Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'From the Vault' Series - BluRay Vs DVD
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 12:56

This topic has been discussed on various threads for each respective title, but to have your guys' opinions in one place - I'm pretty new to BluRay, and would like to ask for anyone who has purchased both formats for the Vault series - is there one or more where the BluRay is much better?

The series has been incredible; I revisited Hampton and LA '75 the past few days and it is simply wonderful to have these. In previous years these releases were only dreamed of when discussions of this sort came up. Think about it - Charlieis my Darling, Marquee '71, Checkerboard Lounge, Leeds '82, Texas 1978 (which had been unseen save for the first 6 songs!) - aswell as audio like Brussels '73, Live in England 1965, LA Friday, a full albums' worth of bonus tracks on the 'Some Girls' deluxe, Leeds and Roundhouse '71 - to finally have these, and coming out with regularity, is amazing. Even Ladies and Gentlemen 1972 was brought up so many times previously as an official release we'd all love to see; now we have it!

The series has opened my eyes to tours I hadn't put much faith in previously; Hampton '81 for example was a revelation. Absolutely loved it, and Leeds '82 same. LA '75 I'd had on various bootlegs through the years, the ApocalypseSound was the best copy I had, the official version completely blows it out of the water. And to have a different show on CD, so two LA 1975 shows - Jagger may have been drawling the vocals, but by gum, it's fantastic to have the show in such quality.

I got the BluRay of the Hampton show, and it's wonderful. I'm sure many wrote that LA '75 is much the same whether BluRay or DVD. Any release(s) is particular where BluRay is worth it, I shall be purchasing..

Re: 'From the Vault' Series - BluRay Vs DVD
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 16, 2015 13:51

Good question. basically I think the audio is superior on Bluray, but I don't think there is much difference in video quality between the formats. I beleive the original source were not filmed using the best equipment. For example The Beatles 1967 promo clips from the new issue "1" are stunning in comparison. Maybe they did this because they weren't considering official releases? Anyway I'm happy they're finally out and I buy only Bluray myself.

'From the Vault' Series - BluRay Vs DVD
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 14:52

I would say the blue-ray is better for sound and obviously picture.But i do prefer the larger screen, so end up buying one of each.smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 16, 2015 19:32

After hearing the difference between Some Girls in Texas on DVD and BluRay, I automatically get all the 'new' Stones releases in Bluray. Which left me disappointed that LA '75 is not available in that format.

I see that Ladies and Gentlemen is now available on BluRay. I don't think the original sound on the DVD is very good. Anybody have the BluRay? Is the sound better?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 16, 2015 19:46

Hyde Park '69 blu ray from the vault series should be mentioned as well.
The sound has been improved drastically.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 16, 2015 20:02

Yes the sound is great on the Ladies and Gents Blu-Ray. However, I only have a
DVD bootleg as comparison.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 16, 2015 23:12

The main differences are the refreshed audio mixes on all mentioned releases. On some they benefit the bands performance. On others the clearer audio makes the band sound like a drunken teenage band. Brussels affair springs to mind, as I thought they sounded much better on the old bootlegs. That one not video, though.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 17, 2015 00:17

Usually Blu-ray versions have a higher sound quality (most of the time 24-bit / 96kHz for blu-ray). All blu-ray I've watched/heard were worth it (Marquee Club, Hampton, Sweet Summer Sun...), at the point I've made a copy of the hi-res sound tracks for listening to it instead of the CD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home