Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: No Doubt/Gwen Sefani fans?
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 08:37

Just saw Gwen Stefani sing the Stevie Nicks song, Leather and Lace, last night on The Voice - she broke my heart and reminded me of why she was so good in the first place. She has an unusual voice, but sings, and writes, with such emotion.
I just downloaded a No Doubt greatest hits CD today, and fell in love with Gwen Stefani all over again. (Yeah, I know she f**** up Wild Horses with the Stones but I can forgive her for that. Gwen is actually very shy and insecure so she was probably nervous and intimidated.)
But listening to the cd it occurred to me that we haven't really had a legit front woman with real charisma in a really long time. Was GS the last real female rock star, in the Blondie mold?
I loved that when she's not performing, she's this really shy, nerdy girl, but on stage, she's a rock star. I remember when this song came out - so much swagger in her voice and in this video. It, and she, sounded like nothing else on the radio - she really had a very unique/quirky voice. Everybody today is a pop diva, or an indie singer-songwriter type, but GS is still an original.
She also finally dumped that weasel-has-been-@#$%&, Gavin Rossdale, and that inspired me to rediscover and root for a comeback.
Anybody?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-16 08:46 by stupidguy2.

Re: OT: No Doubt/Gwen Sefani fans?
Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: December 16, 2015 10:03

The best music to come out of Orange County, California: Righteous Brothers, Social Distortion, No Doubt.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 16:33

I loved No Doubt when Tragic Kingdom came out...I was in high school and those songs really take me back to my teen years.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 16, 2015 16:59

No Doubt opened for The Stones in Atlanta 2002 and I thought they were excellent. High energy and good songs - Hella Good, for example

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 16, 2015 17:12

'Oh I'm so sick of that same old love'
catchy phrase on her new tune.
You go girl.
I do like her, and Pink.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 16, 2015 18:09

Per your questions stupidguy2...Was GS the last real female rock star, in the Blondie mold?

Britanny Howard from Alabama Shakes might qualify. She's got the quirkiness thing and she's a powerhouse singer that fronts a band.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 16, 2015 18:13

What is a real female rock star?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 16, 2015 18:14

I can't stand her. That Britney Spears voice is irritating. Her duet it with the Stones was just awful. Blake Shelton should get his head examined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-16 19:59 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 16, 2015 19:09

latebloomer
Per your questions stupidguy2...Was GS the last real female rock star, in the Blondie mold?

Britanny Howard from Alabama Shakes might qualify. She's got the quirkiness thing and she's a powerhouse singer that fronts a band.

I'll stick with Beth Hart as my favorite example of a modern day female rock star. I just wish her star was bigger, or brighter or more well known. Or something along those lines.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 16, 2015 19:21

mr_dja
latebloomer

I'll stick with Beth Hart as my favorite example of a modern day female rock star. I just wish her star was bigger, or brighter or more well known. Or something along those lines.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Just recently started listening to more of Beth Hart's work, Mr DJA, thanks to IORR. smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2015 19:55

mr_dja
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Love Britanny of the Alabama Shakes, and Beth Hart is good. But I meant someone with that level of mainstream success,someone who creates this whole persona and status. Its harder to do these days.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 16, 2015 19:56

latebloomer

I don't think so, her hair is not the right color

Date: December 16, 2015 20:05

More Hot Rocks
I can't stand her. That Britney voice is irritating. Her duet it with the Stones was just awful. Blake Shelton should get his head examined.

She definately has an unusual voice, but that's part of what I was talking about. Really good rock icons always have that thing thst sets them apart from everyone else. Maybe not to everyone's tastes, but no one sounds like Gwen Stefani. That's the mark of a true original. She also wrote very personal lyrics.
(And Blake Shelton is a cool, funny guy and I like his voice, and anything but Gavin Rossdsle is a serious upgrade. I saw him years ago st the Houston rodeo before he was well-known and liked him and his band. He's become more mainstream country and gets criticized by country purists, but he's one of the best representations of good mainstream country. His new single is ace, just enough country and just enough jangle.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-16 20:10 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 20:11

chatoyancy
The best music to come out of Orange County, California: Righteous Brothers, Social Distortion, No Doubt.

Agree re: SD and Righteous

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 16, 2015 23:14

Don't Speak impressed a twelve-year-old Big Al. I liked I'm Just A Girl, too.

Solo-wise, there are some decent single-releases. Decent, with the exception of that one featuring Akon. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Ear-plugs, anyone?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 16, 2015 23:21

More Hot Rocks
I can't stand her. That Britney voice is irritating. Her duet it with the Stones was just awful. Blake Shelton should get his head examined.

I agree, I guess Gavin got sick and tired of hearing that voice drinking smiley

Date: December 16, 2015 23:21

Never really tuned into No Doubt or Gwen Stefani (yer missing the "t" there, stupidguy2 winking smiley), beyond the hits. Honestly, anything in the 90's sorta passed me by...to busy having and taking care of babies during those years to listen to much new music, other than Raffi. Miss those years sometimes, but certainly not the music. But, you've inspired me, SG2, I'll browse around for some of her stuff and take a listen.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 23:36

Some people on this board have shockingly bad taste!

Gwen Stefani!!!!!!!! Really??????

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 16, 2015 23:41

Must say I was impressed by Don't Speak and the record Tragic kingdom....bought this one for my wife as an excuse not to buy my it for myself ;o)
And I think she got a special nice voice not to compare with Britney.

Don't Speak was for 6 weeks number one in the Dutch top40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-17 01:52 by NICOS.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 17, 2015 00:08

strat72
Some people on this board have shockingly bad taste!

Gwen Stefani!!!!!!!! Really??????

Thank you!!!!

Date: December 17, 2015 00:51

This is a tough crowd.
By 'like' I mean respect, admire (female to female/ accomplishments/ positive song writing by Pink/ etc.)
Doesn't mean I'm purchasing and looking for tickets.
Maybe the fact I have daughters sways this some.

Date: December 17, 2015 00:54

And I do like Gwen and Pinks music too. Not all of it. But yeah.

Date: December 17, 2015 01:44

latebloomer
Never really tuned into No Doubt or Gwen Stefani (yer missing the "t" there, stupidguy2 winking smiley), beyond the hits. Honestly, anything in the 90's sorta passed me by...to busy having and taking care of babies during those years to listen to much new music, other than Raffi. Miss those years sometimes, but certainly not the music. But, you've inspired me, SG2, I'll browse around for some of her stuff and take a listen.

I have my own mixed emotions about the 90s, but for different reasons. I was miserable, leaving my 20s with no clear idea of where I was going, so much of the that decade is a depressing memory. But there were a few bright spots, and No Doubt was one of them. I just thought Gwen was the coolest chick since Blondie.
Check this one out Latebloomer...

This was my jam back in the day.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 17, 2015 02:22

Many years ago a friend owned a record store in Anaheim. This little girl would come and buy ska records. I always remembered her because she had a dot on her forehead. Thought that as kinda strange. Several years later was watching MTV and they played a video from a new band called No Doubt. 'Oh my god. That's the girl I sold records too!' Yep, it was Gwen. Not a fan of the band but happy to see a local girl make it too the big time.

Scotty

Date: December 17, 2015 02:41

[email protected]
Many years ago a friend owned a record store in Anaheim. This little girl would come and buy ska records. I always remembered her because she had a dot on her forehead. Thought that as kinda strange. Several years later was watching MTV and they played a video from a new band called No Doubt. 'Oh my god. That's the girl I sold records too!' Yep, it was Gwen. Not a fan of the band but happy to see a local girl make it too the big time.

Scotty

Very cool story!
She seems like such a normal, quiet person in her private life.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2015 02:53

[email protected]

Scotty

Good stuff Scotty!

I remember them being a local Ska/punk band from Orange County before ever making it big.

Date: December 17, 2015 03:18

latebloomer

*Hey latebloomer, I had a longer time period blocked out like this too/child rearing phase of my life. I think we should name those decades
'Down in the Hole' grinning smiley

Date: December 17, 2015 03:34

35love
latebloomer

*Hey latebloomer, I had a longer time period blocked out like this too/child rearing phase of my life. I think we should name those decades

Under my Thumb fits nicely too, 35. Wouldn't trade those years for anything...though I was sorely tempted a few times to run away and join a Stones tour. grinning smiley

Date: December 17, 2015 03:42

latebloomer
35love
latebloomer

Under my Thumb fits nicely too, 35. Wouldn't trade those years for anything...though I was sorely tempted a few times to run away and join a Stones tour. grinning smiley

*Why do you think I didn't try for tickets again until 2015?
Might of not come back!
Ha Ha I'm blessed too (and I am) but a pretty tough road sometimes.
Happy Holidays to you---

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: December 18, 2015 17:52

what is SD?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home