Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LA Forum-1975 Amp Speaker setup
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 15:31

I was watching the Stones LA '75 Show on DVD. Some great stuff.

Nice long set list chock full of hits done slightly varied forms.

Was wondering about the on stage speakers they had set up next to the amp. Reminded of Jerry Garcia set up. Looks like a stereo speaker cabinet with the cover removed.

Any details on those? Where they only used for that tour?

Re: LA Forum-1975 Amp Speaker setup
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 15, 2015 23:38

chrism13
I was watching the Stones LA '75 Show on DVD. Some great stuff.

Nice long set list chock full of hits done slightly varied forms.

Was wondering about the on stage speakers they had set up next to the amp. Reminded of Jerry Garcia set up. Looks like a stereo speaker cabinet with the cover removed.

Any details on those? Where they only used for that tour?

Pretty sure they were just additional speaker cabinets used to further project the guitar sounds from the stage. Probably hooked up to the guitar amplifiers additional speaker outputs.

There have been many changes in the way live sound is amplified since 1975. These days a signal from a single microphone on a tiny amplifier can be projected loudly through the PA system and monitor speakers to give the audience and musicians enough volume and a great mix without the need for so much sound from the actual amp and it's speakers. It makes the sound a lot easier to control and prevents feedback and other problems.

Back in the late 60's and 70's there was a propensity for guitarists to have this massively loud sound attack directly from their amps. In fact many 60's rock shows had the PA and all the sound reinforcing equipment positioned behind the band and the band was hearing the same thing as the audience. That is pretty cool when you think about it and there is definitely a disconnect these days. Everyone on stage now has their customized monitor mix and generally NO musician is hearing the whole sound that is projected to the audience.

Re: LA Forum-1975 Amp Speaker setup
Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: December 16, 2015 06:18

Somewhat of a sideline... I saw the Thurs and Sunday shows. Mick used a wireless mike for the first time for maybe 2 or 3 songs, and in the audience you could actually tell the fidelity was a little poorer. But it sure let him run around the stage more, and get ready for the rope flight on Outta Sight without a cable wire around.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1629
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home