Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Natalie Cole
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 1, 2016 20:03

This just came in:

[abcnews.go.com]

Re: OT: RIP Natalie Cole
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2016 20:47

Wasn't expecting that ! She did a great album, Ask A Woman Who Knows, which is a jazzier recording.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 1, 2016 21:27

tomcasagranda
Wasn't expecting that!

... and perhaps quite avoidable?:

I saw Natalie Cole sing in the Hamptons on August 29th at a charity benefit. She was there with producer David Foster, who was bringing a caravan of performers back from an Asia tour. She was stick thin. She could barely sing. She sang in a whisper. She was late coming on stage. She was confused and disoriented. She was physically weak.

I have never been horrified in my life. I’ve known Natalie well for years. This was NOT Natalie Cole. She looked like she was going to drop dead any moment. If this were a close friend, or a work associate with whom I’d been traveling, I would have called an ambulance right then and there.

Source: [www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 1, 2016 21:59

It seems she had many health challenges. She had a beautiful voice
and she took great effort to honor her father. Rest in peace Natalie.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 1, 2016 23:31

Man! some names you don't expect yet in the RIP section ...RIP

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 1, 2016 23:38

A great singer much overlooked because of her lineage. She pops up a number of times in my permanent song mix. Here's a taste of some things that pop up.

Covering Neil Young:

[www.youtube.com]

The long version:

[www.youtube.com]

Love this. It's musical religion:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2016 01:31

Very sad - RIP.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 2, 2016 01:50

I've seen her in a really good concert in 2000.

RIP Natalie Cole

Date: January 2, 2016 02:11

that's pretty shocking

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: January 2, 2016 06:30

It's not so shocking. For ten years she's been honest about her addiction to crack cocaine, which damaged her kidneys and led to a kidney transplant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-02 06:31 by chatoyancy.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 2, 2016 08:55

So sad. "This Will Be", "I've Got Love On My Mind" were two of my favorite songs as a kid...
I remember when she blasted the Grammys the year Amy Winehouse won, saying they shouldn't reward her when she was so f*** up...
Natalie was blasted for doing so as it seemed petty, they called her a hypocrite in light of her own struggle with addiction. Amy was at one of her peaks of her self destructive behavior.
I didn't agree with Natalie's criticism then and still don't, but I do see it in a different light now. I'm thinking Natalie may have recognized Amy's struggles with early fame and how addiction can destroy not just a career but a life. She experienced her greatest successes and accolades while in the throes of addiction. Maybe she was trying to fire a warning signal to a young artist because she had been there. Perhaps it wasn't so much pettiness and self righteousness but compassion and kinship. If that's the case, and I suspect it may have been to a degree, then I have such an admiration and respect for her.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 2, 2016 14:54

Rest in peace, Natalie Cole

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home