Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MJ & Joe Satriani 1988 Little Red Rooster
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 19:37

Re: MJ & Joe Satriani 1988 Little Red Rooster
Date: December 29, 2015 00:45

Roadster32
Little Red Rooster

Enjoy!

thumbs up

A younger generation of players bringing new energy to this song. Very refreshing at the time.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 29, 2015 10:21

Fabulous, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 29, 2015 17:58

Very good version.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2015 18:03

"Enjoy"!

No thanks.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 29, 2015 18:49

Hairball
"Enjoy"!

No thanks.

That may have been a good choice, Hairball. I listened out of curiosity but turned it off half way through. Jagger was fine but the band...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2015 19:02

mr_dja
Hairball
"Enjoy"!

No thanks.

That may have been a good choice, Hairball. I listened out of curiosity but turned it off half way through. Jagger was fine but the band...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Well you guys missed a pretty rippin' harp solo by Mick near the end that was worth the price of admission, imo.

Date: December 29, 2015 19:46

Naturalust

Well you guys missed a pretty rippin' harp solo by Mick near the end that was worth the price of admission, imo.

Yeah, Jagger was very inspired. Must have been the band backing him up that got the best out of him. That's how things work in music as you know. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 19:50 by DancelittleSister.

Date: December 29, 2015 20:11

DancelittleSister
Naturalust

Yeah, Jagger was very inspired. Must have been the band backing him up that got the best out of him. That's how things work in music as you know. cool smiley

Possibly Jagger was busting his butt to cover for his band's limitations. That's also a way that things work in music, as you know.

Tempted to find that solo...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 29, 2015 20:38

mr_dja

Possibly Jagger was busting his butt to cover for his band's limitations. That's also a way that things work in music, as you know.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yeah Mr DJA, I know all about it. Now please elaborate about Jagger's band
limitations posted above? I'm all ears smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 20:47 by DancelittleSister.

Date: December 29, 2015 21:12

DancelittleSister
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

limitations posted above? I'm all ears smiling smiley[/quote]

If you're all ears and know all about it, why would you need me to elaborate? I just didn't find their collective ability to play Little Red Rooster all that effective from what I heard on that video. Nothing against them as people, musicians or even as a band. And don't get me wrong, I like blues-rock. I've got nothing against rockers playing the blues or blues musicians rocking things up a bit. I've got albums in my collection by both Joe Satriani & Jimmy Rip and enjoy them. I'm sure I would have, on some level, enjoyed seeing Jagger on his solo tour as well.

Looking at your original comment on the subject: "A younger generation of players bringing new energy to this song. Very refreshing at the time." I don't know that I could effectively debate either one of those statements. However, 25+ years after it was made, my opinion is such that I don't really care for the then "new energy" they brought and find that any refreshment that may have been there at the time, is now kinda stale in retrospect.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 29, 2015 21:43

mr_dja
DancelittleSister
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

limitations posted above? I'm all ears smiling smiley

If you're all ears and know all about it, why would you need me to elaborate? I just didn't find their collective ability to play Little Red Rooster all that effective from what I heard on that video. Nothing against them as people, musicians or even as a band. And don't get me wrong, I like blues-rock. I've got nothing against rockers playing the blues or blues musicians rocking things up a bit. I've got albums in my collection by both Joe Satriani & Jimmy Rip and enjoy them. I'm sure I would have, on some level, enjoyed seeing Jagger on his solo tour as well.

Looking at your original comment on the subject: "A younger generation of players bringing new energy to this song. Very refreshing at the time." I don't know that I could effectively debate either one of those statements. However, 25+ years after it was made, my opinion is such that I don't really care for the then "new energy" they brought and find that any refreshment that may have been there at the time, is now kinda stale in retrospect.

Peace,
Mr DJA[/quote]

I asked you to elaborate because I always appreciate your insightful posts.

When I listen to that band backing up Jagger after 25+ years I still feel they were adding a different and more "aggressive" flavour to the music; young and very ambitious in demand session players. Great to read that you can step in that time capsule. Calling the band stale (in retrospect) is a matter of taste. If you can make it up the music ladder together with Jagger, everybody wins.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 29, 2015 22:10

Better than I expected.

Date: December 29, 2015 22:37

DancelittleSister

I asked you to elaborate because I always appreciate your insightful posts.

When I listen to that band backing up Jagger after 25+ years I still feel they were adding a different and more "aggressive" flavour to the music; young and very ambitious in demand session players. Great to read that you can step in that time capsule. Calling the band stale (in retrospect) is a matter of taste. If you can make it up the music ladder together with Jagger, everybody wins.

(Had to get rid of those extra quotes!)

That's one of the wonderful things about music... Some hear lemons, others hear lemonade all while listening to the same song!

One note: I definitely wasn't trying to insinuate that the band was stale. Those guys were some of the freshest around at the time and I still shake my head in amazement with what Satriani can do with a guitar in his hands (he's probably my favorite "sheredder" although Vai wouldn't be far behind). I really only picked that word when trying to come up with a counterpoint to your use of "refreshment". Possibly I should have used the word "generic" as I think it would have illustrated the point I was trying to make a bit more effectively.

What makes the performance come across as stale/generic to my ears is the fact that many young/fresh session players of that time (and probably of any time if we looked closely enough) seem to think that adding "aggressive" playing is necessary when covering an older song or an older style of music. So many have done it, for so long that, from sometime around the early to mid-70's it just became cliché and started to sound the same no matter who was/is doing it. Even the Stones (Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.) did it at many points. The problem with that is, unless you've got the right band, adding something "unique/special" (pick your own word if you've got a better one) to the right song(s) you run a very high risk (and probability) of producing the musical equivalent of gruel after starting out with a recipe for a mouth-watering delicacy.

OK... I'm officially getting WAY to long-winded on this subject! Thanks for the conversation DLS!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 30, 2015 14:31

It was brilliant!!!
I was there!!! And i can tell you now everyone in the room loved it!!!
Get with it...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2015 23:20

Naturalust
mr_dja
Hairball
"Enjoy"!

No thanks.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You convinced me to give it a shot Naturalust...

Nice harp for sure, but the rest is as sterile and impure as a slice of white Wonder bread.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 31, 2015 04:39

mirror..mirror.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: December 31, 2015 04:46

sexy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home