Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP: Sonny James "Young Love" (possible Stones related too - "Bo and Peep" )
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 24, 2016 19:13

Sonny James did "Young Love" and some other good songs.

This is all unsubstantiated rumor, I never heard this before.

That Bo and Peep were the Rolling Stones and they did a one-off make of "Young Love". Check it out.

The truth is that Bo & Peep was a one-shot offshoot of Andrew "Loog" Oldham's efforts at establishing a Phil Spector-type music factory, possibly from the same sessions on which Gene Pitney and Phil Spector hooked up with the Rolling Stones for the latter's official recordings ("Now I've Got a Witness" etc.). The Rolling Stones played behind Bo & Peep on "Young Love," and Kim Fowley was the lead singer on "Rise of the Brighton Surf." "Young Love" was the Sonny James hit, while "Brighton Surf" is a savage parody of the Animals' "House of the Rising Sun." Bo & Peep were no more than a brief vignette at the outset of the Rollong Stones' history, in their first full year as a recording act and would-be rivals to the Beatles. There's no mistaking the playing behind "Young Love," and completists can only ponder what other products of those Oldham-exploitation sessions remain in the can.

[www.youtube.com]

Another video on youtube pushes this story as well.

Sonny James', the Southern Gentleman's, original "Young Love".

[www.youtube.com]

I may try to add some other Sonny James songs later.

----------------

Edit On:

Sonny James and the Southern Gentlemen, "Miracles still happen": [www.youtube.com]

Also, he did the Seekers' "World Of Our Own", decent and had a hit called "Running Bear", big hit, I think we'd call it a novelty-type of song.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 19:47 by BroomWagon.

Re: RIP: Sonny James "Young Love" (possible Stones related too - "Bo and Peep" )
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 24, 2016 19:43

The Rolling Stones played behind Bo & Peep on "Young Love," and Kim Fowley was the lead singer on "Rise of the Brighton Surf."

Never heard of this... Which Stones? Playing as side musicians, session men?

Any hopeless recording material has resurfaced?

Re: RIP: Sonny James "Young Love" (possible Stones related too - "Bo and Peep" )
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 24, 2016 19:49

Any hopeless recording material has resurfaced?

I had to pass this on. Maybe someone knows about it. I don't. Another video over there says the same as well and that song "Rising Surf of Brighton" is on youtube as well, the flip-side.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 24, 2016 20:09

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 24, 2016 20:23

Thanks

That is the Stones? Maybe.. I would never have guessed...

The sound of the lead guitar (1'50) is not so raunchy and interlaced with breaks, upbeats and silences as Keith used to play...

But maybe this is all due to the producing...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 24, 2016 21:10

[www.iorr.org]

[jppsessionman.jimdo.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home