambiguous sense. Mick Jagger probably believes Arsenal still play at Highbury.

They don't???? ...eye popping smiley..............I think support for a lot of people nowadays especially with Premiership ticket prices is looking for 'your team's' result first on the videoprinter............>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-10 15:16 by EddieByword.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: March 10, 2016 15:55

I have seen that Bill supported Port Vale. But I have also seen Palace.

[www.homeofretro.com]

BILL WYMAN

Since 1997 he has toured with Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings and as well as music, he’s a prolific author, art lover and businessmen, amongst other ventures he owns the Sticky Fingers Café. After a high profile and controversial marriage to 18-year old Mandy Smith (he was 52), he married Suzanne Acosta who bore him three children. He’s a keen photographer and a fan of Port Vale.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 10, 2016 15:56

They all support Milan

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 10, 2016 16:00

I watched this at the start of the season (Premier League 2015/16),
an interview with Bill at Selhurst Park released by Crystal Palace FC:

It´s interesting to hear him talk about the recording of Paint it Black.
And I`m pretty sure Charlie Watts is an Arsenal fan. EDIT: Charlie is a Spurs fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-10 22:06 by The Worst..

Date: March 10, 2016 17:09

The Worst.

And I`m pretty sure Charlie Watts is an Arsenal fan.

I'm quietiy impressed with this. Bill's from Penge, south-east London; so Palace are a local club. Good on him, I say. I still stand by my comments regarding Mick and his support of Arsenal, though. I recall a semi-excruciating interview, circa She's The Boss-era, where he proclaims his fandom and reasons his following to Arsenal originally being a south London club. We're going-back to the late 19th century-early 20th, here. Come on, Mick! You were born a long time after the days' of Woolwich Arsenal!

Date: March 10, 2016 17:23

Big Al
The Worst.

And I`m pretty sure Charlie Watts is an Arsenal fan.

I'm quietiy impressed with this. Bill's from Penge, south-east London; so Palace are a local club. Good on him, I say. I still stand by my comments regarding Mick and his support of Arsenal, though. I recall a semi-excruciating interview, circa She's The Boss-era, where he proclaims his fandom and reasons his following to Arsenal originally being a south London club. We're going-back to the late 19th century-early 20th, here. Come on, Mick! You were born a long time after the days' of Woolwich Arsenal!

That's funny, those are my Arsenal reasons too............my mother was born in the Milli-mat (Military Maternity Hospital) in Artillery road, (where the actual weapons arsenal was) Woolwich in 1930 .........

Although true as an afterthought, it was actually Charlie George's FA Cup winning goal in 1971.........................smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-10 17:25 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: March 10, 2016 18:40

Doesn't Charlie support Spurs? I've never heard the Port Vale thing before with Bill - he's a Palace fan.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 10, 2016 18:45

Is football still a sport these days or a buy/sell-market at the stock exchange?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 10, 2016 18:46

Well, I read somewhere that Eric Clapton supported for a period Midlands team West Bromwich Albion.
Ronnie: WBA also though with his boys its Chelsea, no surprise there.

I think both Mick + Charlie are more cricket fans.
I may be wrong,but I don't think Keith shows much interest...but does play pool/snooker.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 23:36

The Oakland Raiders for sure

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:05

Denver Broncos (Wild Horses)!

Posted by: chop ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:50

It seems so strange hearing soccer referred to as football. I've never gotten used to that.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:08

chop
It seems so strange hearing soccer referred to as football. I've never gotten used to that.

And that's why there's a difference between the US and the UK. American Football is more like our rugby, and baseball like cricket.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:13

Au contraire, it is football that is referred to as 'soccer', not the other way around.

Olly.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:14

tomcasagranda
chop

And that's why there's a difference between the US and the UK. American Football is more like our rugby, and baseball like cricket.

That is true. Rugby I'm shocked hasn't gained more of a foothold in America. It's quite an enjoyable game to watch. Soccer I'll never take too...cricket I haven't fully grasped the rules yet though I love baseball so I may like that.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:37

Olly
Au contraire, it is football that is referred to as 'soccer', not the other way around.
EXACTLY!

Date: March 11, 2016 16:38

geordiestone, your thoughts on Benitez?

Olly.

Date: March 11, 2016 16:46

chop
tomcasagranda
chop

That is true. Rugby I'm shocked hasn't gained more of a foothold in America. It's quite an enjoyable game to watch. Soccer I'll never take too...cricket I haven't fully grasped the rules yet though I love baseball so I may like that.

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

I have no idea either........

Baseball is more like the game rounders in the uk........(generally not played by adults.........(schoolyard stuff

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 16:49 by EddieByword.

Date: March 11, 2016 16:51

EddieByword
...Baseball is more like the game rounders in the uk........(generally not played by adults.........(schoolyard stuff

Yes, as a fan of competitive sport baseball is perhaps the most intriguing example of the most watched sports, particularly from a UK perspective.

Tens of thousands of people packing stadiums for a glorified game of rounders.

Very much a cultural phenomenon and a social experience as much as a sport, I understand.

Olly.

Date: March 11, 2016 17:02

Olly
EddieByword
...Baseball is more like the game rounders in the uk........(generally not played by adults.........(schoolyard stuff

Yes, as a fan of competitive sport baseball is perhaps the most intriguing example of the most watched sports, particularly from a UK perspective.

Tens of thousands of people packing stadiums for a glorified game of rounders.

Very much a cultural phenomenon and a social experience as much as a sport, I understand.

Same with basketball..........when I was a kid in Hong Kong, the boys used to play basketball and the girls netball...it was virtually the same game.............I guess though, whatever it's called, if you like it, play or watch it.

I think the term soccer did actually originate in England but didn't catch on fully........
The full name for football (soccer) was Association Football (as opposed to Rugby football)....the Association bit was abbreviated to soccer but as I say the people in England (& most of the rest of the world after that) preferred just 'football'.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 19:22 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: March 11, 2016 18:08

chop
tomcasagranda
chop

Rugby is certainly increasing in popularity in America - a professional North American league is about to be launched. The introduction of rugby 7s into the Olympics certainly helps - the size of the crowd at the Las Vegas 7s last week was very encouraging.

Date: March 11, 2016 18:09

Rounders and rugby are related to the U.S. sports' of baseball and American football, respectively.

EddieByword; that's spot-on, regarding the origins of the term 'soccer' It's 100% English in it's origin.

Whilst we're at it, let's throw-in that it was the founding of the Football Assocation in London circa sometime in the 19th century, that gave birth to the modern game as we know it.

The football-loving world really does owe our F.A. a debt if gratitude thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:36

...and Brian Keith Stu and Ronnie is/was of course Fulham fans as me...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 11, 2016 19:48

Big Al
Rounders and rugby are related to the U.S. sports' of baseball and American football, respectively.

EddieByword; that's spot-on, regarding the origins of the term 'soccer' It's 100% English in it's origin.

Whilst we're at it, let's throw-in that it was the founding of the Football Assocation in London circa sometime in the 19th century, that gave birth to the modern game as we know it.

The football-loving world really does owe our F.A. a debt of gratitude thumbs up

But what do we get................................Sepp Blatter............>grinning smiley<

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 11, 2016 21:12

Olly
geordiestone, your thoughts on Benitez?
Too little too late for me. He'd never of been my first choice but he's gotta be an improvement on McClaren and beggars can't be choosers. That said he has a relegation clause meaning he can go at the end of the season if we are as i expect relegated. Nothing will change at Newcastle United until Mike Ashley is gone Olly mate.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 11, 2016 21:25

geordiestone, who would have been your first choice then? I can´t see how Newcastle would have got hold of a better manager at this point. It´s incredible really that Newcastle got a manager of Benitez´quality when they´re fighting to avoid relegation with 10 games to play. I know Benitez is disliked by many in England outside Liverpool, but I think he´s massively underrated by english press and fans. He´s CV speaks for itself: 2 La Liga titles (with a team that was not Barcelona or Real), 2 UEFA Cup/Europe League, Champions League with an underdog team that should never have won it (+ one Champions League runner´s up with the same team, proving the previous triumph was not a fluke), FA Cup, Coppa Italia, World Club Cup... You´re not getting any trophies this year, but I guess Benitez´emphasis on defensive structure, balance and organization will make you a harder team to beat - and that´s going to save your place I think.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home