Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exhibition with Stones/Keith items
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 10, 2015 21:44

I have a question about a contact you might have, legal issues and and and...
My wife studies Art History at university. The Art History department organizes an exhibition annually and my wife is in the comitee for (April) 2016. These exhibitions are quite famous at her university. It will be held at a public square inside the university buildings and free for everybody.

The theme is "Death". Death should be represented in a variety of artistic forms.

She came across Keith's skelleton ring and I showed her the various record covers and researched quotations by him about the ring. A large advertisement poster item of the Talk Is Cheap album that I asked for at the time in a big German retail store is chosen.
Then I showed her the Voodoo Lounge inside sleeve.

All items were received by the other participants and my wife's professor quite enthusiastically!

I also showed her the Voodoo Stew bootleg box. You certainly know it and it turned out to be enormously interesting under arts aspects! It combines the traditional(ly combined) art subjects Death & Desire. This is not just a tasteful or weird collection of photos of vintage nudes and open coffins!
The person in charge of the art work must be a person of 'knowledge'. The idea to pick up the death theme of the original art work and not just do a nudes album plus a death album with outtakes but to combine them shows some clever mind.

Questions, suggestions and problems:
- As we are in the academic world, there is the necessity to quote correctly. Do you have any idea how to do that as the sleeve doesn't give any information?
- Do you know the artist or producers of Voodoo Stew? We would want to contact and ask them about their motives and motifs - their identity will be protected, of course!
- Is it legal to exhibit a product that is not illegal to possess but surely illegal to produce?
- Is there even an allowance by Rolling Stones/Keith Richards authorities neccessary to show the official items?
- Do they have to be informed anyway?
- Is there a problem if an authorized and an unauthorized item are presented simultanously?

Re: Exhibition with Stones/Keith items
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: December 11, 2015 01:30

Sorry I can't assist w/ the legal questions, but your post brought to mind a notable Keith quote regarding his skull ring:

“The skull – it has nothing to do with bravado and surface bullshit. Beauty is skin-deep. This is what we are all like under the flesh, brother. Take off the hair, pull off the skin, you’re looking at the I and I” [books.google.com]

I don't know if this will be of interest or not, but here is some info on Keith's ring and the history of skull jewelry:

Keith's ring was designed by Courts and Hackett and he acquired it in 1978, according to the Courts and Hacket website [www.courtsandhackett.com]

Having read Courts and Hacket's story about the creation of the ring a few years ago (here: [www.courtsandhackett.com] ), I assumed they had invented the concept of the skull ring (after all, Keith's was the first one I'd ever seen). How wrong I was! I recently learned that skull rings have been around for centuries, known as "Memento Mori" jewelry.

"Memento Mori is a Latin phrase which means “Remember that you will die” and can refer to art, jewelry, or literature that focuses on mortality. Memento Mori as an artistic genre is thought to have originated in Roman times and gained popularity in Europe in the 14th century, which coincidentally was the time of the Black Death. Memento Mori jewelry was decorated with the iconography of death, such as skulls, skeletons, and coffins. It was worn to remind the wearer of their own mortality and to inspire them to live piously and cherish their earthly life."

Keef has obviously taken that "live piously" message to heart winking smiley

Memento Mori Memorial Ring of the 10th Viscount Kilmorey
England, c. 1700 [www.lesenluminures.com]

Re: Exhibition with Stones/Keith items
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 11, 2015 14:26

Thank you, plink - very valuable information.
One aspect why I made this public is that I know of cases that f.e. Stones attorneys have contacted people because they used symbols like the Tongue without permission or were interpreted as indirectly advertising unauthorized material like bootlegs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home